Where does team Barrett rate all-time?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
So was reading about how s-house coach Seibold is nearing the guillotine, and it got me thinking - was the Barrett era coaching team one of the worst ever assembled?

You have Barrett - so his place in history goes without saying.

Carty - maybe the weak horse in this lot because his record as an assistant is pretty good. He just sucks ass as head coach.

Seibold - great 2018 with a stacked squad, so was that him or where there a group playing out of their skin? With a quality squad and additional *cough* "resources" at the Broncos he sucked hard. Hopefully continues to do so as well.

Thoughts?

There aren’t many coaches who actually excel.
Robinson, Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy, Green, Maguire, and (reluctantly included in the list) Flanagan have won comps, so can be judged successful coaches.

Once upon a time Stuart won a comp but I don’t really class him as a great success, I think he’s won spoons as well.

Who else is there?
Kearney, Cleary, Mary, Titans bloke, Brown, ... Brad Arthur??!! None of those I’d rate as successful. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, NRL coaching is a tough gig.

2018 Manly under Barrett was the worst Manly team I have ever seen.
But I only go back to following then since 1984
NYEagle
I agree. Barrett nudges out sharp as the worst manly coach. Shame for sharp he was a good bloke and had the decency to walk not blaming the club for the results. Sharps efforts in 2002 were a miracle

Use to think Sharpe was our worst coach but now I think TB is our worst coach.

Wasn't their talk of trying to get Brad Auther here in the last few seasons, I glad that never happened as he would have given both Sharpe and Trent a run for their money.

TB = Terrible Barrett

The Worst

He has Parra to thank for Manly not getting the spoon

In the end he typified his character . A quitter

Last edited:
Any coaching is a tough gig, be it under 7s right through to NRL.

In saying that, the Barrett era made it tough to even be a supporter, let alone a coach.

Others will probably disagree, and that is ok, but I’m pretty happy to leave all this TB talk in the past. I think everything that can be said about him has been said.

We have a future that is bright, imo, and that’s the most important thing.
Fair call. I only started this one after reading something about Seibold being under the pump. I remember when he was here he hailed as a defensive guru and our defence was routinely ****.

I am sure our assistant coach appreciates being eloquently told he ‘sucked ass’ (did you mean donkeys?) as a head coach.

His early record at the Titans wasn’t too bad really.

But why do some keep dredging up the Barrett era? Move on.

Baz was not ready for NRL level.

He just had 3 week stints as Country Coach and the undemanding NYC season.

I put the blame solely on Bozo for making Baz a fulltime NRL Coach without any justification for his readiness :cool:

It's like blaming Croker for not being an NRL level 5/8 @:cool:
Your points have merit. Bozo made a sh~ithouse decision to appoint a sh-ithouse coach at a time when the Penn's were running the club like a sh-ithouse. Enough said.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6