1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auckland Nines off-limits to English clubs

Discussion in 'News' started by Jethro, Feb 21, 2014.

By Jethro on Feb 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM
  1. Jethro

    Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    7,128
    1,492
    Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    LEADING English clubs will not be included in next year’s Nines despite the NRL’s profits surging past $50 million after a seven-figure windfall from the pre-season extravaganza in Auckland.

    Read More
     

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Jethro, Feb 21, 2014.

    1. Jethro

      Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

      7,128
      1,492
      Ratings:
      +1,897 / 7
      LEADING English clubs will not be included in next year’s Nines despite the NRL’s profits surging past $50 million after a seven-figure windfall from the pre-season extravaganza in Auckland.

      The success of the Nines also may not be enough to entice Maroons ace Greg Inglis, who indicated yesterday he is likely to miss the second instalment of the tournament next year.

      As revealed by The Courier-Mail, Super League clubs Wigan and Bradford lodged expressions of interest to play in this year’s Nines but were knocked back by organisers.

      NRL chief executive Dave Smith said last week the governing body would consider English applications for next year’s Nines but it is understood the event will remain off-limits to Super League, with stakeholders reluctant to tinker with a formula that delivered a $3 million-plus bonanza to the NRL and its 16 clubs.

      While the clubs pocketed $2.25m in prizemoney, the NRL will bank an estimated $1m, consolidating the $49.6m surplus it announced at last week’s chief executives meeting in Auckland.

      English giants Wigan were desperate to be part of the abbreviated tournament next year, but a number of impediments will preclude a Super League presence in Auckland.

      The chief concern is the hectic schedule, with this year’s event featuring 31 games in 48 hours. Broncos coach Anthony Griffin was one of several prominent figures to flag player workload issues and organisers are aware more teams could lead to more games, placing a greater strain on NRL stars.

      Tournament organisers footed a hefty accommodation and transport bill for the NRL clubs, although English teams may be willing to fund their own trip to New Zealand.

      The Courier-Mail understands next year’s Nines is likely to be staged earlier, around January 30-31, to avoid a clash with the Cricket World Cup, which starts next February in Australia and New Zealand.

      Griffin urged organisers to bring the event forward to aid player welfare, but a January time frame would almost certainly sideline Inglis for the second consecutive year.

      Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire wrapped Inglis in cotton wool for this year’s event and the Queensland flyer admits he is at long odds to play next year.

      “I don’t think I’ll be able to play if they are looking to move it forward because we (Australia) have the Four Nations at the end of (the NRL season),’’ Inglis said.

      Warriors recruit Sam Tomkins is keen for England teams to appear at next year’s Nines, but the British international’s plea is likely to fall on deaf ears.

      “It’s definitely something I would like to see,’’ Tomkins said.

      “I don’t see why they shouldn’t do it. There is enough room for another few teams in this.

      “The World Club Challenge is such a big thing for English fans, there is such interest in that.

      “If there was a guest side or an English side in the Nines each year it would only attract more fans.

      “I think it would be a great thing for the tournament to build on its success.’’

      Wallabies convert Israel Folau praised the success of the Nines.

      “I watched the Nines and thought it was a good concept,” the former Bronco said.

      “The fans in New Zealand really enjoyed it. That’s something that’s good for league as well.’’


      Peter Badel

      http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/auckland-nrl-nines-tournament-to-remain-offlimits-to-leading-super-league-clubs/story-fniabjcr-1226833050742
       
    2. Daddycool08

      Daddycool08 Well-Known Member

      779
      281
      Ratings:
      +371 / 4
      Well, that'll do me.

      The NRL has an opportunity to include the SL English clubs and WONT?

      You are kidding NRL. You are absolutely kidding.

      My suggestion - include all 14 clubs invite PNG and FIJI and have 32 clubs over 4 days.

      Oh, says the NRL we can't do that it may cost us money. Even though the English would fund their own trip. (Also the NRL pocketed over a million for one weekend as well.) Oh well it's player work-load. (Even though in many cases there is only a half strength squad.)

      This is why being a fan of the game and watching the perceived ineptitude of the NRL hold back the development of the game as stated by Rebecca Wilson a 'respected' league journalist a who wrote an article a few days ago about Smith and the attitude of the NRL.

      And when we fans complain such as I am now what do we get. We don't want to listen we wont respond to you even though, they tell us, we are the life-blood of the game while trying to flog us membership deals.

      I will say the nines was the only time I ever watched a game that Manly wasn't in for years.

      You are killing the game in my opinion. :huh:
       

Share This Page