[Resurrected] Wrecked car could cost Manly Sea Eagles sponsorship

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mal Cochrane

I'm not really Mal Cochrane...

NRL 2021: Wrecked car could cost Manly Sea Eagles sponsorship​

A long-term deal between the Sea Eagles and a local car dealership could be over following a crashed car. FULL DETAILS

Phil Rothfield and Dean Ritchie

February 8, 2021 - 12:30PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

This is the car wreckage that has potentially cost the Manly Sea Eagles a long-term sponsorship.
The Mitsubishi SUV was on loan to front-rower Addin Fonua-Blake as part of his contract before he quit the club to join the New Zealand Warriors.
The Tongan international crashed the car on the October long weekend last year.
He rang Manly’s football general manager John Bonasera to report the accident and have the car towed back to the dealership, Brookvale Mitsubishi.
As a result, the dealer principal, Chris Williams, is no longer providing cars for the players and is not renewing his sponsorship. He has declined to comment.
Addin Fonua-Blake returned his sponsored club car to Manly.

The Daily Telegraph is seeking comment from Fonua-Blake’s manager Tyrone Smith.
Manly CEO Stephen Humphreys had few details about the accident.
“I’d suggest you talk to Addin,” Humphreys said.
“He was the one who was in it.
“There’s no joy for anyone other than the smash repairer.
“The sponsor has stopped providing us with cars. To be fair their agreement was up, we were hopeful of continuing the relationship but they chose not to renew. It’s rather costly.”
Addin Fonua-Blake . Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Fonua-Blake was released by the Sea Eagles from the final two years of his contract in September last year on compassionate grounds.

It was a shock because he was considered one of the top few front-rowers in the competition.

There was concern at the time about bad influences in his life and the need for him to get out of Sydney.

Well AFB is gone so he should repair the car for Mitsubishi since his on stupid money at the Worriers..
There is no way that a car like that would not be insured, it would be no different if you were taking a test drive and had an accident, it's called driving and accidents happen to just about anyone, it wasn't malicious damage.
This dealer principal is being a bit precious, I wouldn't really consider buying a Mitsubishi , however definitely not now from this dealership.

Is it a long stretch to link this with his hasty departure a month later. Is this story a way for the journo to get something out there without 'getting something out there?
Seems a pretty innocuous story thread .
I'm wondering if a few behind the scenes whispers have got the ball rolling on this yarn and there's more to come out?

Or perhaps not.....

There is no way that a car like that would not be insured, it would be no different if you were taking a test drive and had an accident, it's called driving and accidents happen to just about anyone, it wasn't malicious damage.
This dealer principal is being a bit precious, I wouldn't really consider buying a Mitsubishi , however definitely not now from this dealership.

That's what I thought.

It's an accident. there's no suggestion of dui, gratuitous beer skolling (or sculling - dopey Aussies) or reckless music on the stereo.

I'd suggest the sponsor may not be doing that well in this covid age so used any excuse not to re-new.

I'm sure there's a sponsorship person in the club. Time to get to work.

(May I suggest Lamborghini?)

Seems like the sponsorship deal had finished anyway. As stated above the car would have been insured, and they get pranged occasionally. It is a non-story.

If this is the best "garbage" they can write on our off season then they really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for a negative story on Manly..Well done boys and I see they both have their name on the article, major scoop LMFAO

NRL 2021: Wrecked car could cost Manly Sea Eagles sponsorship​

A long-term deal between the Sea Eagles and a local car dealership could be over following a crashed car. FULL DETAILS

Phil Rothfield and Dean Ritchie

February 8, 2021 - 12:30PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

This is the car wreckage that has potentially cost the Manly Sea Eagles a long-term sponsorship.
The Mitsubishi SUV was on loan to front-rower Addin Fonua-Blake as part of his contract before he quit the club to join the New Zealand Warriors.
The Tongan international crashed the car on the October long weekend last year.
He rang Manly’s football general manager John Bonasera to report the accident and have the car towed back to the dealership, Brookvale Mitsubishi.
As a result, the dealer principal, Chris Williams, is no longer providing cars for the players and is not renewing his sponsorship. He has declined to comment.

The Daily Telegraph is seeking comment from Fonua-Blake’s manager Tyrone Smith.
Manly CEO Stephen Humphreys had few details about the accident.
“I’d suggest you talk to Addin,” Humphreys said.
“He was the one who was in it.
“There’s no joy for anyone other than the smash repairer.
“The sponsor has stopped providing us with cars. To be fair their agreement was up, we were hopeful of continuing the relationship but they chose not to renew. It’s rather costly.”

Fonua-Blake was released by the Sea Eagles from the final two years of his contract in September last year on compassionate grounds.

It was a shock because he was considered one of the top few front-rowers in the competition.

There was concern at the time about bad influences in his life and the need for him to get out of Sydney.
I can't see much wrong with that car?

Honestly in this new Covid world sponsors are going to be going more than coming.

In business you’d be looking at every single line item to reduce costs where you could.

I ultimately think the salaries of players will have to come down to accommodate this new world but I’m sure they’ll put up a fair fight to not see that happen.

Lucky Buzz doesn't know AFB was out for lunch 3 weeks prior to this accident and had 1 beer with his meal, could of really spiced up the story.

I ultimately think the salaries of players will have to come down to accommodate this new world but I’m sure they’ll put up a fair fight to not see that happen.

I think the drop could be substantial, 25-33%.

Too many people unemployed or under employed to pay for TV subscriptions, attend matches and have memberships. Reduced ground and club capacities all having a big affect.

It has to bite somewhere.

As for this story - it happened months ago and is hardly news.

Sponsors deal was up, and I am sure its not the first car that has been smashed while on loan, this club or others. . Insurance pays anyway.

The car itself is hardly a show piece vehicle, in fact its as ugly as sin and looks better smashed to me., at least it has character now. Sorry if I have offended anyone who owns one of these square people carriers.

Last edited:
I think the drop could be substantial, 25-33%.

Too many people unemployed or under employed to pay for TV subscriptions, attend matches and have memberships. Reduced ground and club capacities all having a big affect.

It has to bite somewhere.

As for this story - it happened months ago and is hardly news.

Sponsors deal was up, and I am sure its not the first car that has been smashed while on loan, this club or others. . Insurance pays anyway.

The car itself is hardly a show piece vehicle, in fact its as ugly as sin and looks better smashed to me., at least it has character now. Sorry if I have offended anyone who owns one of these square people carriers.

Yes agree , it’ll be take a cut or the game slowly dies as they can’t keep the largesse that’s been happening going indefinitely.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6