Api /Hastings or Both

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The dummy half role is the lychpin of the spine...decides tempo, first point of Every attack, kicking, momentum and so much more.
Firstly Api
This blokes toughness including some big aggressive defence is top shelf.
A true competitor.
His service from dummy half is not slick and often puts his runners under pressure but his running game is better than he gets credit for...to be fair, I feel torn on Api....love his aggressive old school attitude and is a good footy player...but at times like when we needed points in Raiders red zone last night with chances in the first half...service was at vital times, slow and looked disorganised.
Hastings
Added direction immediately and far crisper service.
Again we are lucky here - a serious competitor who adds more vocal than ANY Manly player...another plus.
Seems very sharp and tends to get the options right...attack flowed off this.
Did notice the big boppers picking him out and though his defence is not poor and in fact - enthusiastic....gets rolled more than Api and did allow momentum in that ruck from this...but hey...it was big Raiders here!!
I like them both but have questions.
Do we keep the current setup or reverse the rotation...is it good enough?
Is there room for both?
Is Hastings our long term 5/8....half.

Api has made some crusial errors late in the game, i dont think he is an 80 min player. His passing is still below average.
Hastings has had very limited game time at 9 but has done all he has been asked.

The dummy half role is the lychpin of the spine...decides tempo, first point of Every attack, kicking, momentum and so much more.
Firstly Api
This blokes toughness including some big aggressive defence is top shelf.
A true competitor.
His service from dummy half is not slick and often puts his runners under pressure but his running game is better than he gets credit for...to be fair, I feel torn on Api....love his aggressive old school attitude and is a good footy player...but at times like when we needed points in Raiders red zone last night with chances in the first half...service was at vital times, slow and looked disorganised.
Hastings
Added direction immediately and far crisper service.
Again we are lucky here - a serious competitor who adds more vocal than ANY Manly player...another plus.
Seems very sharp and tends to get the options right...attack flowed off this.
Did notice the big boppers picking him out and though his defence is not poor and in fact - enthusiastic....gets rolled more than Api and did allow momentum in that ruck from this...but hey...it was big Raiders here!!
I like them both but have questions.
Do we keep the current setup or reverse the rotation...is it good enough?
Is there room for both?
Is Hastings our long term 5/8....half.
Mate I just posted on the other thread exactly that. I think TB should swap game time with the 2 of them. Hastings kicking ability is needed urgently. I had Raiders half time - Manly full-time for a $220 collect but thanks to Walker's shank miss out........ Bugger

Feel for you qldeagle - I had a blow up last year on that H/F result and got jibbed - I was into em saying how can it be fulltime when in tomorrows papers it shows Manly win by 2 at FT?? They are jokin!!
Yep I agree - Hastings adds that sharpness early that we lack and its a tough call - cause Api is going in nuts n all and his tackling at times last night was unbelievable on the big Raiders pack.
Tell you a good 1 I found on Sportsbet - Margins betting...
HT you pick 1-4 / 5-8 / 9+....into the same for FT
Odds are crazy and for like a sneaky $5 - payout $200 and more!!

If one of them wasn't in the side last night who would we realistically have brought in? If Lussick, Perrett and Bainbridge are injured our next in line is Lane. I believe his defense would have lost us the game.

I think it really goes to show @susan was spot on @maxta. Api has so many tools in his belt. Defends like a champion, finds a hole like a champion, plays like a half when required, is up tempo and intense etc etc etc.

But when Hastings came on, we played much more direct. His service out of dummy half was exceptional.

It's such a tough one, because you don't want to fix, what isn't broken.

I think it really goes to show @susan was spot on @maxta. Api has so many tools in his belt. Defends like a champion, finds a hole like a champion, plays like a half when required, is up tempo and intense etc etc etc.

But when Hastings came on, we played much more direct. His service out of dummy half was exceptional.

Could Api be our version of Josh Reynolds? Fatal flaws in his game and yet brings something to the team more often than not.

