2025 recruitment & retention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Taking into account Lawton moving on and Humphreys who supposedly had passed Gordie but now been passed back by Gordie with both being not overly impressive(Gordie is going ok ..)
If I had a wish list for young dummy halves elsewhere,I would look at Tyler Moriarty from Roosters or Oskar Bryant from Titans,both ready next year( and off contract).
I think that the club is fairly high on Lenaz in the Flegg side and O'Donnell however.
Joe what are your thoughts on Lenaz and O'Donnell as hooker options? Lenaz seems more of a middle forward who can fill in at hooker and O'Donnell seems more like a genuine crafty hooker.

Joe what are your thoughts on Lenaz and O'Donnell as hooker options? Lenaz seems more of a middle forward who can fill in at hooker and O'Donnell seems more like a genuine crafty hooker.
Yeah,pretty spot on..
Lenaz is a good defender and worker,he can and does play as a lighter lock forward when O'Donnell comes on and not as skillfull in attack as O'Donnell,they work well as a one two punch for the Flegg side.

I'm going to say something very unpopular here, but for as long as I can remember, we've managed a very injury prone roster.

I think we should be very careful in who we release, sign and/or re-sign.

I think it's time to cull the habitually injured players and get some toughness in our team. I know people are excited because we've won half our games, but don't throw away desperate contracts.

If Brown continues to be injured, let him go. Schuster was always injured, he's gone. Lawton always injured or suspended, he's gone..We have to continue that. Players like Aloiai always in and out of the team through injury / suspension. Calling it here, of Brown or Lodge are injured again, let them go. Saab is starting to be injury prone now. Sipley is always in and out (form, injury, suspension). Ben Trbojevic is always injured.

We are brittle.

We've won half our games, 6 games in, and people are flying off the handle like we are world beaters for goodness sakes.

We've got an absolute reserve grader in the 17 this week in Matterson. I've always said if players like Condon / Matterson are.playing first grade (players who struggle in NSW Cup, in an awful team), we are in a world of hurt, and scraping the bottom of the barrel.

We need to level up. We've been a .400 - .500 team now for way too long. It's not only accepted now, it's celebrated.
I know it's the same in other sports My Manchester United soccer team have held onto and kept re-signing guys who are really good, but constantly injured in the hope they will come good. They never do. It's why Penrith do so well, lack of injuries to key players.

I know it's the same in other sports My Manchester United soccer team have held onto and kept re-signing guys who are really good, but constantly injured in the hope they will come good. They never do. It's why Penrith do so well, lack of injuries to key players.
And why my Chelsea are so BAD. James, Lavia, Fofona, Colwill, Chilwell, Chuckwumeka, Nkunku. Just ALWAYS injured.

The most successful clubs in recent years are Penrith and....

Penrith captured lightning in a bottle, generational talent and the biggest catchment area in the country, with the finances and systems to create a production line the likes of which have never been seen. The Broncos are probably the only other club that have a chance of replicating that system.

As much as I wish we could be a team full of local juniors I don't think it's plausible.

Storm, Roosters, Cowboys? Teams recruit young players for their juniors or before they've played more than a hand fall of first grade, often from elsewhere and develop them. As a result they know the clubs style, they tend to remain more loyal given the comradery they develop with other juniors. Good sides tend to retain, though not always given Salary Cap restrictions, the core of their best players from the juniors

And why my Chelsea are so BAD. James, Lavia, Fofona, Colwill, Chilwell, Chuckwumeka, Nkunku. Just ALWAYS injured.
As much as I love Reece he needs to go. Him and chilwell. Keep gusto and buy someone like alphonso davies

Storm, Roosters, Cowboys? Teams recruit young players for their juniors or before they've played more than a hand fall of first grade, often from elsewhere and develop them. As a result they know the clubs style, they tend to remain more loyal given the comradery they develop with other juniors. Good sides tend to retain, though not always given Salary Cap restrictions, the core of their best players from the juniors
Apologies I misconstrued your point. The juniors don't have to be local, you've just got to get them in your system early. That I do agree with.

The release of Schu barely 6 Rounds in suggests Seibold has a pretty clear idea of what the squad needs instead. Possibly has even identified an individual target.

A tough tackle-machine forward perhaps? Someone to take some load off Jake and Croker, and who can also offer a little bit of punch in attack. A Corey Waddell type but a class or two above him would be good. (Burbo is coming along nicely but probably another year or two away from top level, plus he has some injury clouds.)
(I think our backs and our attack in general is fine, it's the defence side that needs bolstering)

The release of Schu barely 6 Rounds in suggests Seibold has a pretty clear idea of what the squad needs instead. Possibly has even identified an individual target.

A tough tackle-machine forward perhaps? Someone to take some load off Jake and Croker, and who can also offer a little bit of punch in attack. A Corey Waddell type but a class or two above him would be good. (Burbo is coming along nicely but probably another year or two away from top level, plus he has some injury clouds.)
(I think our backs and our attack in general is fine, it's the defence side that needs bolstering)
Well in fact the Schu payout means we can get an edge forward of the same calibre as Lawton. $400k/yr vs $600k/yr in quality

I'm going to say something very unpopular here, but for as long as I can remember, we've managed a very injury prone roster.

I think we should be very careful in who we release, sign and/or re-sign.

I think it's time to cull the habitually injured players and get some toughness in our team. I know people are excited because we've won half our games, but don't throw away desperate contracts.

If Brown continues to be injured, let him go. Schuster was always injured, he's gone. Lawton always injured or suspended, he's gone..We have to continue that. Players like Aloiai always in and out of the team through injury / suspension. Calling it here, of Brown or Lodge are injured again, let them go. Saab is starting to be injury prone now. Sipley is always in and out (form, injury, suspension). Ben Trbojevic is always injured.

We are brittle.

We've won half our games, 6 games in, and people are flying off the handle like we are world beaters for goodness sakes.

We've got an absolute reserve grader in the 17 this week in Matterson. I've always said if players like Condon / Matterson are.playing first grade (players who struggle in NSW Cup, in an awful team), we are in a world of hurt, and scraping the bottom of the barrel.

We need to level up. We've been a .400 - .500 team now for way too long. It's not only accepted now, it's celebrated.
I don't always agree with a lot of what you say Ryan but I like what you write and it's always good to read an alternative view point.

Issue will be upgrades to Lodge and probably Brown. Smart move not signing Lodge yet as if he does something again, he won't come back anywhere near what he may be now. Tommy T issue. Get rid of Josh A and that will free up dough, like Christian T to dragons (good move)

Well in fact the Schu payout means we can get an edge forward of the same calibre as Lawton. $400k/yr vs $600k/yr in quality
Off the bat I doubt Lawton is on anywhere near 400k but thats not my point.

My point is, it is as simple to say a 400k calibre player v a 600k player as players get signed all the time on over or under their value.

400k spent well can be as effective or moreso then 600k.

Granted though we are likely looking more at a young player with upside (Mooney) or a player on the outs in their current setup.

Off the bat I doubt Lawton is on anywhere near 400k but thats not my point.

My point is, it is as simple to say a 400k calibre player v a 600k player as players get signed all the time on over or under their value.

400k spent well can be as effective or moreso then 600k.

Granted though we are likely looking more at a young player with upside (Mooney) or a player on the outs in their current setup.
Yes true, talking ball park just to get a sense of the calibre of our new recruit.

We also need to consider that if we sign a player mid season we would only have to pay half their yearly worth. Say a player on $800k per year we would only pay them $400k for the remainder of the season.

Ryan Matterson could be an option, he was rumoured to be a player swap for Lomax this season, Dragoons knocked the swap move on the head..

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8