2020 Manly Squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
The thing is, pretty much the same 17 beat Canberra & competed with the Knights so I don't think its necessarily physical attributes or abilities that we need to bring in by replacing certain players.

Our boys have lost all of their confidence, from top to bottom, DCE being a prime example. It's like they're all really uptight about our injury toll & cant just settle into the basics of completing sets to build on & each player is trying to do it all themselves.

I dont know what (if any) sports psychology is part of their training program but I think they all need a bit of it to get their heads in the right place so they can calm down a bit & get back to playing footy again.

Perhaps COVID isolation has created a level of anxiety within each of them that has worsened their normal response to being struck down with injuries & suspensions.

The thing is, pretty much the same 17 beat Canberra & competed with the Knights so I don't think its necessarily physical attributes or abilities that we need to bring in by replacing certain players.

Our boys have lost all of their confidence, from top to bottom, DCE being a prime example. It's like they're all really uptight about our injury toll & cant just settle into the basics of completing sets to build on & each player is trying to do it all themselves.

I dont know what (if any) sports psychology is part of their training program but I think they all need a bit of it to get their heads in the right place so they can calm down a bit & get back to playing footy again.

Perhaps COVID isolation has created a level of anxiety within each of them that has worsened their normal response to being struck down with injuries & suspensions.

It is a similar 17 that beat Canberra. But I dont recall us scoring a point after Tom went down. Our defence shows signs of being solid, but we just cant score points. After struggling to score the boys heads go down and the flood gates appear to open.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that doing the same thing again and again is insanity.

The biggest issue with blooding these kids this year is they've played no football. In a normal year you'd play them in NSW Cup so they can acclimatize to playing bigger, stronger and more experienced opponents. There's the odd kid who can come into NRL and be good to go but I believe 90% need a season in NSW Cup. Thing is we'll get to next year and they still haven't had that experience.

So, as a left field suggestion, do we look at loaning / swapping them to the UK for the rest of the year? Gets them experience at a higher level of football and if we could snag decent hooker in the swap for the remainder of this season, even better.

I realise it won't happen but just thinking outside the square a little.
That sounds logical except for one thing

Why are all these kids at other clubs going so well. They don’t play either if not in first grade

Coates, Field, Saines, Best, Creighton, Kerr , Hoy ... and plenty more.

I said in another thread that it’s a new game. These kids are bigger, stronger , more confident and won’t get an elbow to the head in back play like the old days.
We need to get with the program.

Last edited:
It is a similar 17 that beat Canberra. But I dont recall us scoring a point after Tom went down. Our defence shows signs of being solid, but we just cant score points. After struggling to score the boys heads go down and the flood gates appear to open.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that doing the same thing again and again is insanity.

I agree but I dont think wholesale changes by bringing in a bunch of our young talent while the general team mentality is where it is, is the answer.

It could (& most likely would) result in our young blokes ending up just as discouraged as our "top" 17.

Maybe Des needs to bring them in one at a time instead of all at once, like he's done with Funa.

Last edited:

Why are all these kids at other clubs going so well. They don’t play either.
Coates, Field, Saines, Best, Creighton, Grant , Brown, Kerr .... and plenty more.

I said in another thread that the it’s a new game. These kids are bigger, stronger , more confident and won’t get an elbow to the head in back play like the old days.
I also think that the new rules have made it more critical to have the X-Factor players and younger legs in attack. Sweeping changes may not be the idea, but giving a couple of these guys a run at the very least couldn't hurt. I mean, the status quo couldn't beat the Dragons.... youth couldn't do too much worst hahaha!

We are already probably pay Jake too much for the role he fills ( don’t get me wrong I love the guy as a player but he plays the style of Tolman now for some reason ).
The one connection between Tolman and Jake is Des. My guess is Jake is doing what he's told and playing to the game plan.

Tommy will never been removed from number 1, thats where he shines, on both sides of the field, and up the middle and his last line of defence.

2021 need to decide who is going to replace tommo and need get more dangerous wingers/outside backs. Most of the top teams - Parra, Roosters, Penrith - even the dragons wingers, warriors etc have big strong wingers. The broncos young kid as well.

We are seriously missing some go forward with our middle forwards and back rowers - all up to Marty and AFB. Would love a Tyson Frizell or matterson type back rower and faster, bigger backs and we would be o.k. I think Cust would be fine around a spine of Faniu, DCE and Tom.

I would love Hoppa in the side as he is raw talent and can also be back up for full back.

For me long term hopefully Funa can kick on as he is a little timid at the moment but when he gets moving is a natural runner and can finish, Cust to 5/8, walker to centre with Suli, Hoppa on the other wing. Not sure about second row? Want to see big quac off the bench soon, bring Schuster onto the bench and Sipley has more go than our current bench if he can get back early 2019 form. Paeska at least is showing improvement and for mine would be worth persisting with, has size, a fend and some footwork - just needs to gets some mongrel. Ben Turbo will be a star too. He is a footy player with big ticker. Plus there is young Faniu to come through - an outstanding prop.

the rest I would move on. Jorge, Jetski, Crocker, Elliot, Boyle
As much I love parkers effort he reminds me of a paul Stephenson type.. was solid ande we were theteabouts but we were never a real force til he was replaced. I have the same feeling with parker. We need more x factor in that spot

Ben is what 18 years old now? So I would agree he is a kid and likely wont be in the picture until next year. But to say he is not even remotely in the picture I feel might be a bit off. No unheard of for players to get a start off the bench at 18 / 19 years old. But yes, I accept your point, hoping he gets a run is very much wishful thinking. However; from what I have read about him and seen from him in SG Ball, he is every bit as promising as his brothers were at the same stage.