Hastings stability is whats needed in this side. He is class player being wasted on the bench imo. He has all the tricks in his bag and you can see the side change straight away when he came on. Our forwards will have an easier life with him at 9 with that roll he provides. Its crazy the limited game time he is getting.
Api's rocks or diamonds tendency can't be the backbone of our spine. His aggression, explosiveness and energy is massive for the side but his unstableness hurts us and the worst times. Having him on the bench will be the best call having him fresh and focused for short stints.
Hastings needs to start with goal kicking duties (83%) for mine.

Hastings stability is whats needed in this side. He is class player being wasted on the bench imo. He has all the tricks in his bag and you can see the side change straight away when he came on. Our forwards will have an easier life with him at 9 with that roll he provides. Its crazy the limited game time he is getting.
Api's rocks or diamonds tendency can't be the backbone of our spine. His aggression, explosiveness and energy is massive for the side but his unstableness hurts us and the worst times. Having him on the bench will be the best call having him fresh and focused for short stints.
Hastings needs to start with goal kicking duties (83%) for mine.

Great post. Please post more !

• 👍
Reactions: Ben
I'd be happy to keep the current arrangement but goal kicking is a real concern for us. I understand Hastings is an excellent kicker. We need that.

I notice also that when Hastings comes on his job seems to simply involve service from dummy half. He never runs the ball. He had good opportunities late in the game last night but completely ignored them.

Fucek it. I wish Api could kick goals and pass a little better.

But it is broken. Our attack was not up to scratch last night, and that was because Api's service wasn't good enough. Fortunately we have the answer sitting on the bench in Hastings. We looked like a first grade team in attack when he came on. We didn't before that.

The problem is that Api is not a hooker - he's a half. He doesn't ace the passing game a modern delay hooker needs, and if he hasn't got it by now, he never will have it.

I can hack Api being part of the mix - even if he starts - his defence is much better than Hastings so that might actually be best - but Hastings must get much more game time.

I hope we don't lose Hastings, but if he doesn't get a fair go he will leave.

Was thinking about this last night @Turbo1 . If you're Tim Cleary, you seek a 3-4 year extension NOW before his stock dramatically rises. That's how you get those bargain buys. See if his management team nibbles.

I can see him as the long term replacement for either Blake Green, Api Koroisou or Lewis Brown. Offer him $125k per season for 4 years or something?

But it is broken. Our attack was not up to scratch last night, and that was because Api's service wasn't good enough. Fortunately we have the answer sitting on the bench in Hastings. We looked like a first grade team in attack when he came on. We didn't before that.

The problem is that Api is not a hooker - he's a half. He doesn't ace the passing game a modern delay hooker needs, and if he hasn't got it by now, he never will have it.

I can hack Api being part of the mix - even if he starts - his defence is much better than Hastings so that might actually be best - but Hastings must get much more game time.

Good point, and I actually agree with that MM. The hard thing I guess for Barrett though is be brought across Brown / Koroisou from Penrith, so they some what fall into the priority list for him I'm assuming.

We looked scary when JH came on. Our forwards were lethargic (totally fair enough), but his ball playing and ability to speed up the ruck meant that despite that, we were just rolling forward over potentially the biggest, most explosive team in the NRL (that's what I consider Raiders anyway). They are just monsters - monsters who were getting ridden over when JH came on.

I actually think most of us agree here. I just think Barrett is kind of bound to select Api and Lewis though.

Was thinking about this last night @Turbo1 . If you're Tim Cleary, you seek a 3-4 year extension NOW before his stock dramatically rises. That's how you get those bargain buys. See if his management team nibbles.

I can see him as the long term replacement for either Blake Green, Api Koroisou or Lewis Brown. Offer him $125k per season for 4 years or something?
If we don't re sign him plenty of teams will be after him. He has shades of Foz in my opinion. Perfect partner for chez.

Why not start Hastings and bring API on when the other forwards are tired?

I'm not opposed to that.. Only thing is Api is the better defender so Hastings might get exposed more starting against a fresh pack of forwards running at him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8