Who are the BEST fowards??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
A big talking point has been the lack of size & grunt in our pack, particularly since being rolled by big direct packs in standout losses to Tigers, Broncos, Dogs & most recently Souths.
This is an area opposition teams will continue to target with good reason.
Still believe with the edge of finals footy, the fowards will lift the intensity by 25% to match the opposition packs & the backs will get us home, but obviously would love an extra tough nut leader that is lacking....
Cant have it all, most these teams with these gun fowards would kill for our halves & outside backs....
For mine Matt Scott is almost the perfect front rower, though love the dynamics Andrew Fafita brings.
Matalino has great quality & would thrive at the Seaeagles.
SBW & Burgess are the NRL standout fowards for good reason but Taumoulolo from Nth Qld is a massive talent ideal for the modern game.
Others are Cordner, Guerra & our 1 intimidator .... Watmough.
Who do you rate the best fowards & what teams have the best pack??

^ Yeah, I'd love to see Matalino in maroon and white. He's a great player. Jacob Lillyman has also been going great guns for the Warriors. He's always been good but seems to have lifted the last couple of seasons. And Matt Scott is probably the best prop in the game these days.
But they ain't coming and we have to make do with the forwards we've got - and I think we can. We put in a sub-par effort and still weren't that far away from the Bunnies. Our pack can lift. They're going to have to.

Choc is the toughest player in the NRL
Ballin in the most durable
Buhrer is a pocket rocket
Lawrence is the fastest prop
Startling makes the least amount of errors
Epalahame Lauaki is the meanest looking mother
Gift is a legend
and all the other forwards from the other NRL teams can go and get FKD :)

Sam Burgess is the best player in the game imo. he has that rare trait of digging in even when getting beaten. He is a true powerhouse.

SBW has skills to burn and the only player that comes close in that area is our own Glenn Stewart.

The Nate Myles that plays for QLD is right up there, but the Titans version is average.

Matt Scott is an awesome player, of course.

The best pack is a good question. Dogs, Souths, Roosters, Cowboys, Panthers and Warriors and even the Titans are all very good on their day. But the I think Manly's pack has layed the foundation for our position on the table this year.

I am not swapping Lawrence, Starling, King, Buhrer, Watmough, Horo, Ballin, JSL, Lui, Hasson, Symonds and Gift for any of the others.

I think our "budget pack" fares pretty well, when Choco retires (or leaves which I very much doubt) I think we should target an aggressive big name prop, which understandably is whomever is available at that time.

The likes of Burgess / Money Bill will never play for Manly, and to be honest I wouldn't want them....their skills yes....the big ego's....never!!

I don't know what King is on OR if he's going around for another year but despite his obvious loyalty and past efforts you'd have to agree he's getting to (or is already past) his use by date.

I imagine any saving in the cap, IF, he retires next year will have already gone on securing others so his departure won't affect the cap that much.

I know that's not answering "who are the best forwards" question but that's clearly been answered already

Surprised no mention of Gallen yet. Massive workrate and good offloading ability. Was interesting to hear him on the radio a few weeks ago, when asked had he, or would he, consider leaving the Sharks to chase a premiership, he said in 2010 he was close to signing with Manly, to the point he went house hunting on the northern beaches, but ultimately decided to stay. Said he did have a few regrets watching Manly go on to win the 2011 premiership.

an individual and a team or pack are often 2 different things.

Sure 1 more dominant prop would be great but with the salary cap you can't have it all unless you are Melbourne scum.

For Manly : 1. Terry Randall. 2. Steve Menzies 3. Malcolm Reilly 4. Anthony Watmough 5. Glen Stewart 6. Max Krilich 7. Bill Hamilton 8. Phil Lowe 9. Freddie Jones. 10. Les Boyd 11. Paul Vautin etc etc

I feel a bit sorry for Gallen, he's cleaned his game up and is now one of the "Poster Boys" of the game.....as to the ASADA deal it all remains to be proven.

Clearly winning SOO back will be the absolute highlight of his career, because he'll never ever win a Premiership with that rabble.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
For Manly : 1. Terry Randall. 2. Steve Menzies 3. Malcolm Reilly 4. Anthony Watmough 5. Glen Stewart 6. Max Krilich 7. Bill Hamilton 8. Phil Lowe 9. Freddie Jones. 10. Les Boyd 11. Paul Vautin etc etc

Ben Kennedy

Hate to mention one of the scum, but I think Jesse Bromwich goes well. Obviously Scott and Fafita are great. Like Maguire and Pauli Pauli as well

bones said:
EagleFromMay1967 said:

Ben Kennedy

Kevin Ward

Jason King is the type of player we need. He has the size. Has the experience. He doesn't have to be the best front rower on the field. He just needs to lead what is a great young energetic pack. In the big games the old man need to go up a level. May be worth Starting the old bloke for a few games coming into finals. If you felt like he wouldn't get hurt it would do his confidence the world of good.

The best forward in the game is probably Maria. Could have been a legend if she had stayed with us.

I think big Sam is massively overrated. He is a channel 9 darling (particularly Sterlo's darling) and I think he has a lot of errors in his game, dropping a lot of ball and poor reads in D. He is a wanker too.

Snake said:
I think big Sam is massively overrated. He is a channel 9 darling (particularly Sterlo's darling) and I think he has a lot of errors in his game, dropping a lot of ball and poor reads in D. He is a wanker too.
Lol - nothing you wouldn't say to him at the pub then.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7