Who is our best ever half?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Its reaching the stage where the question will be asked. Is DCE as good as Toovey and where does he rank in today's halves? For mine DCE has passed Cronk as the best half playing in the NRL today. That's not to suggest he's yet up there with Cronk and Thurston at their best, but I cant see any half having the all round game and dominance of DCE today.

But where does this place him in Manly's all time best halves. There is only one half in my opinion in his league and that was Toovey. Very different players and each had strengths and weaknesses, but they stand out in my memory since 1965 as the one and two...but which is No 1? Maybe a little early to judge, but time is approaching when an assessment will be made. What's your thoughts.

Another premiership or two and more rep games over the coming years might see DCE shade Tooves?

Currently both have one premiership and a Clive Churchill medal each, Tooves have more games, plus renowned toughness than Cherry.

Time will tell!

Another premiership or two and more rep games over the coming years might see DCE shade Tooves?

Currently both have one premiership and a Clive Churchill medal each, Tooves have more games, plus renowned toughness than Cherry.

Time will tell!
Sure Tooves was tough, but I don't recall DCE missing a game through injury since he started playing with us.

Tooves by a fair way
DCE/
Ox
Gibbsy
Des
Blakey
Very honourable mentions to Dennis Ward, Johnny Mayes, Gary Stephens and Steve Martin, premiership winning halves all.

I thought the same if we are talking halves then Cliffy is well inside the top 5.
Talking halfback only than has to be Toovey.
giphy.gif

Top 5.

I vote Toovey #1.

Hasler & Blake spent a lot of games in other positions.

Others were top class but weren't around as long either, such as Gibbsy, Gary Stephens, Matt Orford, Denis Ward.

A lot could be said for Wally O'Connell too. But was he a halfback or a 5/8th? He captain-coached Manly to the 1951 grand final. If not for injury he would have played in the grand final and Manly may have won. https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2017/06/28/passing-of-wally-oconnell/

Toovey was tough no doubt and if had a kicking game could have gone down as one of the best ever in any team . Dce in a close one.

Toovey was tough no doubt and if had a kicking game could have gone down as one of the best ever in any team . Dce in a close one.
His short kicking game was underrated but I know what level of kicking game you mean.
What was vastly underrated was his speed off the mark.
It rarely gets a mention totally overshadowed by his toughness as does his captaincy and ability to run a team on the field.
Had many talents the great man...

His short kicking game was underrated but I know what level of kicking game you mean.
What was vastly underrated was his speed off the mark.
It rarely gets a mention totally overshadowed by his toughness as does his captaincy and ability to run a team on the field.
Had many talents the great man...
He was quick mate , straight through the hole , cut them to ribbons and a great captain leading by example. He put a daft kick through the dragon's defence for innes to score in the 96 gf I think, but he didn't have the long kick it tactical kick which is a shame. Great player though .

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6