10 weeks ago.....potential spooners....should we be happy?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
Ok, today sucked. I was at the game, and to be honest this one (and last week) were my big worries for our run home. I felt (and still do) that we will beat the Roosters next week, but the Raiders/Eels games have had me worried.

But 10 weeks ago I (like many others) saw us looking down the barrel of our first Wooden Spoon, I was seriously wondering where the wins were going to come from. To have put ourselves in a situation where we could have made the semis showed a remarkable turnaround and I've loved the last couple of weeks. And let me say I am stoked we wont get the spoon.

Now I don't want to just paper over the cracks, but I'm still excited about the finish to the season we've had (and can still have), and where that puts us next year with the Turbos, Demetrious, Gutherson, and then Brown, Myles, Lussick, Api.

Last edited:
don't think we have ever been happy with a season that hasn't delivered a premiership. And that's why I love this club, fight till the death.

Im happy ,imagine how **** we would be feeling if we were in a race to the spoon & we lose to the spoon loving Parra.
Season's not dead yet....

With everything on the line today, we lost to Parra / Arthur / Watmough (even though he was out) at Brookie.

2-0 to Parra-Arthur this year and they knock us out of the semi-finals race.

We should've been spilling blood for one another, yet played like girls.

I'm pretty disappointed. And that p/ss-weak effort ain't Toovey's fault.

The team has been playing on anger and emotion for the last 6 weeks or so and yesterday it unravelled. I said earlier in the season when we were 1-6 that we would be likely to achieve between 8 and 10 wins. They have achieved that benchmark at least and if we are brutally honest the demise of our season was sown in April and May when we hardly won a game and we had a crippling injury toll. We paid the price for infighting and dysfunction and the Penn clan have moved in a different direction now. What MUST happen now is that 2016 we start wit a clean slate with everyone one on the same page because I think it is clear that was not the case at the start of this season.

I think a little of the form against Parra is what happens when you play a team coached by someone who was yor assistant. No one can game plan better for you than a former employee because they know it all (I'd expect the same with Barrett against Penrith next year).

That said, 0-2 against a **** coach like Brad Arthur is not a good look for Tooves.

Back to the topic of this thread - No. We shouldn't have been potential spoon winners at any point. That is totally unacceptable. If we never hit the bottom of the table and won a couple of the games in which we put in absolutely pathetic performances, we'd be in the 8 right now and not worried about +/- and who will beat who etc.

So again, no.

Last edited:
A few of Arthurs diciples in our team were probably hypnotised to play shi t to help The messiah out.

I think Foran and Hasson were good yesterday lol.

Having said that i was fuming yesterday only because it was painful to see the team's season ended by the eels. But now given the run home and where we were 10 weeks ago...if someone said Manly would beat the Warriors in NZ, Brisbane and Souths and avoid the spoon i would have taken that any day of the week. Anything else would have been a bonus so i am happy. I would hate for Tooves to be stuck with the label of 1st coach to win the spoon at Manly. Go Manly!!

Not happy at all. Was only going to be happy making the 8 and knocking a few off (playing to our potential)

Very disappointing season - although not over yet, maybe we get some luck over the next 2 weeks?

Credit where credits due, the Dalai may be a **** coach but he has a 3/4 record against us now, so whilst he's complete crap against everyone else he knows Manly like the back of his hand.

I'm hoping that's one benefit TB will bring to the table in 2016, wins against these swarmy pricks.

Agree with Phil Sheridan. I never want to see a sacked 1st grade coach, who still has aspirations to coach at that level, employed as a Manly assistant coach again. Easier said than done, however Parramatta have now beaten Manly on 3 of the 4 occasions we have played them since Arthur left. And that one (Manly) win wasn't that convincing.

Huge strategic f-ck up.

The fact is injuries stuffed our first half with half the side or more on the sidelines most game.

Since we got most of the team back on the part we have won 8 from 10 which is as good as anyone knocking off top 8 teams left, right and center.

So not happy with the injuries but happy with the results when we had 80% of our players available, not once fielding our top 17 this year.

I think a little of the form against Parra is what happens when you play a team coached by someone who was yor assistant. No one can game plan better for you than a former employee because they know it all (I'd expect the same with Barrett against Penrith next year).

That said, 0-2 against a **** coach like Brad Arthur is not a good look for Tooves.

Back to the topic of this thread - No. We shouldn't have been potential spoon winners at any point. That is totally unacceptable. If we never hit the bottom of the table and won a couple of the games in which we put in absolutely pathetic performances, we'd be in the 8 right now and not worried about +/- and who will beat who etc.

So again, no.
Spot on

Arthur knows our plays and shut down snake most times he came into the back line. In fact Parra seems to know our play book better than theirs. Maybe they don't have one

A good coach would have known this and changed out game plan and attacking structure.

Spot on

Arthur knows our plays and shut down snake most times he came into the back line. In fact Parra seems to know our play book better than theirs. Maybe they don't have one

A good coach would have known this and changed out game plan and attacking structure.
Positive of next year - fresh plan. Could you imagine playing Parra next year if Tooves was coach and they had Foz? They'd probably know every play we'd run down to the minute...

I still feel totally deflated. I just can't comprehend how meekly we played when we'd been so strong against the Worries, Broncos and Souffs.
Doesn'tmatta was missing half of their starting line-up, and we were near full strength. To lose to such a poor team, at home, has done my head in.

Funny thing is, after yesterday's performance we will probably beat the roosters.? We seem to lift for the sides that are on top of the table but perform poorly against lesser quality sides on paper.This is what confuses me a great deal. Has anyone noticed this over the past 2 months.?

The math sais we can still make it , beat rorters by around 12 and hope the Tit's win by 12 . OK it's a mountain but we are still in this unbelievably ,on the downside I'm reasonably happy to get as far as we did with all things considering. I'd hate to watch us play the last couple of games with nothing to play for and let's face it it's been a bloody long time since we have had to go through this .worse case scenario put me out of my misery and bring on 16 quick.

I still feel totally deflated. I just can't comprehend how meekly we played when we'd been so strong against the Worries, Broncos and Souffs.
Doesn'tmatta was missing half of their starting line-up, and we were near full strength. To lose to such a poor team, at home, has done my head in.
To be honest it's a continuation of last weeks shoddy effort.

Can take Manly losing but not happy going out they way we did yesterday without a fight They were soft and played poorly.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4