As for the others, I cannot understand why Schuster hasn't got a run yet. Hoppa has his knees which I understand they may be still being careful with though. Really perplexes me when we know what Croker has to off and Cust appears like a solid future 9
Even jakey has come out on record and said he is progressing well but is still off the pace and a few years away yet.. coming from his brother of all people, one u think may talk him up a little.. I think it's most definitely an accurate evaluation of wjere he is at.. n that's not NRL just yet

Why are all these kids at other clubs going so well. They don’t play either if not in first grade

Coates, Field, Saines, Best, Creighton, Kerr , Hoy ... and plenty more.

I said in another thread that it’s a new game. These kids are bigger, stronger , more confident and won’t get an elbow to the head in back play like the old days.
A lot of those players have that experience though. I do think it's an easier transition for outside backs (wingers mainly).

Coates - only 3 games in Intrust super cup plus senior football for Currumbin Eagles (playing wing)
Field - 53 Canterbury Cup games
Staines - only 8 CC games (playing wing)
Best - one out of the box who has transitioned well
Crichton - only 7 CC games, going well
Kerr - 62 CC games
Hoy - 19 CC games

So any of these players playing as inside backs or forwards have at least a season of seniors experience. Given we're talking about Schuster playing 5/8 and Turbo 3.0 playing back row I think senior experience would be beneficial prior to debuting. May not be possible under current circumstances though. Young Hoppa may be one who could get a start and do well on the wing but is coming off an injury.

Why would you play a star fullback on the wing when our current replacement full backs are pedestrian in attack? I just can't see the need to molly coddle players of this caliber.

In Des we trust! He knows 1,000% more about footy than all of the Silvertails combined wisdom..... These 4 losses are a deliberate ploy to fly super, super under the radar. Eels will now be lured into a false sense of confidence and we'll smash them.....

A lot of those players have that experience though. I do think it's an easier transition for outside backs (wingers mainly).

Coates - only 3 games in Intrust super cup plus senior football for Currumbin Eagles (playing wing)
Field - 53 Canterbury Cup games
Staines - only 8 CC games (playing wing)
Best - one out of the box who has transitioned well
Crichton - only 7 CC games, going well
Kerr - 62 CC games
Hoy - 19 CC games

So any of these players playing as inside backs or forwards have at least a season of seniors experience. Given we're talking about Schuster playing 5/8 and Turbo 3.0 playing back row I think senior experience would be beneficial prior to debuting. May not be possible under current circumstances though. Young Hoppa may be one who could get a start and do well on the wing but is coming off an injury.
I’m thinking Shuster at 14 with plenty of minutes.Not 6.
And Turbot 3 is not in the picture. That would be lunacy.

In Des we trust! He knows 1,000% more about footy than all of the Silvertails combined wisdom..... These 4 losses are a deliberate ploy to fly super, super under the radar. Eels will now be lured into a false sense of confidence and we'll smash them.....
Good to have you back buddy.

I’m thinking Shuster at 14 with plenty of minutes.Not 6.
And Turbot 3 is not in the picture. That would be lunacy.

Certainly I would bring Schuster through on the bench at first. But not for long. The kid is the No 1 junior 5/8 prospect. Won best player in a couple of the recent years junior comps, not just for Manly. He captained some of those sides. He's big, fast, deceptive, defensively strong, has an excellent instinct and passing game from what I've seen, not that I've seen more than four or five of his games. If he produces what he produced in the juniors in first grade he'll potentially be our next International player. The kid looks to me streets ahead of any other player we have in the club for skills worthy of 5/8

Certainly I would bring Schuster through on the bench at first. But not for long. The kid is the No 1 junior 5/8 prospect. Won best player in a couple of the recent years junior comps, not just for Manly. He captained some of those sides. He's big, fast, deceptive, defensively strong, has an excellent instinct and passing game from what I've seen, not that I've seen more than four or five of his games. If he produces what he produced in the juniors in first grade he'll potentially be our next International player. The kid looks to me streets ahead of any other player we have in the club for skills worthy of 5/8
Saw him in the trial against Cronulla and looked a classy player and not out of place against first graders. Would love to see him run out next weekend.

I 100% agree that Tom wont be moved and it is his best position. However; with the km he racks up there he seems to be always injured because of his (soft tissue etc). As the saying goes "the best ability is availability." Tom seems to just never be available anymore.

Total left field, but what about Tom in the 6? Thoughts?
I like the left centre option until he has a few yards under him.. Depending on how Hoppa is going in the one jumper.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12