When we were the Silvertails

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tugga8

A lot has been made of our financial position lately (or lack there of). I was quite young during the era when we were labeled the "Silvertails" and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on where all our money came from back then.

I believe Kerry Packer had a lot to do with that. There must also have been some businesses that dropped money to us. As well as sponsors. I also understand the Leagues club was one of the stronger ones at the time.

eagleE said:
I believe Kerry Packer had a lot to do with that. There must also have been some businesses that dropped money to us. As well as sponsors. I also understand the Leagues club was one of the stronger ones at the time.

Correct on both counts.

And correct that Superleague killed Manly as "Silvertails"

It was a great name but really hasn't applied for years now

tugga8 said:
A lot has been made of our financial position lately (or lack there of). I was quite young during the era when we were labeled the "Silvertails" and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on where all our money came from back then.

BY the way welcome Tugga

Manly Leagues spent their poker machine income on the football club and on new facilities for Leagues Club members such as a pool.

Canterbury Leagues spent their poker machine money on new floor area to put in more poker machines and make more money.

Now Bulldogs NRL are cashed up and Sea Eagles NRL are paupers.

Brissie Kid said:
Manly Leagues spent their poker machine income on the football club and on new facilities for Leagues Club members such as a pool.

Canterbury Leagues spent their poker machine money on new floor area to put in more poker machines and make more money.

Ha that is correct as well

Brissie Kid said:

On the plus side, Manly are set to be one of the clubs least affected by the proposed new poker machine regulations while the dogs will be hit very hard (as will Penrith).

firechild said:
Brissie Kid said:

On the plus side, Manly are set to be one of the clubs least affected by the proposed new poker machine regulations while the dogs will be hit very hard (as will Penrith).

It is goes back to demographics. As much as it pains me to say, Canterbury Leagues is in prime position for money making. An area crowded with Asians and Arabs, and as un-racist as this sounds, these are the two biggest gambling groups.

Can also go back to the fact that a lot of money does get laundered through pubs and clubs (I have friends who work in some pubs/ clubs), and the Western suburbs does have a higher crime rate.

As for us, our leagues club does not have a gambling revenue anywhere as near as Panthers or Canterbury Leagues, so it is understandable why we will be one of the least affected.

One of the problems with our Leagues Club is it's ability to get customers in the front door these days. The Dee Why RSL up the road is a much better club, and there is alot of other competition.

It's busy on game days, but very quiet most other times. Without game days it would probably up and die.

Back in its day it was packed on Friday and Saturday nights and a fun night out, now you could throw a grenade through the door at 8pm on a Saturday night and probably not hurt anyone.

Brookie4eva said:
One of the problems with our Leagues Club is it's ability to get customers in the front door these days. The Dee Why RSL up the road is a much better club, and there is alot of other competition.

It's busy on game days, but very quiet most other times. Without game days it would probably up and die.

Back in its day it was packed on Friday and Saturday nights and a fun night out, now you could throw a grenade through the door at 8pm on a Saturday night and probably not hurt anyone.

Should we be worried :p

Brissie Kid said:

It will be only short lived though for the dogs and Greensplurge knows that, his clubs income will fall by 40% when the new pokie reforms take effect in May next year. They hold the most poker machines of any club in Sydney and will cost them a fortune,firstly to convert them all to to the new requirements and secondly the massive loss in income.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7