1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Season Preview

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by manlyforever08, Feb 13, 2012.

1. manlyforever08

manlyforever08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    My own preview of the 2012 season as posted on LeagueUnlimited.com / hope it's ok I post this!

The Manly Sea Eagles will be looking to be the first team to go back-to-back in premierships since Brisbane in 92/93 - but it will be a struggle. Although the core of the 2011 Grand Final-winning team remains, the biggest loss of them all is coach Des Hasler, who was sacked by the club in late-2011 and has moved on to the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Manly will remained unchanged mostly for 2012 with the only losses in the player roster being Michael Robertson, Will Hopoate and Shane Rodney.

The first 5 weeks of the season will be the most testing. The team travels to England mid-Feburary for the World Club Challenge against Leeds Rhinos in the pre-season, then head back home to Australia before jumping across the ditch for a Round 1 Grand Final Replay against the Warriors at Eden Park. Round 2 sees a home game moved to Gosford against Wests Tigers, followed by trips to Cronulla, Kogarah and Parramatta before finally returning to the "fortress" of Brookvale Oval in Round 6.

Why They Can Win It
    Finals series experience; especially for the young players. The exciting young halves will continue to develop and if the Manly spine of Stewart, Foran, DCE & Ballin remains strong, confident and injury-free, Manly can do it again.

Why They May Struggle
    The dreaded second-year syndrome may strike Daly Cherry-Evans. And even though Geoff Toovey has been around the club for years, he may struggle in his first year as a first-grade coach.

Player to Watch
    Kieran Foran – Foran will only improve with age. His eye for the game and representative experience will help guide this team around the field once again.

Rookies to Watch
    Daniel Harrison & Darcy Lussick - Harrison cracked first grade early in the 2011 season. Expect to see this red head push for a bench spot in 2012.
    Lussick is known for his part in 2011's Brookie Brawl in Round 25. This hard-working prop will be looking to secure a bench spot for 2012.

Ins & Outs
    In: Ben Farrar (Catalan Dragons), Nick Skinner & Jorge Taufua.
    Out: Michael Robertson, Shane Rodney (both London Broncos), Will Hopoate (Eels 2014)

Best Line Up
    1 – Brett Stewart, 2 – David Williams, 3 – Jamie Lyon (c), 4 – Steve Matai, 5 – Michael Oldfield, 6 – Kieran Foran, 7 – Daly Cherry-Evans, 8 – Jason King (c), 9 – Matt Ballin, 10 – Brent Kite, 11 – Anthony Watmough, 12 – Tony Williams, 13 – Glenn Stewart
    Interchange: 14 – Darcy Lussick, 15 – Jamie Buhrer, 16 – George Rose, 17 – Vic Mauro

2. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,843 / 103
    Yes, the first five rounds will be tough, but better to cop them at the start of the season than the last five rounds.

3. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    Glad you posted it here. It's a good read and like a few others here I refuse to go over to LU

4. wizball1973

wizball1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 1
    Best line up without Joe?

5. manlyforever08

manlyforever08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I'm really torn tbh! I think it's between him and Mauro for that last bench spot.

6. King

King Active Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 3
    Some people have bad short term memories. Joe led the pack last year. I have him infront of everyone on that bench you named bar Buhrer.

7. dowdz

dowdz Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +853 / 5
    Spot on King. Joe was amazing last year.

8. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I'd have Joe ahead of King. I fear his best years are behind him. He missed a few tackles in the Cronulla trial and it will be interesting to see how he goes in England.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,855 / 192
    I agree Joe was awesome for us last year. It was Kings first hit out since his injury and hopefully his form can improve with match fitness.

10. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    Jason King has been a bit of a strange player for me the last few years. Some games he looks sensational, putting hits on and plenty of energy but other games he looks like he's got concrete boots on.