20m restarts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

stlth15

With the new rule change, has anybody noticed after a 20m restart, Manly Seem to be one of the few teams that have no urgency, taking the ball back to the 20 for a quick tap? Surely Dessie would recognize this as i've seen other teams use it affectively, getting the opposition on the backfoot after the ball has gone dead in goal. Thoughts?

Good point.
There is not much creativity in most teams.
1. You roll through the first four tackles. Try your backs on the fifth tackle. Then put up a bomb on the last tackle and hope for the best.
2. On a scrum win you have a backrower playing 5/8 who smashes forward and takes the tackle.
3. On kick offs you hoist it deep.

All are safety first plays that make much of the game boring. At least Tigers do try some interesting attacking plays.

I'd like to see:
1. more chip kicks ala Phil Blake
2. Attacking options from scums ala Cliffy, including kicks for wingers as the opposing fullback is always in the line
3. A variety of kick restarts, including the short one to regain the ball, which only gets used when a team is desperate for possession at the end of a match.

These plays may not always succeed, but they add variety to what has become very predictable safety first football.

Posession and completed sets are what make it easier to win football matches. Why would you risk giving it away early? Sure it would get you excited but i'm sure Des would blow a gasket if we kicked from a scrum.

The Who said:
These plays may not always succeed, but they add variety to what has become very predictable safety first football.

We have St George to thank for the current style of play. I said 2 years ago that if St George were rewarded for their boring style then everyone would do it.

Watch for rule changes in a couple of years from now to try and encourage teams to play some attacking footy.

Fonz said:
Sure it would get you excited but i'm sure Des would blow a gasket if we kicked from a scrum.

Most exciting thing ive seen in years was watching Des blow a gasket in a Parramatta dressing room.

Fonz said:
Posession and completed sets are what make it easier to win football matches. Why would you risk giving it away early? Sure it would get you excited but i'm sure Des would blow a gasket if we kicked from a scrum.

A scrum offers the best chance to attack, with the forwards out of the play, giving the backs some room. The scrum is also one of the few times that the defending fullback and wingers are in the line. A kick over them to a fast winger/centre will lead to a try on one out of three attempts. At the worst it gains valuable metres, rather than risking a mistake crashing it up for five tackles.

Maybe you are too young to remember the attacks that used to be mounted from scrums. If you want safety-first football then perhaps we need a team of accountants.

The srum after DCE's 40/20.

DCE picks it up, then Foran, then Hoppa, then Oldfeild..............

Looked like a set play to me, shame Oldfeild knock on and that's why i think Des fell off his chair

Good pick-up. Pity Oldfield didn't.

That attacking move does seem a rarity, but I applaud it. I want more.

The Who said:
Fonz said:

A scrum offers the best chance to attack, with the forwards out of the play, giving the backs some room. The scrum is also one of the few times that the defending fullback and wingers are in the line. A kick over them to a fast winger/centre will lead to a try on one out of three attempts. At the worst it gains valuable metres, rather than risking a mistake crashing it up for five tackles.

Maybe you are too young to remember the attacks that used to be mounted from scrums. If you want safety-first football then perhaps we need a team of accountants.

Are you assuming the other team are stupid? After 1 or 2 attempts surely the other team would be on to you i think mate. I don't think you 'd get to 3. Which means you'd probably have to get it right the first time. A very low percentage play. Are you also wondering why you are also the only one in the world bright enough to come up with this genious plan? Cause 16 NRL coaches and those before them obviously haven't thought of that before.

I remember last year maybe we did a short kick off early, maybe even the very beginning. T Rex did it, we got the ball and the commentators were quite surprised and applauding the ingenuity.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4