Will DCE take a pay-cut?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm stunned by some of the reactions from those getting stuck into DCE again (not on this site), because of his challenge of the NRL and its use of monies. The old 'greed ' issue and his backing out of the Titan's deal is again being pushed in certain media and media response areas.

DCE is acting for the players in his role where he has taken on the administration over monies that had been secretly diverted away from a retirement fund for players. They were like employers failing to pay super contributions. He wasnt doing it solely for himself. He was representing the players, and its obvious because he is smarter than most of his fellow footballers and a better communicator that he should take on that role. But instead I read an article and some related comments (not from this site) criticising him and making out it was for his benefit alone. Typical ovine oafs, following what ever is reported as factual and doing the old witch hunt game. Fair dinkum, some people need a lobotomy...and that's after they are tarred and feathered.
Bear I just ignore those getting stuck into DCE & other players. Don't know why people waste their time responding to be honest. Ignore them & they eventually go away! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however some are just antagonistic & expect a response. As far as I'm concerned I don't give a $hit what others say about DCE or whoever. It's envy & anyone on here who bags our own is NOT a Manly supporter....end of story.

To all the doubters.....still think DCE thinks of himself only? Read below from SMH!

The key role Cherry-Evans played in the NRL's player pay deal

Christian Nicolussi
By Christian Nicolussi
April 4, 2020 — 7.30pm

Rugby league's highest earner, Daly Cherry-Evans, was so determined to get some answers about the NRL's financial state that he was mysteriously snubbed from vital phone hook-ups in the latter stages of the pay negotiations.
The man who was once booed by his fellow Queenslanders in a game at Suncorp Stadium has emerged as leader in the game in his new role as Rugby League Players Association director, performing a key role in securing two months' of full pay during often heated negotiations with head office.

Speaking for the first time since the game was shut down by COVID-19 – and then the NRL and Rugby League Players Association took nearly a fortnight to come to a deal – Cherry-Evans told The Sun-Herald why he took it upon himself to get so heavily involved in the negotiations.
He also said Manly owner Scott Penn had given him plenty of assurances the Sea Eagles would survive the global pandemic and was open to State of Origin kick-starting league's return, as long as players were at no extra risk of injury.
Advertisement

The Manly and Queensland skipper, 31, was said to have become heated when he learnt of how dire the NRL's bank balance was. Cherry-Evans wanted to see the numbers for himself rather than take anyone's word for it.
"Nobody really wins out of this – this was never going to be a situation where there was going to be a happily ever after," Cherry-Evans said. "But as a player and a board member on the RLPA I wanted to make sure my teammates and fellow players were looked after the best way they could be.
"I'm not angry at anyone. From the information I was shown, there was the potential for things to have been handled a little bit differently the past few years, and if it had been, the game and players could have been left better off with this situation.
Plenty have admired DCE's leadership qualities the past couple of weeks.

Plenty have admired DCE's leadership qualities the past couple of weeks.CREDIT:GETTY
"When we did get an opportunity to speak with Todd and Peter directly, I wanted to have made sure I had asked enough questions and gathered enough information to take back to the players."

Cherry-Evans signed a $10 million deal to be a "Sea Eagle for life" in 2015, but only took a leadership role as a RLPA player director in December last year.
"The easiest thing for me could have been to sit at home and spend time with my family," he said. "But I owe this game so much. If there was a role I could play to somehow benefit the broader playing group, I was willing to be that person and sacrifice my time at home to get more answers.
"I wanted to try and make this whole situation more palatable for everyone. There were definitely no winners at the end of this agreement."
Cherry-Evans' public perception has gone from that of an outcast to a leader, but he laughs when it's put to him.
"It's no secret I love rugby league and playing the game," he said. "I've been through some really different experiences over the course of the last 10 years, and with all that experience I've gained and the players I've rubbed shoulders with, I'd be crazy not to try and give back to the playing group.

"The players are the product of this game and we don't take it for granted. We're no different to someone who works at a cafe or as a tradie, and if you work hard you deserve to be looked after.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/de...gree-to-revised-pay-plan-20200402-p54glq.html
"We'll respect our privilege to play in the NRL and I'll make sure I continue to help with this fight and that we're looked after in the correct manner."Time will tell if the NRL and RLPA rip up the collective bargaining agreement and go back to the negotiating table when the COVID-19 crisis finally ends, which would mean a revised salary cap for the remaining two years of the broadcast deal, 2021 and 2022.Cherry-Evans says he has had regular conversations with Manly owner Penn and club CEO Stephen Humphries about the Eagles' long-term survival.

"Scott has been involved in some pretty dark times at this club – his heart lies with Manly, he won't let us fall by the wayside," Cherry-Evans said.

Good on you DCE.

