1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All quiet on the Media front

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Mybludog, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Mybludog

Mybludog Active Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0
    Just thinking how funny it is the way the Media work.

Very rarely do they report the GOOD side of things.

No sensational headlines to report so they just drop things like a bag of spuds

If there's nothing bad to report, then they report nothing

2. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    Mate, very true.
    When was the last time you read about all of the 250 flights a day landing safely at Kingsford Smith?

3. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Yeah how about how quiet it's gotten on radio,tv & the print media on the Brett Stewart court case

4. Lennox Local

Lennox Local Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
  5. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,764 / 72
    Good piece in the Manly Daily today though whihc effectively pours scorn on the police officer who didnt take any note of the alleged assault

6. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    I basically said the same thing in a thread yesterday (but only about the 2 major newspaper companies). After hearing all of the evidence so far, they are probably starting to think that it is a load of crock as well.

7. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    From memory the Telegraph made some pretty broad assertions.

It would be nice to think that they are a little worried about some of the dribble they reported as fact!

8. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,839 / 103
    The media need information that is either 'black or white' - it's not news if it is 'grey' (ordinary) which is what the last few days of the trial seem to have been. (that's why attending a Des Hassler press conference rarely produces a newsworthy story).
    So, the media will cover the Crown's allegations, which is where they get the prosecution's side of things. This is the salacious 'news'. The media may then cover some of the defence claims, but denying something is never as newsworthy as asserting it. And when experts are involved the poor old journo often can't understand the significance of what's being said (I know, I was a court hack in my early days). The media will then drop off until the two sides wrap up, and then they will report on the outcome.
    Almost always, a guilty verdict will receive more coverage than an innocent one. That's how the phrase 'trial by media' came about.
    TV is much worse than newspapers because they always sensationalise things, and their reporters don't have a clue about correct court reporting. They'll show the poor defendant walking into court and outlining the allegations, then they may not even report on the outcome if it is 'not guilty'. I've seen this many times.

9. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +828 / 10
    The above story has disappeared off the web, but you can still read it here:
    http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=6913078&postcount=2063

10. cc eagle

cc eagle Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 2
    This is why we have a big thank you to DSM5 for keeping us all updated with the court proceedings everyday,if we relied on print & tv we'd get sweet FA. until the verdict.

11. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,764 / 72
    Wish he would hurry up with todays report, I see he is on line, must be a slow typist or there is a lot to report on from this morning