1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A great win BUT!

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Mark from Brisbane, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,749 / 258
    A win is a win and a win at Brookie is always great and whilst there were some great parts of todays game I feel there is a BUT.

Let's face it, the Knights lost 4 players to serious injury today, we had them on the ropes but couldn't deliver the "killer punch".

In fact after half time I thought they were pretty pedestrian allowing the Knights to score before delivering the final blow with a very good try to Wolfie.

Now before you shoot me down I am saying this because today was an opportunity to absolutely slaughter a down and out opposition, but we didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy BUT I wonder if coach Hasler will be 100% happy with that performance??

By the way great games from young Hoppa and Oldfield, jeez they are both big units aren't they!

2. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
  3. swoop

swoop Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 16
    I heard Des interviewed and said that we had a scrappy 2nd half where we tried too hard to put them away and that we weren't patient enough.
    -------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy with the win as we have blooded a few young blokes who'll and will be better for it.

4. COMMANDER

COMMANDER IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL 2016 Tipping Competitor

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,740 / 81
    Second half was one of the worst to watch in recent memory. 

Even without the injuries we would have cleaned their clock today.

5. Captain of the Gate

Captain of the Gate Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    I was unimpressed with the halves kicking choices on the goal line in the 2nd half. Several times Wolfie and Hoppa signalled for kicks are were ignored. There were huge gaps when they signalled, that edge had been weak the whole game and there was an injured 2nd rower hiding out there. I don't understand why they persisted grubbers under the posts when there was a higher chance option on the right side.

Scrappy 2nd half was a good description.

6. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    Sure but without Lyon and Matai we did well taking down the table topping team. There is always room for improvement and last week would have taken alot out of them.

7. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
  8. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,799 / 122
    No Jamie Lyon, no Matai, no Rodney, no T-Rex. Halfback that has played only two (2) NRL games. The most inexperienced centre pairing in our club's history (that is just a guess, they might be the most inexperienced in ANY club's history for all I know).

Taking the above into account, it was a great win and there are no buts. Not pretty, not 50 points, but a great win nonetheless. Expect our team to build slowly this year. We don't need sporadic flashiness, we want consistency, discipline and toughness. If we avoid major injury catastrophes, we'll be  a lot better by year's end than we are now.

9. manlyforever08

manlyforever08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    we should've won by a lot more.. but at least we kept them out and didn't have a second-half fade..

10. Mark from Brisbane

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,749 / 258
    Yes mate and whilst other teams seem to be getting decimated with injury, so far so good...hope that lasts.

11. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Had the same thought during the game but then dismissed it as an early round abheration.

The thing that confused it simply being us taking our foot off the accelerator were all the errors.

12. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Sure we should have put 40 on them in the second half.  But with the players we had it was a fair effort.  I thought we were good to hold them to one try, especially in the first twenty when they seemed far more physical than us.  Our defense tightened, as it did at the Roosters game and we played tough.  I think DCE's little grubbers were not the best option but he'll learn.  Good win, 2 from 3 isn't bad and we certainly are blooding some talent.  Good for the future.  Gee I love the way Joe goes forward.    

13. Mark from Brisbane

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,749 / 258
    Joe is having a sensational year to date, makes you wonder how Shane Rodney will get a start when he eventually returns.

14. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    they just put the cue in the rack, did enough to win and coasted home, saved petrol for when it would be needed later on.

15. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    I'm happy with the win, but the 2nd half was crap. I suspect a full strength Newcastle would have mounted a comeback.

On the flip side, let's not forget that they were in the position we put them in. We were brutal and I cannot blame the guys for putting the cue in the rack.

Remember the sign of a good team is one that does only what they have to do is win.

For what it's worth today was all about what last year was not...... about speed. Every try involved either Snake, Wolf or Hoppa or a mixture of all three. We are sweet in the backs with plenty of depth. All would be good if we could pick up a top line prop.

16. Spuds Bodyguard

Spuds Bodyguard Active Member

Taree, New South Wales
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    I wonder if we took the pedal off the accelerator in preparation for next week. Its a short turn around for FNF.

17. Frogz

Frogz Don't mess with the goat, he has photos. Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 36
    Fark me , what do you want....we dont have lyon nor mattai....we arent favourites and we have beaten last years runners up and an undefeated team, albeit round 3..........this was a gutsy win, we got in their face...and foran is a standout....

18. NYEagle

NYEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,154 / 69
    I honestly think they coasted to save energy for Friday night.

I don't care about the second half. Better a coasty win than a spirited loss.

19. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    does anybody actually read anyone elses posts, or just spout the same **** ad naeuseum?

20. Mark from Brisbane

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,749 / 258
    Frogz, great sides can be ruthless in this position, we weren't...yeah perhaps they were saving themselves for FNF.