3 Manly Legends - your favourite memories....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
We have 3 absolute Manly legends who have been under fire in 2016...1 announcing his final year - the other 2 are still champions & deserve the ultimate accolades for their service.
Rather than discuss the injuries & less impact they have in 2016, would like to see Silvertail members acknowledge all 3, by giving us your own personal favourite memories.......

Snake Stewart - Running off a BK 1 handed offload against the Sharks when he first burst onto the scene, exploding away & veering wide up the sideline, leaving the fast cover defence for dead....it was like "We have an amazing excitement machine at Manly"
Seen 100's since but that was my wakeup call of this champion....
Also his cover tackle on Inglis who the commentators were already calling TRY - cut him down perfectly & has done so many times - that 1 just stands out in the "legendary column.

Lyon - So many moments of absolute class its a tough job to pick less than 1000 amazing times for this bloke....
I was at Suncorp & witnessed a massive Manly comeback - Lyon bagged 3 tries from memory, but his energy & awesome plays aside of this was the feature - lifted the team against all odds to claim victory...
Another super play, again against Bronco's only 3 years ago - down & out with the last set to score from deep in our own territory & a shift left - Matai busts through Gillett & makes a huge run....with basically 1 play left, a sweep to the right gets Lyon in a 2 on 1 & as expected, Lyon gives Wolf a cruise to the line for victory.....the thing with this moment is what imo typifies, why Lyon is that ultimate class player...with the game on the line right there many would panick - the split second he took the ball he straightened at full pace turning the Brisbane wingers feet in, with his only mindset to get Wolf over in that corner...didn't second guess or move laterally with the ball, or go a hero play - got the job done as a team player - which sums up Lyon in my eyes to a tee.

Matai - THAT hit on Tyrell & the other 500 hits are obvious standouts.
Personally - its the way he plays in general that stands out for mine....commitment, energy, hard tough old school player, who does the hard plays that go unnoticed by many.
Matai's dummy half scoots to get Manly out of trouble in tough field position, willing to take a battering is a 1% play he does over & over again...usually winning the contact & setting the momentum for a good attacking set from what was a rugged field position....Right up with these other 2 legends imo...

Share me your moments Silvertails.....

3 legends, no doubt. So many memories, I'm going to stick to just 1 for each:

Snake: That try against the Tigers (about 2006) when he scored right at the end of the game by outjumping Benji and scoring. It was vintage Snake. Opportunism, Speed and Skill.

Skivvy: The courage is my overriding memory of Skivvy. I don't recall a game seeing him play where he wasn't clutching his neck or shoulder. Yet it never prevented him LAUNCHING himself at anything that moved. I used to get into very aggressive conversations with people who dared to call him soft (wtf??) when he used to grab himself after every tackle. Very few would have continued to play.

Killer: The 2013 PF against Souths. His leadership, calmness, everything was on show that night. At 14 nil down, we were absolutely gone. Apparently he bollocked the players and let them know it wasn't acceptable and that the game could still be won. He started getting stuck into the souths players, and scored a brilliant try as well. This game showed the NRL what we all knew, Killer is a great inspirational captain (as well as a great player).

Of course, the Beaver try in the 2008 GF. Beaver came straight off the bench to receive an inside pass from three-try hero Michael Robertson and cross for a magical moment in a record-breaking 40-0 win!

Kevin Ward's effort in the 1987 GF. Best player on the ground that day! He was released from his English club Castleford for the grand final after playing the early part of the season on loan to Manly. The gamble by coach Bob Fulton was huge but the champion player had emerged as a champion coach and the grand final win continued his amazing success at the SCG.

Steve Matai. Everything he has done. Ditto Geoff Toovey.

Matai - in my favorite Manly game ever against The Chooks at Brookie (call it the Chris Anderson retirement game), when he was on the run, and his hair came out, and Warren from Fox Sports yelled, "it's Attila The Hun" !!

Lyon - Having a yack to him at the Leagues Club. Such a cool man. Everything he does is class on the field. Way to many feats to mention.

Stewart - his Rock / Paper / Scissors with Heath LeStrange to determine who scored the try at Brooky.

Matai - in my favorite Manly game ever against The Chooks at Brookie (call it the Chris Anderson retirement game), when he was on the run, and his hair came out, and Warren from Fox Sports yelled, "it's Attila The Hun" !!

Close to my favourite all-time game. I went with my father in law (Chooks fan). And I'd put up with a few floggings in the early 2000s, which he had rubbed in. He was pretty confident that night.....the look on his face through the games was just unbelievable, and every try 'Eagle Rock!' came on. It was one of those games where he just couldn't say anything. You can't exactly say you were robbed (which he has many times) when beaten 56 nil.

He was so incensed he wrote to the Roosters to sack Anderson.

Let me take you back to the Rd 5 2009 Manly v Tigers match, Snake's return to footy after his 4 week Gallop edicted suspension. Made a statement that day with his hattrick, esp the first try where he simply blitzed the 'not slow' Tigers outside backs to score that thrilling try in the corner. Then a few mins later, scored from a high Orford bomb by timing his run in goal to utter perfection and out leaping the defenders. Rarely have I heard such loud cheering from the FB crowds.

Matt orford running through a gap to the left and puts in a banana kck towards the post, and a flying brett Stewart retrieves it unbelievably and scores under the sticks saluting the crowd.

Hang on - you're forgetting his (late, high, off-the-ball) hit on Ennis when he was at the Dogs! Knocked the obnoxious f***er out, from memory.

That was another good one, but I'd pay BD's one - Gasnier has the most coathanger-able head I've ever seen. Some are slappable, some are punchable, his is just screaming out to be knocked off his shoulders with a well-timed stiff arm! @:p

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6