1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 + 1

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    gee
    times have changed big time @ Manly
    whenever a player was on the market Manly was always mentioned as a club interested, I know it has been said that we have no money left in our cap, by my guess I reckon we have let 1 million in players go & resigned a few others with upgrades  but it still don't add up to me with the salary cap getting an increase, the third party increase & we still have no cash to spare ?

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    Hodkinson - $70k
    Perry - $180k (tops)
    Farrar - $100k
    Tasi - Not counted
    Bailey - $150k (tops)

That's around $500k I reckon mate.

Then consider:-

Lyon (upgrade)
    Stewart (upgrade)
    Watmough (upgrade)
    Oldfield signed (50k)
    Cherry-Evans (signed) maybe $100k
    Robinson (signed) $50k
    Harrison (signed) $50k

Probably a lot closer than you think.

I think back ended contracts may have something to do with this.

3. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    didnt Manly also gain room to move in the cap when orford and manly didnt come to terms in january for 2010. While i understand he wasnt going to get the contract he was on, surely they put a few hundred thousand away for that deal. When he didnt sign those upgrades were prompt which gave the impression to me they had used some of the money earmarked for orford

Dont quote me but most of the upgrades were done prior to the raising of the cap limit and dispensations

got to add mattai and foran to the upgrades as well . But ryan is right, no one knows about front loading and backloading contracts

This front loading and backloading. I know sports stars get treated differently by the tax office as they earn a lot in a short space of time so they get concessions like farmers do. It works for the clubs but i wonder how it works for the players, especially those on mid tier contracts that may have a wife working etc etc

But if the loading of contracts is the case you have to look at gains and losses the previous year as well as it would have impacted it as well

4. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    You left out Foran there.  He would have received the biggest contract increase.  I doubt the others would have been too great an upgrade.  I still can't fathom how we are at the cap level now, thats apparently after letting Bailey go as well.  Does that mean if he wasn't released we would have been over the cap for 2011 or have the already moved to front end some contract money?

5. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    According to the paper a few weeks ago they could only signed Matai once Bailey was released.

My gut feel is we are paying the price for 2008 this year in terms of backended contracts as Ryan suggests.

Having said that I think financial pressures at a club level may have come into play as well.

6. EagleRock40

EagleRock40 Well-Known Member

Ourimbah, New South Wales
    Ratings:
    +211 / 4
    No way should DCE be on $100k, he hasn't even debuted yet! And I think Bailey was closer to $200k. Lyon, Watmough and Stewart wouldn't have had upgrades, at the most maybe a back ended deal for Lyon but I'm pretty sure his big $$$ are in 2012

7. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    It is fairly simple imo to see how we are at the cap limit

Recent/Current Internationals

Stewart
    Stewart
    Lyon
    Williams
    Watmough
    Matai
    Foran
    Kite

Origin

King
    Ballin

Even if we are conservative and say that they are averaging out at $225,000 each that is just over half the cap gone with 15 more slots to fill

8. ERNIE FOR NO7

ERNIE FOR NO7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 1
    DCE would be on that at least.

The reason for lack of signings might not be about the cap but about the bank balance.

9. Jonesyv2

Jonesyv2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    It's about the cap guys, your conspiracy theories are cute but incorrect.

10. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,471 / 42

The reason for lack of signings might not be about the cap but about the bank balance.
    [/quote]
    for a kid who has never played first grade?..no way.

11. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0

[/quote]
    [/quote]

His got massive wraps

12. ERNIE FOR NO7

ERNIE FOR NO7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 1

[/quote]
    [/quote]

13. StuBoot

StuBoot Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +795 / 7
    Hodkinson had big wraps too & didn't exactly set the world on fire.
    He may do in years to come & the Dogs have paid big on the expectation.