Will Hopoate details the impact of his father’s infamous acts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
John Hopoate tarnished his family’s name by sticking his finger in the bottoms of NRL opponents. His son has revealed the heavy impact.

Will Hopoate is tackled in a game against the Sharks. Picture: Brett CostelloSource:News Corp Australia

William Hopoate was only eight years old when his father, John, stunned the NRL by attempting to stick his finger in the bottoms of three North Queensland Cowboys players.

Seventeen years on, the Bulldogs star has written about the impact of the disastrous acts in a column for the Players Voice.

Hopoate, 26, says Wests Tigers teammates of his father insisted his decision to poke Glenn Morrison, Peter Jones and Paul Bowman was “supposed to be a prank to watch in team video sessions” but “ended up costing him his personal brand for life”.

“It was a difficult time for our family,” Hopoate wrote. “I’d wake up to dozens of media people camped outside our home every day. I couldn’t jump on my own trampoline on the front deck. The curtains were closed and, when we left the house, we were followed.

“The moment we walked outside, cameras started flashing, reporters would be shouting questions and the circus would begin.

“People driving by would stick their fingers up and dad, having a short temper, would chase them. Kids at school and opposing sporting teams would ‘poke’ fun at me. My family was all over TV and the back and front pages of the newspaper. It wasn’t a great period.

“Dad was being portrayed like he was a murderer, which confused the heck out of me, because that was nothing like the man I saw at home day in, day out.”

81503c36a01ac72202d89189d8316249

John Hopoate (bottom) interferes with an opponent.Source:News Limited

William Hopoate overcame the stigma attached to his surname to debut in the NRL in 2010 and has gone on to represent NSW and Tonga.

He credits his father for much of his success.

“Many fathers teach their children by example. They reinforce parental messages by showing their children what to do and demonstrating how to live their lives,” he wrote.

“My dad took the opposite approach. He showed me exactly what not to do. John Hopoate was the crash test dummy of our family.

“I’ve asked dad why he played the way he did. He told me he was just naturally aggressive and wanted to dominate and intimidate his opposing player. I know he didn’t intentionally go looking for controversy, so when penalties came up for misbehaviour, it did frustrate him.

“There’s no straightforward answer to why we are such different personalities. It’s confusing for many people, and sometimes even me. What I do know is that I wouldn’t be who or where I am today without the help of dad.

“Has he made mistakes? Yes. Has he done dumb things? Sure has. Does he have a short temper? Absolutely. But you could say the same of a lot of people. They just don’t have the profile of dad, so their mistakes don’t draw the same level of attention.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/w...s/news-story/c8c916db3525e8dc92e1a704855dca0c

John Hopoate tarnished his family’s name by sticking his finger in the bottoms of NRL opponents. His son has revealed the heavy impact.

William Hopoate was only eight years old when his father, John, stunned the NRL by attempting to stick his finger in the bottoms of three North Queensland Cowboys players.

Seventeen years on, the Bulldogs star has written about the impact of the disastrous acts in a column for the Players Voice.

Hopoate, 26, says Wests Tigers teammates of his father insisted his decision to poke Glenn Morrison, Peter Jones and Paul Bowman was “supposed to be a prank to watch in team video sessions” but “ended up costing him his personal brand for life”.

“It was a difficult time for our family,” Hopoate wrote. “I’d wake up to dozens of media people camped outside our home every day. I couldn’t jump on my own trampoline on the front deck. The curtains were closed and, when we left the house, we were followed.

“The moment we walked outside, cameras started flashing, reporters would be shouting questions and the circus would begin.

“People driving by would stick their fingers up and dad, having a short temper, would chase them. Kids at school and opposing sporting teams would ‘poke’ fun at me. My family was all over TV and the back and front pages of the newspaper. It wasn’t a great period.

“Dad was being portrayed like he was a murderer, which confused the heck out of me, because that was nothing like the man I saw at home day in, day out.”
William Hopoate overcame the stigma attached to his surname to debut in the NRL in 2010 and has gone on to represent NSW and Tonga.

He credits his father for much of his success.

“Many fathers teach their children by example. They reinforce parental messages by showing their children what to do and demonstrating how to live their lives,” he wrote.

“My dad took the opposite approach. He showed me exactly what not to do. John Hopoate was the crash test dummy of our family.

“I’ve asked dad why he played the way he did. He told me he was just naturally aggressive and wanted to dominate and intimidate his opposing player. I know he didn’t intentionally go looking for controversy, so when penalties came up for misbehaviour, it did frustrate him.

“There’s no straightforward answer to why we are such different personalities. It’s confusing for many people, and sometimes even me. What I do know is that I wouldn’t be who or where I am today without the help of dad.

“Has he made mistakes? Yes. Has he done dumb things? Sure has. Does he have a short temper? Absolutely. But you could say the same of a lot of people. They just don’t have the profile of dad, so their mistakes don’t draw the same level of attention.”

When Will was doing his mission he was with the group who sent two lost souls on bicycles to my door to show me the "light". They saw the big framed Manly poster in our entryway and said "oh Manly" and made a poking gesture.

Good times
Good times.

The Legends of League tournament has descended into farce on the Central Coast with John Hopoate re-enacting one of the grubbiest incidents in rugby league history.

Wearing a white glove onto the field, the old Manly Sea Eagles winger Hopoate finger-poked opponents in today’s match against the Newcastle Knights.

He was banned for 12 weeks in 2001 for the same revolting act on a Cowboys player which judiciary chairman Jim Hall described as the most disgusting incident he had dealt with in 45 years.

Sure this time it was light hearted but still repulsive.

More recently the 44-year-old was banned for 10 years (five of them suspended) for three code of conduct charges following his send-off in a match playing for Narraweena Hawks.

NSWRL CEO David Trodden said at the time: “Every governing body has an obligation to the participants who play our game to ensure they can play in a safe and enjoyable environment.”

Yet Hopoate took the field with his old Manly teammates yesterday and the governing body could do nothing about it.

“The tournament is not sanctioned by any official rugby league body,” Trodden said.

“The NSWRL has no jurisdiction over the competition.”

Hopoate’s son Will, the Bulldogs’ fullback, spoke about the infamous incident back in 2001 on Players’ Voice last week.

The bum-poking incident turned out to be a great example of John’s resilience,” he said.

“I didn’t realise it at the time but, looking back, I do now.

“His old teammates have since told me the whole thing was supposed to be a prank to watch in team video sessions. It ended up costing him his personal brand for life, pretty much.

“It was a difficult time for our family. I was eight years old — my other siblings were six, three, two and a newborn — and I’d wake up to dozens of media people camped outside our home every day.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/1cca9468eb5b5c740d9a3fd783c19dcf

Apart from this dill thinking it was a good idea to revive such a disgraceful act, the most disappointing aspect here is that Hopoate pulled (or poked) that stunt whilst wearing Manly gear. Not Wests’ Tigers gear.

Did any of our other former ‘greats’ present advise him that that wasn’t a good idea - pulling the stunt in the first place and doing it in Manly colours? Menzies, Lyons, come on down - my understanding is that they were in Gosford too.

If I was the owners or the CEO, I would be asking for a ‘please explain’ from Menzies. Likewise, if I was on the football club board I would be asking Lyons a few questions.

Last edited:
Poor taste Hoppa and it does show a lack of judgement but people need to calm the fuk down these days. I'm sure there are many more 1st world issues that need to be reported on.

Will plays for The Dogs, so who gives a **** about how he feels or thinks?

Until he plays for Manly, he's just another turncoat.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6