Who will goal kick in 2018?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blake A

Reserve Grader
Jorge Taufua has resigned (which is good news), but who will kick goals in 2018? DCE, Dylan Walker when fit again, or does this give Funa from the 20s a good shot at Kelly's centre spot?

Last edited:
If Kelly gains some confidence and retains his spot i think he would be the kicker. I know there is a youtube highlights of him in the blues under 20s and slotted them from everywhere. Considering he seems to have been a kicker in the junior teams he would have the technique for it.

Considering our backline looks like it will stay the same then there are no options other than the players we have currently.

It is our biggest problem and those conversions are the difference between a close win or close loss

Kicking goals isn't that hard. If you practice. I used to be able to slot them from a foot in goal with the bend because we used to dick around for most of training kicking instead of actually training. So while I was very good at kicking goals, because we were so rubbish at actually playing because we never trained, I didn't get to put it into practice much...

Walks should be our kicker as Chez's workload is already enough.

Problem is that the leg he broke is his kicking leg :confused:

Walks should be our kicker as Chez's workload is already enough.

Problem is that the leg he broke is his kicking leg :confused:
Yeh , was just thinking the same thing with Dylan. I think that Siro may have previously done some goal kicking but hardly become an established kicker . Kelly can not really be considered as a definite starting centre , but no doubt goal kicking options is getting it"s share of attention right now with the Manly Brains Trust.

It would be good if Kelly, Funa and Walker did make a priority of goal kicking. For Kelly and Funa it would help assure them of a place in the top 13 as a good goal kicker is essential in every team.
I recall in the early days of Scam Smith; he was just an average goal kicker, but practice and confidence has taken him into the top echelon of goal kickers. So, it is a skill that can be improved.

I made a comment to someone after seeing U20'S GF, Funa may play a few nrl games next year BUT HE WILL NOT BE THE KICKER.

if we are good enough to beat the refs we certainly wont miss the 10 missed kicks per year total between the best and a 70% kicker

Give it to Kelly, obviously has talent in that department through juniors and 20s, plus will be a starting centre. Bit more practice in the off season and he will be right to go!

If we can get one of the boys pushing towards 75% then we will be okay

Having a good kicker is important but not as critical as some make out

An 75% kicker to 80% kicker is 15/20 goals to 16/20 goals

Now i'd prefer a Dylan Walker at a lower % then a Matthew Wright who adds less to the overall team

Brian Kelly would be my first preference. That youtube video shows he can kick, although he seems to struggle under pressure. Walks next option, and Greeny would be my third just because I reckon he could kick em. We have a whole off season for someone to stand up and start practising..

I'll measure the kicker by the last time they kicked over say 30 attempts.

Matthew Wright kicked @ 72% for us this season (2017) 36/50 attempts.
Dylan Walker kicked @ 62% for us this season (2017) 28/45 attempts.
DCE kicked @ 62% for us in (2011) 25/40 attempts. 82% for 2017 9/11.
Taufua has never been full time goal kicker for us

I remember thinking Walker was made as a kicker when he kicked that goal against the Raiders (with Leilua etc 3 feet away swearing at him) to win the match. They he was dumped for Wright!

I don't have an answer now but I can't believe we don't have a decent kicker in the making in one of our backs...

If you were Brian Kelly, the lack of a stand-out goal kicker would be obvious ... he would know his value increases twofold if he can slot them over ... I would think he would be putting in some time with the boots over the summer.

It could be that Baz thought he had enough on his plate in his rookie year without throwing him the ball to kick.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6