2025 recruitment & retention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Someone explain to me, how a player like James, who makes Jake Trbojevic look like Usain Bolt, and who gets completely dominated in NSW Cup (who goes into the fetal position when a defender touches him) gets promoted to Manly's too 30, who recently released Josh Schuster, agreeing to pick up huge freight for the next three years - while the Panthers and Chooks basically can get David Fifita?

Do people see why I get frustrated with our recruitment and retention.

Has anyone else seen James play? Hopefully I'm exaggerating, or seeing things others don't here. Because James is possibly one of the worst forwards, I've ever seen.

Right up there with the Condon, Woods, Matterson type acquisitions. Roll over Mitchell Plonkington, here comes the Manly Sea Eagles.

I understand why Penrith could have afforded Fifita; it has lost 17 top players over the past four seasons to predatory clubs such as Canterbury, Wests, Doesn'tmatta and Easts. I don't begrudge Penrith for its recent success as it develops the majority of its players, only to have them lured away.
And we all know that Easts don't have a salary cap.
Manly is one of the 'also ran' clubs these days sadly. We can't attract the big names because we don't have the off-field financial clout to offer the necessary 'incentives'.

Someone explain to me, how a player like James, who makes Jake Trbojevic look like Usain Bolt, and who gets completely dominated in NSW Cup (who goes into the fetal position when a defender touches him) gets promoted to Manly's too 30, who recently released Josh Schuster, agreeing to pick up huge freight for the next three years - while the Panthers and Chooks basically can get David Fifita?

Has anyone else seen James play? Hopefully I'm exaggerating, or seeing things others don't here. Because James is possibly one of the worst forwards, I've ever seen.

Right up there with the Condon, Woods, Matterson type acquisitions. Roll over Mitchell Plonkington, here comes the Manly Sea Eagles.
Yep, I had high hopes for James, but it looks like another one on the branch not bearing any fruit.

My understanding is that Talagi wants to play fullback. If that is the case we are zero chance. Crichton will want big $'s. We already have a marquee second rower in Ola on big $'s so I can't see that happening either. Unrealistic targets for mine.
Turbo may have to consider a forced move to the centres soon - he's not getting any younger. He's brained it in that position for NSW. If that happens then a Taulagi type player would be ideal.

Turbo may have to consider a forced move to the centres soon - he's not getting any younger. He's brained it in that position for NSW. If that happens then a Taulagi type player would be ideal.
If we shift Tom to the centers how long do you think he'll last. He'll be made to make one on one effort tackles, at FB you could go half a dozen sets before you're forced to make a tackle. But then again this hasn't been the case in recent matches.

If we shift Tom to the centers how long do you think he'll last. He'll be made to make one on one effort tackles, at FB you could go half a dozen sets before you're forced to make a tackle. But then again this hasn't been the case in recent matches.
I don't think the tackling is the issue for him. It's the high speed bursts which seem to bring him undone - as per last week where he really needed to stretch out. If he can avoid needing to go to absolute top speed as much as possible then maybe he'll have more longevity. Either way, it's not working for him at FB so we'll need to look for another option there eventually (sooner rather than later I'd argue) and I like the look of the parra kid. He looks robust! A lot more robust than Turbo was as his age.

I agree Ryan, our recruitment is just ridiculous. Me and my mate talk about this every week. I know we have all experienced tough times with our club but where we are at the moment really scares me

I don't think the tackling is the issue for him. It's the high speed bursts which seem to bring him undone - as per last week where he really needed to stretch out. If he can avoid needing to go to absolute top speed as much as possible then maybe he'll have more longevity. Either way, it's not working for him at FB so we'll need to look for another option there eventually (sooner rather than later I'd argue) and I like the look of the parra kid. He looks robust! A lot more robust than Turbo was as his age.
We'll agree to disagree on this one Chunky.

100% agree on us going after Crichton and if this article is anything to go by, he's pretty keen to keep playing left second row where he would be a significant upgrade over Waddell/Burbo...

+1 to Talagi as well. We're historically pretty good at picking off Parramatta juniors and this guy also fits the mould of what we currently need
Why would Talagi, who Parramatta view as Gutherson’s successor at fullback, want to join Manly?

Manly has been good at ‘picking off Parramatta juniors’ unwanted by Parramatta. Not necessarily the ones Parramatta want to keep.

Why would Talagi, who Parramatta view as Gutherson’s successor at fullback, want to join Manly?

Manly has been good at ‘picking off Parramatta juniors’ unwanted by Parramatta. Not necessarily the ones Parramatta want to keep.
Well he just turned down Parras offer for an extension to test the open market in November so if the money was right, why not? With Lomax signing I doubt they will be able to compete with other clubs

Very true, our signings are uninspiring and you live in hope that "maybe" they will show more than expected for Manly, so lets give them a chance.....then comes the game and you have eyes on the player in hope....but it unfolds just as you remembered seeing them at the previous club quickly realising WHY the other club waved googbye so easily....and the sad part, deep down you and I knew the outcome before sitting down to watch it painfully unfold.
I remember the good old days when we signed players like BK and Jamie Lyon who hit the ground running making an instant impact and they were not only quality footballers, but naturally competitive which lifted the entire team, seems like an eternity ago Ryan, but I live in hope we will 1 day get it right again, but will need to not be so 'top heavy" in a few players who hardly play and others who are simply over paid.

I've always been vehemently against moving Turbo out of fullback but if Koula kills it these next 7 weeks and with Turbos continued hammy problems I'd now concede it is worth a long hard look.

We'll have to see how Koula goes first though. Fingers crossed

Cleary has done his Hammy again and is out long term
The only logical thing Penrith can do is to move Cleary out in the centres when he is fit to play
WTF ???........ Yeh I know LOL
1715654102588.png

Last edited:
Cleary has done his Hammy again and is out long term
The only logical thing Penrith can do is to move Cleary out in the centres when he is fit to play
WTF ???........ Yeh I know LOL
View attachment 27018
I don't get ppl rating cleary doing a hammy anything like Tom doing it 6 seasons in a row....and while Tom has (unfortunately) been sitting in the crowd, Cleary has guided his side to 3 straight Premiership victories.....in fact I'll be suprised once Cleary comes back, that the hammy will ever be a problem for him again, just likely he will lead Penrith for another lap of honour in 2024.

Toms move from fullback is not hamstring related from my perspective. The problem is that he has been offering little as our last line of defence and that is related to a confidence issue that results from a succession of long term injuries. Moving him to where he has less ground to cover and where he is not the last line of defence makes sense.

I don't get ppl rating cleary doing a hammy anything like Tom doing it 6 seasons in a row....and while Tom has (unfortunately) been sitting in the crowd, Cleary has guided his side to 3 straight Premiership victories.....in fact I'll be suprised once Cleary comes back, that the hammy will ever be a problem for him again, just likely he will lead Penrith for another lap of honour in 2024.
I understand with what you are saying my feathered friend and you make some very valid points and power to your perspective views !
This is my perspective...
The Common denominator in both Cleary and Turbo is that they are both Elite players in their own trademark positions they play
Injuries are part of the game and no one is guaranteed of an injury free season
Life is gamble and we all invest in the choices we make and I put my money in Turbo as the Best Fullback Impact player for our Manly team and his Manly Team stats back this up .
Turbo may have had some Turbulent injury times but he is still the most proven Terrific Manly Number one we currently have .
Other players that will now fill Turbos number one position have the opportunity to prove me wrong .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11