Worth a mention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
From Fox Sports News:

Widely acknowledged as one of the top players in the NRL, North Queensland skipper Johnathan Thurston was on Monday night named as the game's hardest worker off the field as well.

Thurston was awarded the Ken Stephen Medal at the One Community awards, presented to the player who made the greatest contribution to the community this year.

It capped off an impressive year for the Australia, Queensland and North Queensland five-eighth.

As well as piloting his Cowboys to the semi-finals, Thurston finished fourth in the voting for this year's Dally M award, and was named five-eighth of the year.

The two-time Dally M Medal winner's latest honour was for his hard work helping a wide range of community activities - primarily his commitment to helping Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students through workshops.

"Hopefully I've been able to use my profile to show these kids how important it is to stay in school and get an education," Thurston said.

"If you achieve that, then there are so many things you can look at doing as an adult."

"I was the first person in my family to finish year 12 and it's something that I'm very proud of."

"No doubt it's helped me with my football and other areas around footy that I received the education that I did."

Thurston won the award ahead of Canberra five-eighth Terry Campese and St George Illawarra's Jason Nightingale.

Top bloke!

Thurston is a credit to our game.

I have so much respect for him as I know of some of the great stuff he does.

Also I rate highly Brett Stewart and Kitey as I know things they do that receives no publicity.

Plenty of off field champs in the NRL, even some bulldogs players.

Agree Bob. Monas was another who didn't ask recognition for off field work. Rugby league breeds some very tough, yet selfless champions.

Call him a whinger, sore loser or whatever but the things he does for the community is top notch. Even the little things like making sure he high fives every kid when running out, kicking tees, headgear every game. Hes a legend.

Shoe1 said:
He's just a naughty boy.

He's not a naughty boy. He's the messiah.
I don't know what he does off field, but on game day he is good for League as long as calls go his way.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6