Are the NRL risking the player's welfare seeking to speed up the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
A report in Fox Sport today about Englishman Stevie Ward retiring at age 27 because of multiple concussions with the title suggesting that the current generation of players are being treated like guinea pigs. I am of the view that the NRL has been overly hasty introducing new rules without due diligence which might come back and haunt them in the future in the form of legal proceedings brought by players suffering from ongoing problems from concussion related injuries. Thoughts?

I don't understand how you can attribute more concussions to a speedier game?
Look back at matches from the 60s and 70s and you'll see many more head shots, and players staying on the field despite them.
We all recall Manly in the 1970s playing a host of finals matches within a two week period which would never be allowed these days.
It would seem that today's administrators are much more attuned to players' welfare than at any time in the sport.

Bigger fresh forwards = bigger impact. We should now see more of the little guy getting a run with the new rules, running around the bigger tired forwards

Decades ago the game was known for toughness, bravery and thuggery in roughly equal amounts. Oh, and athleticism and some skills.
The thuggery has largely gone at least at NRL level, but maybe the fear of legal repercussions has the game's bean counters thinking they can replace collisions and toughness with a bit more speed?
Who knows what they are thinking, they tweak the rules every year and I assumed the main motivation was the sponsor dollars.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8