Battle of Hastings 1066 Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Should Hastings be given a go as a starting half in the NRL side?

• Total voters

midsteyne

loyal forever
Is that you Ted Turner? He raced the converted 12 metre class yacht (Eagle) in the 1971 Sydney to Hobart.

Its new name? American Eagle.
Simon.........i'm in a dilemma over Hastings. I tend to agree that he's not going to get the team out of the s%&t, however he certainly is a better 5/8 than Croker & Walker! His selection policy is that of someone who doesn't know what to do. He weakens our Center position & puts Walker at 5/8 after it was evident to everyone in 2016 that he wasn't a 5/8. He brings in Suli (which i'm not complaining about) yet won't give Tom Wright a chance to show what he's got at 5/8?? Many say his defense is suspect....well can't be any worse than what Blake Green's was! He is much younger, extremely quick, has a good kicking game, makes a lot of line breaks & can organize! None of us really know what Barrett's agenda against Hastings is but I can see many of our young stars leaving this club to find opportunity elsewhere. Tom Wright, Manase Fainu to name a few. These guys will end up biting our butts & Barrett can take full responsibility.
He is not a better fit in the team if he is the problem that 3 clubs have described,YOU CANNOT FIT A SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
He is not a better fit in the team if he is the problem that 3 clubs have described,YOU CANNOT FIT A SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE.
If you cant fit a square in a hole then why did a bigger hole for him and our other players and play him at Blacktown ?
The moral of the story is......... if the cap fits , wear it :party::party::party:

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Look, whether we like it or not Barrett obviously isn't going to pick Hastings in the first grade 17 and I suspect the only reason he has even been named in the 21 this week is simply because we have no choice because he's one of the only 21 fit players we currently have.

Barrett probably knows that Jacko is the best player we currently have to play 5/8, but there is obviously a lot more to this than has been made public, hence the reason that the #6 jumper is being handed to Dylan Walker again.

I do fully expect the club to go hard after Todd Carney now in light of his and our situation. But unless Hastings is one of only 17 fit players at the club then don't expect him to be playing first grade NRL for Manly any time soon, or even any more.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Look, whether we like it or not Barrett obviously isn't going to pick Hastings in the first grade 17 and I suspect the only reason he has even been named in the 21 this week is simply because we have no choice because he's one of the only 21 fit players we currently have.

Barrett probably knows that Jacko is the best player we currently have to play 5/8, but there is obviously a lot more to this than has been made public, hence the reason that the #6 jumper is being handed to Dylan Walker again.

I do fully expect the club to go hard after Todd Carney now in light of his and our situation. But unless Hastings is one of only 17 fit players at the club then don't expect him to be playing first grade NRL for Manly any time soon, or even any more.
I hope all this is sorted out sooner than later so we can give our season a chance

Our whole undoing in this Hastings saga are the leaks to the press. When there are leaks it illustrates that there are problems with the culture of the club. TB also should never have commented about Hastings without full club investigation. The club management should have supported TB more on this issue and they should have been reponsible for press releases and not TB and / or players. Also Hastings should have shut his mouth and instead cried to the press. It was poor leadership by the club and a failure in process. The fact that we are all divided over Hastings is not good for the long term health of our club. I 've decided that if something is rotten, then throw it out.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Our whole undoing in this Hastings saga are the leaks to the press. When there are leaks it illustrates that there are problems with the culture of the club. TB also should never have commented about Hastings without full club investigation. The club management should have supported TB more on this issue and they should have been reponsible for press releases and not TB and / or players. Also Hastings should have shut his mouth and instead cried to the press. It was poor leadership by the club and a failure in process. The fact that we are all divided over Hastings is not good for the long term health of our club. I 've decided that if something is rotten, then throw it out.

The "interesting" thing in your list is Hasting's interview ..... in fact he went to great lengths to NOT to slag Baz or Manly .....

My "take" on this is that he doesn't wish to force Manly into a position where they need to defend themselves by divulging a "chronicle of madness"

PSS ... and there I go adding to the 77 pages .... SOMEONE PLEASE CALL GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!

The "interesting" thing in your list is Hasting's interview ..... in fact he went to great lengths to NOT to slag Baz or Manly .....

My "take" on this is that he doesn't wish to force Manly into a position where they need to defend themselves by divulging a "chronicle of madness"

PSS ... and there I go adding to the 77 pages .... SOMEONE PLEASE CALL GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!
Haha ..It's a never ending story. I get that Hastings did his best not to bag the club and TB. But if he is actually as respectful as he conducted himself in the presser, what is the bloody problem ?

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Haha ..It's a never ending story. I get that Hastings did his best not to bag the club and TB. But if he is actually as respectful as he conducted himself in the presser, what is the bloody problem ?

As another member posted .... even Geoffrey Darmer (or whoever the serial killer was) would sound normal and respectful in a one on one interview ....

• 😆
Reactions: Ned

weev

Bencher
Hastings must know now he has next to zero chance of playing top grade. Croker’s injury didnt help him. He should really find a new club ASAP if he wants to further his career. The rest of the year in reserve grade will dent his value.

