2018 Fullback positional play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

anthonyb1965

GO Manly
After watching some highlights from other games this year, can someone explain why fullbacks are defending in the line instead of behind the line? Nearly everyone (including Turbo) is doing it with the exception of Slater. Seems crazy.

Can't help you there. Makes no sense to me. Especially these days with kicking being such a big part of the game.

After watching some highlights from other games this year, can someone explain why fullbacks are defending in the line instead of behind the line? Nearly everyone (including Turbo) is doing it with the exception of Slater. Seems crazy.

Short answer is ..I don't know for sure. I think it may be the result of a brain fart by technical coaches that have concluded that most tries are scored out wide as a result of overlaps ... having the fullback in the line extends the width of your defence.

However, it would appear that like most brain farts the notion failed to take into account Newtown's 4th law of unintended consequences ....

I did hear a commentator say: "That's where all the fullbacks defend these days."

I did not find it very helpful, as I am sure you wont either!

brain farts cause mistakes
whale farts cause tidal waves

Put Wolfmans constant streaming infield and leaving his winger unopposed in the same basket too.

Fullbacks do that because the nrl is full of blinkered robots who can't perceive or anticipate any sort of play that may happen outside their 'corridor'. I hope this isn't taken as racially biased, it's not there are dumb footy players and smart footy players of every race and creed but the modern game has rewarded power over football nous and a little thing called heart (where you keep putting in even if you are stuffed and your gps tracker and therefore your sense of self as bestowed by your manager says you need a break) which would have seen players cover those gaps. Buy a Brute and simplify his game to a five to seven metre corridor - win games.

Modern coaching and the demise of our game. Bring on six interchanges.

Call me old fashioned but the only time a fullback should be in the line is when his team actually has the ball and he's running onto a pass and through a gap.

The only time they should be in the defensive line is when they have made a last line tackle.

When it comes to defence I'm a believer in the fullback being behind the line directing traffic and covering kicks.

Why doesn't Slater defend in the line? Because we may like like them but Billy and Bellamy are actually smarter than that.

Why doesn't Slater defend in the line? Because we may like like them but Billy and Bellamy are actually smarter than that.

But Slater does defend in the line. I suppose the reasoning behind why all the fullbacks do is because an extra body in the line is preferable to one out the back when the kickers can kick to wherever he isn't and easily take them out of play anyway. It does look bad at times though

There is no point trying to make a tackle in the in goal.

The extra man is in the line for the first 3 or 4 tackles, but rarely on the 5th.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8