I've always considered this person a smart operator who has been unfairly tarred by some ill-informed media, former player and public identities. The Titans debacle was a media circus, just as with Brett Stewart, via biased reporting aimed at degrading these individuals, probably partly because they are such high profile icons in the game (tall poppy syndrome) and because of their association with the Sea Eagles club. In both cases they have handled the disgraceful attacks with a respectful and honourable manner and both deserve our greatest regard.

DCE represents to me one of the really finest elements of the game, and since first seeing him play and noting his way of handling himself, I've always admired and been impressed by his common sense approach to some most heinous attacks by many who I wouldnt bother even talking to if given the opportunity.

Good on you DCE.

Last edited:
Rugby league's highest earner, Daly Cherry-Evans, was so determined to get some answers about the NRL's financial state that he was mysteriously snubbed from vital phone hook-ups in the latter stages of the pay negotiations.

If true that seems to make a mockery of greenburg running around telling any reporter that will listen to him how transparent he and the nrl have been.

If I am reading it correctly .. the players will be paid as usual for these 2 months .. and then nothing for the remainder of the year ....

So they get full pay for 7 months .. nada for 5 months ... therefore they will take a cut of 5/12ths or 41.67% .... a fair haircut ... however if the game gets up and running and the broadcast dollars resume ... they will get a cut so may not end up as bad as could be expected ...

If I am reading it correctly .. the players will be paid as usual for these 2 months .. and then nothing for the remainder of the year ....

So they get full pay for 7 months .. nada for 5 months ... therefore they will take a cut of 5/12ths or 41.67% .... a fair haircut ... however if the game gets up and running and the broadcast dollars resume ... they will get a cut so may not end up as bad as could be expected ...
Will there be much of a cut if the game kicks on in July?

Meanwhile, in a professionally run sport (basically pick anything else) - the NHL players are still getting paid as per their contracts and a lot are helping out. sigh - well done greenburg you disappointment.

Artemi Panarin of the New York Rangers, Sergei Bobrovsky of the Florida Panthers and Semyon Varlamov, along with his New York Islanders teammates, purchased and arranged delivery of N95 masks to hospitals in their market over the past few days.

Panarin, a forward in his first season with the Rangers, donated 1,500 masks to Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.

Bobrovsky, who in his first season as Panthers goalie donated $100,000 to help BB&T Center workers stabilize their situations with no events at the venue, donated thousands of masks to multiple hospitals in the Fort Lauderdale, Florida area. -(spelling of stabilize fixed by ge)

Varlamov, also a goalie in his first season with New York, led his Islanders teammates in donating 3,000 masks to Northwell Health system on Long Island

edit: I'm sure there's more examples covering a range of sports - Just c/p an article that came across my mahogany leather inlaid antique desk.

...from Ikea

Last edited:
Will there be much of a cut if the game kicks on in July?
I guess it mostly depends on the broadcast revenue deal that is struck upon resumption...and that is probably very dependent on what show the NRL will be putting on.
I would say the broadcasters are in the box seat for the rest of this season, at least.

Yeah ... you would think that as soon as they resume some broadcast money would be available to the players and there overall paycuts would become pretty minimal ..

Not sure the Broadcasters have all the say ... going from most of the dribble on all the fox channells they are desperate for any sport in any part of the world to keep up their subsription rates .... they would even pay big bucks for a senior pensioners men's synchronised swimming comp if we could start one ..and play it to all their global audience ...

Yeah ... you would think that as soon as they resume some broadcast money would be available to the players and there overall paycuts would become pretty minimal ..

Not sure the Broadcasters have all the say ... going from most of the dribble on all the fox channells they are desperate for any sport in any part of the world to keep up their subsription rates .... they would even pay big bucks for a senior pensioners men's synchronised swimming comp if we could start one ..and play it to all their global audience ...

I'm still waiting for the broadcasters to recognise the thrill of a game of Patience aka Solitaire aka Reussite aka Kabala aka Klondike. What skill, what excitement, what intensity. I play it often on computer when I cant sleep...I soon sleep. Should be ideal for Foxtel

I'm still waiting for the broadcasters to recognise the thrill of a game of Patience aka Solitaire aka Reussite aka Kabala aka Klondike. What skill, what excitement, what intensity. I play it often on computer when I cant sleep...I soon sleep. Should be ideal for Foxtel

Hahah ... who would be your prefernence to call the action .... Rabs is pretty good at turning his hand to most sports ... the game may be above Vossies intellectual ability to follow .... Hadley would certainly add some drama and controversy ,,,, ??

Last edited:

I'm wondering how many games of freecell I can play before I go crazy (er). so far a couple of thousand and counting.

Also.... on the sports channel here there coverage of some poker tournament, a lot. Texas hold em I think.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6