He’s done everything right since this blow up and he could cap it off with a self directed move. I bet the club could carry some of his cost, they seem fond of doing that.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I'm afraid I find Barrett's selections somewhat confusing, but then as I've said I'm no coach. He stuck with Walker at 5/8 for much of last year, yet he's using him there again. To me that weakens the centres and is questionable regarding the 5/8 value. He stuck with Brown for extended periods, persisted with Myles, let go Buhrrer and Symonds, has been selecting Matt and Johnno Wright, despite at best adequate performances in first grade since beginning of 2017. He had the advantage of using Hastings at 5/8 from the beginning of '18, a player who had performed quite well at Sydney City in the halves, yet picks young Croker, who had played one game in firsts and had not set the world alight in reserves at Canberra. Though Api has improved dramatically, he let Parcell go mid way through his contract, a player who is wowwing them in England and could easily played in the halves. And now after having Tom Wright three times in his extended team he goes for a still unfit Suli in the cnetres. Meanwhile Anderson and Fainu, could be brought up to eligibility, yet they remain untouched even though we have only about 21-22 players available.

I think when things are going well he's not a bad coach. But he seems to keep using the tried and failed options rather than try someone new (Suli excepted). Its almost like he's given up. If he doesnt up the performances I suspect his days are numbered at Manly

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
What is the problem ? Who knows ? I don't .
All I know is that the buck stops at the coach when things drag on and get out of hand .
A coaches role has evolved over the years ...
The skills that a quality coach possess are
Leadership
Motivation
Communication
Innovation
Morale builder
On top of all that he also needs to be an affective counselor , dealing with and resolving personal and intra group conflicts .

Last edited:

Fluffy

Journey Man
I'm afraid I find Barrett's selections somewhat confusing, but then as I've said I'm no coach. He stuck with Walker at 5/8 for much of last year, yet he's using him there again. To me that weakens the centres and is questionable regarding the 5/8 value. He stuck with Brown for extended periods, persisted with Myles, let go Buhrrer and Symonds, has been selecting Matt and Johnno Wright, despite at best adequate performances in first grade since beginning of 2017. He had the advantage of using Hastings at 5/8 from the beginning of '18, a player who had performed quite well at Sydney City in the halves, yet picks young Croker, who had played one game in firsts and had not set the world alight in reserves at Canberra. Though Api has improved dramatically, he let Parcell go mid way through his contract, a player who is wowwing them in England and could easily played in the halves. And now after having Tom Wright three times in his extended team he goes for a still unfit Suli in the cnetres. Meanwhile Anderson and Fainu, could be brought up to eligibility, yet they remain untouched even though we have only about 21-22 players available.

I think when things are going well he's not a bad coach. But he seems to keep using the tried and failed options rather than try someone new (Suli excepted). Its almost like he's given up. If he doesnt up the performances I suspect his days are numbered at Manly

I know I am getting old now but I thought Green was our 5/8 for much of last year

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Each to their own @Woodsie , what else should we all talk about?
The fact that it has polarised so many of the punters should tell you that there is genuine interest in the SAGA. Hastings has done bugger all for Manly as you keep saying, but he hasn't had much of an opportunity to "PLAY"...which I think is all that most want to see, an opportunity to see if he has got what we need. Anyway, there are many pages to fill on this topic yet...that's my guess anyway

Alas ... I fear that you may be correct ....

The Who

Journey Man
A good coach puts the best interests of the team ahead of his own ego.
Keeping Hastings in reserve grade is an ego-driven decision.
Up until now I've been prepared to give Twenty the benefit of the doubt. But this latest selection - using a proven 5/8th failure - just to punish Hastings should be his undoing as a coach.
I'm sure most of us have played sport with a player/players we didn't like. Hell, I even had a dressing room punch-up with a fellow player because we both blamed one another for a loss. (turns out we both had a point) But that was quickly forgotten for the ultimate betterment of the team.

What is the problem ? Who knows ? I don't .
All I know is that the buck stops at the coach when things drag on and get out of hand .
A coaches role has evolved over the years ...
The skills that a quality coach possess are
Leadership
Motivation
Communication
Innovation
Morale builder
On top of all that he also needs to be an affective counselor , dealing with and resolving personal and intra group conflicts .
I agree with you there @BOZO . The coach's role is crucial. He is responsible for creating a good culture and environment amongst the playing group. Hastings issue aside, the fact that a group of players have broken curfew lends me to believe that he hasn't got the respect of the playing group. There's obviously a lot going on in the team dynamic in terms of cohesion and discipline that's not right. Should the club management be offering more support? Could they be doing more? Perhaps. But TB has a lot to answer for.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I agree with you there @BOZO . The coach's role is crucial. He is responsible for creating a good culture and environment amongst the playing group. Hastings issue aside, the fact that a group of players have broken curfew lends me to believe that he hasn't got the respect of the playing group. There's obviously a lot going on in the team dynamic in terms of cohesion and discipline that's not right. Should the club management be offering more support? Could they be doing more? Perhaps. But TB has a lot to answer for.
What is done is done . I hope we can learn from all this and be wiser from it, get on and move on .
Time to concentrate on the footy on the field and win some games
All the fans care is about Manly being great again and wining games.
e47af799b3af3edc72bd86f17ce221ea.jpg

lurker

Beaver lover
This thread is going to reach 100 pages easily. You'd think he was a future immortal!

Edit: i'll make sure i say something controversial whenever it starts to die down just so my prediction holds true. @:D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13