• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Hi All,

Last time i can remember us being this busted with a game to play was the 1991 semi against Canberra

From memory Cliffy Lyons kept us in the match (and the Canberra forward scored 3 or 4 tries??)

Shame is we do not have Cliffy this time

I remember Graham Lowe in tears in an interview aftere the game. The tears were because he was so proud of their effort. That could be the case this weekend, we may lose, but our effort will make us proud.

I don't expect too much as long as the boys put in, can't ask for much more than that

mark coyne scored four,the winner from a long range chargedown i think.i think we were missing oconnor and toovey and one other star.

kevin iro had a blinder as did the legend cliffy.oh for cliffy in the 2011 team.

I remember that game. NO ONE gave Manly a hope before kick off.

But it was yet another inspiring Manly effort that came to an abrupt end under Bill Harrigan.

We were getting on top when Kevin Iro (I think) was pinged for passing the ball after Harrigan called held on him all too quickly.

Then Jughead Jones was knocked out in a desperate tackle on our own line, but was pinged by Harrigan for not getting off the tackled player!!! He was unconcious!!!

Harrigan then let them take a quick tap while CLiffy was spewing to him about the penalty and Coyne (I think) just dived over for a try.

Was an early tackle in that game that Toovey was knocked out and couldn't play on.

The difference between 1991 and 2010 is there is no one comparable to Cliffy. Maybe Killer perhaps?

and they had 3 or 4 out.not 10.

someone did rip geoffs eyes out.ridge had a blinder and kicked a lot of goals.we had such luminaries as franky stokes and danny russell running around that day.oj was sensationa that day.

one of my favourite games.occonnor was definitely out,maybe tony iro as well(no loss).paul shaw wasnt on the bench so we struggled with tooves in trouble.

nasty exit though.the bears flogged us the week before which wasnt nice.

Win, lose or draw, this scenario certainly has the capacity to build character in our side (something which has been sorely lacking at times this season in my opinion).

Who knows - The young players who deliver us the premiership in 2011 might look back on this game and say that was what put the fire in the belly...

I think Des was out as well (knee injury like snoz)

I remember Brett White playing?

I tried to find the highlights and found this gem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQQnDg_mVM

chris white it was.gee he was ordinary.johnny grieve had a run off the bench too i think although that may have been the week before.you're right,des was out.he was the one i was missing.

If they put in and restrict the score to less than 20 margin I will be massively impressed with Manly

Whoops just say your correction....

As an aside we had a much better team even then

Pos Player
FB Matthew Ridge
WG Craig Hancock
CN Kevin Iro
CN Darrell Williams
WG Frank Stokes
FE Cliff Lyons
HB Geoff Toovey
PR Martin Bella
HK Danny Russell
PR David Hosking
SR John Jones
SR Matt Dunford
LK Owen Cunningham
BE Jon Grieve
BE David Ronson
BE Chris White

Chris White - whenever he came off the bench you knew that a knock-on / missed tackle etc was imminent. If the internet was around in 91, there'd be whole threads devoted to him. I could never understand why bozo/lowe kept bringing him on

Well done Isz. I've been thinking about that game this morning and was going to look up some info on it. I remember watching it in a packed Harbord Diggers auditorium. One of the clubs gutsiest efforts and we were still in it right up until that dodgy quick tap try near the end. OJ's best game for the club I reckon and Cliffy was the maestro. It was good old Ricky Stuart that ripped Toove's eye out very early on.

Final Score
Canberra 34 beat Manly 26

Teams (beat me to it Isz)

FB Gary Belcher  FB Matthew Ridge  
WG Paul Martin   WG Craig Hancock        
CN Mal Meninga   CN Kevin Iro  
CN Mark Bell        CN Darrell Williams        
WG Matthew Wood   WG Frank Stokes  
FE Laurie Daley         FE Cliff Lyons        
HB Ricky Stuart         HB Geoff Toovey        
PR Brent Todd         PR Martin Bella        
HK Steve Walters         HK Danny Russell        
PR Glenn Lazarus         PR David Hosking        
SR David Barnhill         SR John Jones        
SR Gary Coyne     SR Matt Dunford        
LK Bradley Clyde         LK Owen Cunningham  
BE Darren Fritz         BE Jon Grieve        
BE Darrell McDonald         BE David Ronson        
BE Jason Gregory         BE Chris White        
BE Brett Boyd            

We still had some handy players but look at the difference in the packs!

That was the proudest I've ever felt after a loss. Do the club and it's supporters proud on Sunday boys.

Shoe1 link said:
Chris White - whenever he came off the bench you knew that a knock-on / missed tackle etc was imminent. If the internet was around in 91, there'd be whole threads devoted to him. I could never understand why bozo/lowe kept bringing him on

The goat was only a kid then :)

I had an unhealthy man crush on Frank Stokes Tree trunk thighs (and the toe punt goal kicking...)

thats the riddle solved.bailey has the missing picture of des with the kid.talk about an ace up the sleeve.

lsz link said:
I think Des was out as well (knee injury like snoz)

I remember Brett White playing?

I tried to find the highlights and found this gem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQQnDg_mVM
Top find! Take that St Choke. Look out Stephanie Rice!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8