1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apology and Sorry

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Canteen Worker, Feb 13, 2008.

Are you in support of the Apology made by the Government to the Aboriginal People?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 5:28 PM.
  1. Heck Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No Way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    What is your view on the apology?

2. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    takes to much time away from the important things in life
    like sport

3. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Undecided.

Although at least Rudd followed through on a election promise.  Wonder how much it will cost us in future.

4. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I'd imagine Byso is wearing a black armband to pay support to his hero's view that this is a "black armband view of history".

5. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    I'm sorry it took Matas 4 replies to this thread to weigh in with his predictable reply.

6. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    I think it is about time. Compo won't come of it and really though if it does, in all honesty they ****ing deserve it.

This period was a blight on our nations history and this is the right step towards a unified and better nation.

7. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    I think they very much deserve an appology, however, without attaching responsibility.

I just wonder what an appology feels like though coming from people who didn't commit the crime.

Its like a murderers mum saying sorry to you for what her son did to your wife. I would find it quite empty to be honest.

8. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Sure fLIP but it is better than denying it or any wrongs like Howard

9. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Did I say they should deny any wrongs like Howard?

I said to me an appology would feel empty nto coming from the perpetraitors and that the appology should not be seen as taking responsibility for what happened.

That said, it would be nice to know that the current government accepts what sections of the aboriginal community have been through.

I'm 1/12th aboriginal. It doesn't mean anything to me. ;)

10. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    I'm OK with it, but I prefered Nelsons response.

11. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    No and I didn't say that you did. what I am saying is given the alternative what would you prefer.

So you have the choice

1 - The ppl who did all that **** are long dead and gone so No apology at all
    2 - One from the ancestors and now people who run the nation?

2 is far better than 1

12. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    long dead???

it was still happening in the 1970s Dan.

13. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    1969 to be precise, but not to the extent it was when it started in the mid 1870's through to around 1960's. More specifically from the early 1900's until the laws ending.

The people who passed and came up with the laws are Long Gone, many of the people involved and who policed the laws are long gone, the few that are left were well in reality carrying on an outdated law, in a still very racist Australia.

The law was finally quashed in 1969 and that is when things changed rapidly.

Do you have some names of those still living who were directly responsible for this?, I doubt it!

14. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Oh and further more to my last post, public awareness on the issue wasn't widespread until the 1980's or 1990's.

I could go on all day

15. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    if you say so Dan, i am not Matas and have no intention of playing your little games.

If you honestly think this practice stopped in 1969 you are a fool.

"You could go on all day"?? we all know that you can,and do.

16. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    the reality is that in some cases sure it may have carried on beyond 1969, but at the same time the law was overturned so were many passed changing the practice and recognising other rights of indiginous people.

It still stands. Name those living that were responsible beyond 1969, even those living at all!

17. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    At least I didn't mention that the genocide continues to be swept under the carpet.

Quite easy to say "sorry" for removing kids from homes when secretly the vast majority of white Australians still think "it was for their own good".

Quite another thing to admit to deliberately disposing of them with hunting parties and raping their women to create a half caste population so their land can be expropriated. 

18. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    no worries Pavlovs Dog

19. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Sounds like a lot of living in the past to me. The whole point of this "sorry" business is to enable people to move forward. Inclusiveness and progress.

20. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    No it isnt, its to make politicians and bleeding hearts feel better, if nothing is done to go along with it it is absolutely worthless.