1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefit of the Doubt Goooooorne

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Frogz, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Frogz

Frogz Don't mess with the goat, he has photos. Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 36
    Just on Channel Nein news...Benefit of the doubt rule gone.

And they would know cause they run the game

2. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,825 / 53
    Stupid decision. The concept was not the problem, it was the way Harragon had them interpret it.

If the video replay does not show that a try was not scored, then unless the ref saw it from a better angle it shoudl be a try. After 2 months of the season when sides have been denied valid tries just watch the media and the coaches ask for the rule to be re-introduced.

3. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    I think they are spot on with that one, BOTD should be in the defensive teams favour for me

Another change made is to the Origin rules. From now on a player has to have lived in the state before the age of 13, or have a father that played for that state to be eligible

4. Napper

Napper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +797 / 1
    Love it

5. MadMarcus

Ratings:
    +5,825 / 53
    Just to clarify, if you don't know who your father is then the benefit of the doubt rule applies and you can play for Queensland.

6. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv New Team, New Beginnings 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,410 / 35
    THis is now what will happen with those 50-50 decsions.

''From 2013, referees will make an on-field call in relation to any try-scoring situation. In the event that the match referee has reservations regarding his original decision he will indicate “time out”, signal that the video referee is to be introduced and then signal his on-field decision.

Only in those cases where the video referee believes there is ‘sufficient’ evidence to suggest the on-field decision is incorrect will he overturn the decision. In either case the video referee will communicate the outcome via the scoreboard.''

http://www.nrl.com/commission-rules-on-on-field-issues/tabid/10874/newsid/70537/default.aspx

7. MWSE

MWSE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 2
    The way I interpret that is that its similar to crickets DRS. I like it. Gets rid of the howler and puts the onus on the ref on the field to make a call.

8. mmmdl

mmmdl Active Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 2
    Fantastic decision.

None of this "I think he scored, so we will say he did" rubbish.

BOTD should always have gone to the defensive team, and tries not awarded unless they were certain they were tries.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Now the News Ltd crew (Gallop, Harrigan, etc) is gone we start getting decisions that actually make sense.

Finally the referee is expected to actually make a decision.

10. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv New Team, New Beginnings 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,410 / 35
    I was thinking the same, its sounds a lot like drs. Further more the drs similar thing called captains call will be undergoing further trialling this yr in under 20s

11. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,549 / 32
    About time. Now get rid of the video ref and go back to one referee on the field...

12. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58
    It'll be interesting to see how the league community react when the on field ref makes a howler of a decision and doesn't use the video ref as he is sure of what he saw.

Will there be the chorus of "we have the technology, just use it!" again or will we all simply accept the mistake?

13. MWSE

MWSE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 2
    People will always whinge and complain about refs. The fact of the matter is there will always be mistakes, and we just have to accept that over time they will even out. Refs (remarkably) are just human.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    The DRS is a good comparison, although I do hope they just leave it up to the refs to refer it and do away with these captains challenges.

15. globaleagle

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58
    Oh I agree with you. Just wondering how long before we hear Gus say "Can you imagine a grand final decided on that decision?" when a ref makes a shocker.

16. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,353 / 111
    The touch judges are going to look so lost if they also have to make decisions. They haven't done that in years.

17. globaleagle

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58

"You're out of touch, judge!" is my standard line I yell at them every game I go to.

*trademarked!

18. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,801 / 122
    Such as Foran's try that was ridiculously disallowed in the 2011 grand final? I think most refs would have called that a try, so the change may be an improvement. We'll see…

19. MadMarcus

Ratings:
    +5,825 / 53
    Unless the standard of refereeing improves, there will be just as many bad decisions under this system as there were under the old one imo.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brookie

Brookie Well-Known Member

Swinger Hill
    Ratings:
    +216 / 4
    lol, never heard that before - but i'm gonna use it!
    provided there are no legal issues?