Wolfie turns to film acting [SMH story]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/manly-sea-eagles-winger-david-williams-makes-his-acting-debut-in-tropfest-short-darkness-comes-on-sunday-20131206-2ywq5.html

Manly Sea Eagles winger David Williams makes his acting debut in Tropfest short 'Darkness Comes' on Sunday

December 7, 2013
Garry Maddox
Writer

mb_wide_wolfman-20131206214419986607-620x349.jpg

Thumbs up: John Marsh, left, and David 'Wolfman' Williams. Photo: Paul Howard

A desperate man races through a barren field seeking refuge before the sun sets.

To lecturer and filmmaker John Marsh, the star of the action-thriller that screens at Tropfest on Sunday night is one of his graphic design students at Sydney TAFE's Design Centre Enmore.

Fit guy. Lot of hair. Kooky sense of humour. Rugby league fans know him as Manly's colourful winger David Williams.

Having made comic videos and modelled while starring for the Sea Eagles, NSW and Australia, the ''Wolfman'' is making his dramatic acting debut in the short Darkness Comes.

Marsh said it took him a while to realise one of his students was a professional footballer.

''I didn't know who he was when I first met him," he said. "I don't follow football.

"Then when I pieced it all together, it made sense why he was built the way he was.''

Needing someone with "a big set of guns who was the strong silent type", Marsh originally wanted to use Williams in a film that did not eventuate.

When he devised Darkness Comes with creative partner Dane Hallett, Marsh thought the footballer was ideal casting as a man more desperate than an under-20s player facing a charging Greg Inglis.

They shot the film in a field with an abandoned farmhouse at Binya, near Griffith. ''I'm a movie buff, love watching movies, love acting, love role-play," Williams said. "I've been acting to be a footballer for the past seven years so I suppose it's in the blood there somewhere.''

With a league player's typical reticence, Williams said he really liked the film but found it "cringeworthy" watching himself try to act.

"But that's probably just the perfectionist in me, thinking I could have done that better or I underplayed that or I should have done this," he said. "But credit to everyone involved."

So does the 27-year-old see acting as an alternative career when he retires?

''I was thinking about alternative careers when I was 20,'' Williams said. ''I haven't had the best run with injuries so I put that in play a long time ago.

"I had fun doing it and if anything else comes up, I'll certainly stick my hand up and hopefully give it a good crack.''

Darkness Comes is one of 16 shorts screening at a Tropfest with a difference.

Organisers have shifted the festival from February to December, partly to avoid the rain that has plagued the event, and from the Domain to Centennial Park.

Trop Jr, the competition for filmmakers aged 15 and under, starts at 11am. The main event features entertainment by Busby Marou, Illy and Tina Arena before the films screen at 8pm.

Hope his film wins the Tropfest - he has a snipet on his twitter page - scary :cool:

Tropfest is televised on SBS 2 Sunday 8:30 or free at Centenial Park

I reckon it'll bomb out!:p...sorry Wolfie...jokes.....more worried about the teachers line...

"Then when I pieced it all together, it made sense why he was built the way he was."...hmmmm......I don't want to know.:blush:

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/79559235822/Tropfest-Dec-2013-Darkness-Comes

The birth of Wolfie, on film - intense yet stranglely appealing.:)

"I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world."

"I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges."

"His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit."

"He is a loathesome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away."

"He transcends time and space."

"He sickens me."

"I love it."

"Me too."
- An elderly art loving couple, admiring the painting of Kramer, in "The Letter"

Well whatever the arts twitterers tweet regarding the film, Wolfie looked HOT.
Was a bit concerned about his diet in the movie. Dog food washed down by bourbon's not good for his pre season training. Thought he played the character perfectly. Thumbs up from me. Now back in your Manly gear our much loved hairy one.

I was just flicking and fluked seeing it. I saw this guy running across a paddock, hesitated with the remote. Watched a bit more, then i thought, **** he looks like the wolfman. This kept me watching until the credits and there he was, the wolfman, with a special thanks to george mimmis...........then i flicked again pretty quickly

He done good, played strong ;)

Congrats Wolfy, it was a fine acting performance!!

wombatgc said:
I reckon it'll bomb out!:p...sorry Wolfie...jokes.....more worried about the teachers line...

"Then when I pieced it all together, it made sense why he was built the way he was."...hmmmm......I don't want to know.:blush:

Hmmmm indeed. The MWSE website says that Williams was "Propositioned by director John Marsh"

wedgetail eagle said:
Wolfie might give Crowey some acting tips.

There's a show over here called "The Republic of Doyle." About a couple of knockabout PI's in Newfoundland. (It's not very well acted but strangely appealing).

Low and behold if R. Crowe wasn't on one episode!

Oscar winner to a 1 episode appearance on R of D!

Surely...the only way is up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Doyle

globaleagle said:
wedgetail eagle said:
Wolfie might give Crowey some acting tips.

There's a show over here called "The Republic of Doyle." About a couple of knockabout PI's in Newfoundland. (It's not very well acted but strangely appealing).

Low and behold if R. Crowe wasn't on one episode!

Oscar winner to a 1 episode appearance on R of D!

Surely...the only way is up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Doyle

Get back to me when you see him on a re-run of Beachcombers, then I'll know he has made it.

Chip and Chase said:
Get back to me when you see him on a re-run of Beachcombers, then I'll know he has made it.

Hahaha. I get that reference, but only because they mentioned it on "Corner Gas."

HappilyManly said:
A little Manly snippet on Fox Sports News now that Wolfie has extended his contract for one year :)

Sigh....1 more year of you and niccipops posting wolfie's fat fatty McFat fat torso on here.

:p;):angel::cool:

With any luck, Kayne Lawton secures a first grade spot next year, and the Torso Trust continues infinitum :D
[attachment=727]

globaleagle said:
Well...... I'm pretty sure it'd be better than a "men of silvertails" calendar!

Hahaha. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of law preventing the public from such frightening images.:p

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6