• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hi all. Here is a left field 5/8 option I havent heard discussed. What about DCE's great mate Ben Barba. We all know mateship is what makes a great side and players realise their full potential. Given the club recruited Myles on this basis why not Barba. Just read the sharks have serious cap pressure and maybe there is a chance they would pay part of his salary next year given he is on the nose. At his best he has been devestating and I think DCE and his family may be the stabilising influence he needs to become an even better player. Thoughts?

I'd rather have his brother Marmot..
images.jpg

The problem with Barba (where do I start) is that he no longer has the blistering acceleration that made him so dangerous in 2011-2012. He suffered a series of crippling knee injuries and lost the only real weapon in his arsenal.

Snake had some knee issues but there we so many other facets of his game that made him great, he was able to maintain a level of impact that Barba can only dream of.

Two clubs (Donkeys and Sharks) have found out the hard way the this guy is simply not (and never will be) the same player he was three years ago.

As i said lets see how he goes tomorrow on hallowed turf but its logical dce will put a word in for him.....the point i was trying to make was around mateship and culture. We are all in with DCE now. He will be captain before long and has already shown his pull in recruitment.

A few other washed up players who worked spring to mind BK Perry Wolf Horo. Plenty that didnt as well granted.

If the price is right on a short term option and performance based deal you never know...

Here is another one Shaun Nona. Won Q cup and that pre gf game vs nsw premiers with the Northern Pride and the storm signed him. Hasnt had a run but been in the NRL system training with them. He would cost nothing and he is a very creative player with a top drawer kicking game.

As a 5/8....the Scumdogs moved him to fullback. Then he went to the Donkeys and was found wanting at both fullback and 5/8, and now at the Sharks he can't unseat Gordon from the back and he's playing behind a rookie at pivot.

The 2012 Dally M Medal winner can't even crack a regular starting spot at the Sharks in 2015. That alone should tell the story.

Kinda reminds me of another Scumdogs player Ewan McGrady. Won the Rothmans Medal in 1991, then went downhill from there and eventually ended up at Wests where he only played 4 games in 1994 before his career came to an end. Barba's career will probably last longer than McGrady's did, but I doubt he will ever get anywhere near to his 2012 form.

Last edited:
Jesus christ no.
Bozo is too smart to sign Barba. Although im sure Josh Massoud will read this, take this thread as legit and it will be a big 7 News story on Tuesday night

Myles signing had nothing to do with being Chez's mate. That angle is yet another Media rumour :mad:

He was looking to move back to Sydney once his wife recovered. Tessa wants to get back to acting and she drove the move.
Manly, needing experience in the engine room, just put in an offer that Myles accepted @:cool:

I get what you're saying but he is definitely NOT a 5/8! I think the fantasy of him shifting to 5/8 is just that, a fantasy! A fantasy that was well told, and sold, by his Manager!

Looking at the basic fundamental skills required to play 5/8 and the skills he's displayed as a fullback, on the surface it seems like an option that could work. Lockyer is a great example of a fullback making a successful shift to 5/8. A good argument would be that since Barber is such a talented player and a good learner, he could easily learn and adapt the other skills he will require to be successful at 5/8.

Now Barber is a player that needs space and time with the ball which is why he is suited at fullback! Fullback also means he doesn't have to think to much and can play his natural instinctive, reactive game off the back of set plays organized by his halves and platform laid by his forwards!

Moving Barber to 5/8 means he has to think and organise his troops, he has to get his hands on the ball more often with less 'ball in hand' time and he would have to tackle more often requiring a higher fatigue threshold. At 5/8 he is also positioned right in the line off attack which takes away his ability to stand back and see both the attacking and defensive lines and see the play unfold and the defensive holes so he can pick the right moment to inject himself into the attack.

If Barber could adapt to 5/8, after a full preseason and a half a dozen games, no he won't be perfect, but he should have shown some improvement and learn from his mistakes...... But he didn't!
Take Milford for example, he is constantly improving at 5/8 every week and the more he's settling into 5/8 the more natural 5/8 is becoming, and all those skills he displayed at fullback are now becoming more and more previlant in his game at 5/8.

Some players can learn and adapt to any position at any time but there are also some players that just can't. And it's not a lack of ability or hunger or training nor is it a lack of quality coaching, its simply that sometimes a player just can't 'get it' which inhibits their ability to adapt and successfully play that position.... And this is the case with Barber.

Taking nothing away from his abilities, he's proven himself a great freakish player but he simply just does not have that natural thinking, organizing and ball play execution brain mentality required to at play 5/8. Even if he did have his best buddy DCE to lead the way, at some point he has to be able to think, create and execute for himself, and unfortunately for Barber at 5/8 he just can't!!

I get what you're saying but he is definitely NOT a 5/8! I think the fantasy of him shifting to 5/8 is just that, a fantasy! A fantasy that was well told, and sold, by his Manager!

Looking at the basic fundamental skills required to play 5/8 and the skills he's displayed as a fullback, on the surface it seems like an option that could work. Lockyer is a great example of a fullback making a successful shift to 5/8. A good argument would be that since Barber is such a talented player and a good learner, he could easily learn and adapt the other skills he will require to be successful at 5/8.

Now Barber is a player that needs space and time with the ball which is why he is suited at fullback! Fullback also means he doesn't have to think to much and can play his natural instinctive, reactive game off the back of set plays organized by his halves and platform laid by his forwards!

Moving Barber to 5/8 means he has to think and organise his troops, he has to get his hands on the ball more often with less 'ball in hand' time and he would have to tackle more often requiring a higher fatigue threshold. At 5/8 he is also positioned right in the line off attack which takes away his ability to stand back and see both the attacking and defensive lines and see the play unfold and the defensive holes so he can pick the right moment to inject himself into the attack.

If Barber could adapt to 5/8, after a full preseason and a half a dozen games, no he won't be perfect, but he should have shown some improvement and learn from his mistakes...... But he didn't!
Take Milford for example, he is constantly improving at 5/8 every week and the more he's settling into 5/8 the more natural 5/8 is becoming, and all those skills he displayed at fullback are now becoming more and more previlant in his game at 5/8.

Some players can learn and adapt to any position at any time but there are also some players that just can't. And it's not a lack of ability or hunger or training nor is it a lack of quality coaching, its simply that sometimes a player just can't 'get it' which inhibits their ability to adapt and successfully play that position.... And this is the case with Barber.

Taking nothing away from his abilities, he's proven himself a great freakish player but he simply just does not have that natural thinking, organizing and ball play execution brain mentality required to at play 5/8. Even if he did have his best buddy DCE to lead the way, at some point he has to be able to think, create and execute for himself, and unfortunately for Barber at 5/8 he just can't!!
Great response i think thats shut the idea down for me.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4