• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Harmless27

Reserve Grader
I can't help but notice that there has been considerable silence on this site regarding Mr Bailey in the last few weeks......

I must admit - i am not necessarily sold on this guy myself, but it is interesting how a few quick wins tends to shut people up.

The real test for this guy will be around Origin.  With key players out for a couple of games (Gifty, Choc, Lyon, Kite) we will miss the ball playing skills of Gifty and Lyon - it will show if bailey has what is required to support the team leading into a finals campaign....

Luckily we should have JHW, Cuthbo, T-Rex to stand in for us come origin time - but it will the engine room of 1,6,7,9 that will determine how well we perform.  For me, the pressure falls squarely on Bailey's shoulders.....

The next couple of months will be very interesting....

I don't think the pressure falls "squarely" on his shoulders. All the remaining players have to step up, and this includes Bailey.

I watched the game again last night and watched Bailey in particular. I came to the same conclusion that I did at the ground & that is that he seems to be slotting in more & more. There are quite a few of them sharing the duties in the halves now & that makes us look more dangerous than earlier on. If they keep building on what they're doing, we can have one or two of the playmakers out of the team & it probably wont be that noticeable.

His defense has been up to scratch but forming partnerships for attack takes some time - look at how long it took Killer to really shine. I agree with Duff that he seems more comfortable and more dangerous with each passing week.

I like the guy as a player, but Jamie Lyon is the best player in the world at the moment and has won a premiership playing at 5/8.

Bailey to the centres or bench and killer to 5/8 full time for me.

Bailey plays the same as Burns. Stifles the attack a bit. Doesn't make too many line breaks. Solid defender. Doesn't create very well.

He needs to lift.

I still think Lyon should be 5/8 - with a backline of:-

01. Stewart
02. Robbo
03. Matai
04. D. Williams
05. Bani
06. Lyon
07. Ox

For this to work, Bani would need to man up as well.

I love Lyon at centre though. He looks threatening almost every touch. As much as i want Lyon back at 5/8.. i love him at centre. Bailey is doing okay enough for now.

Bailey is OK, certainly seems like he can offer more than Burns that's for sure. I haven't been impressed nor disappointed with his efforts this season to be honest. He hasn't set the world on fire, nor has he been our worst. He does tend to take the line on a bit, but there is nothing wrong with that if there is nothing else on. I didn't really have high expectations of him anyway as he didn't really stand out in Newcastle. If Lyon is to stay at centre then Bailey looks like he deserves a little more time to warm to the spot, he looks like he could get some good balls away and might build a good partnership with G Stewart on the fringes. His kicking game could do with some work though.

Bailey to stay for me. I like the cut of his jib... always have.

Lyon is killing it because Lyon is an outstanding centre.. always has been. He's also killing it because Bailey is giving him early ball which is all he really has to do on the side of the ruck... feed the ball on the stewy and Lyon early... they will do the rest.

On the otherside... he's looking to hit choc or go out the back to matai or go himself...

More than happy with Bailey... he'll get better as we go.

Nutzcraw link said:
Lyon is killing it because Lyon is an outstanding centre.. always has been. He's also killing it because Bailey is giving him early ball

I couldn't agree more. There is no way Lyon would be as dominant as he has been if he was playing  5/8

Bailey's lateral defence has improved, has always been dominant head-on but now looks somewhat sharper.  In attack and defence he is a hard yards man - doesn't get pushed back and consistently progresses the ball.  Ball runners might target running late off his right shoulder in particular because he often pokes his head and arms through and looks ready for an offload. Kicking game still pretty poor and vision could be improved.  

Early distribution to Gift and Lyon seems to be his current core attacking role, apart from taking the hard yards with a possible offload. Way better than Burns - and not because of any effort deficiency from Burns. Maybe he needs Joey Johns to give him the vision, tactical and kicking tips he gave to Lyon last year.

Sometimes it's the combination and understanding that's more important than the individual abilities. That's still in the developing stages.

Rex and Duff I agree.  Bailey is going OK.  I was concerned at the start of the season but I can see definite improvement.  Pokes his head through like Rodney and is good defensively.  Difficult to see him getting a good game going with Orford for the obvious reasons I won't go on about.  So that means working with his backs to ensure they're more effective.  Pity Brett's absent.  Ryan I hope Bani's gone.  I see better options with Big Tony. 

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8