When Did TV Networks Become More Important Than Paying Fans?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Just wondering if anyone can put a date on this. I know its a product of Super League.

Its been the downfall of rugby league as we knew it.

SL takeover plus the advent of technology making it so accessible in people's homes :sleepy:

We are breeding a generation who prefer to live in a virtual reality - through screens of smartphones, pcs and tvs :s

The NRL has enough money to run the comp without anyone turning up to the game.

It would be interesting to pinpoint, it seems to have gradually built and built until now you just see that the NRL does not care in the slightest about crowds. Very short term view in my mind, but who can argue with the brilliance of Smith, Greenburg etc?

Virtual crowds, don't worry it's coming !!

Thursday night has been a ratings bonanza for Nein, expect that to be all season next year.

I'm sure it happened earlier, but when that fat prick who runs Channel Nine (not Kerry Packer, the new one) came out with the "I bought the game and I'll do what I want with it" line after the last TV deal, I died a little inside.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Thursday night has been a ratings bonanza for Nein, expect that to be all season next year.

That's because there is nothing else to watch on Thursday's before 8:30pm.

Nein bought the game. Not the TV rights.

Used to be that a network paid to cover the competition that was run by the NSWRL and ARL after them.

But then News Limited came along and turned a sport into a "product". We, as fans, weren't part of the consideration when the suits walked in and worked out they could make millions from selling advertising and subscriptions to pay TV.

So unless someone grows a pair and tells these people that the fans have to be considered too because without them the game doesn't propagate, the same crap we've been enduring the last few years will only get worse.

I dont think TV took over from fans as the most important revenue stream for the game, it took over that title from Pokermachines.

Pay TV changed everything.

There was a time when if you wanted to see your team play you had to get off your backside and go to the venue.

Now people can watch every match of the season without leaving their house for a relatively small amount of money.

Aaron said:
Pay TV changed everything.

There was a time when if you wanted to see your team play you had to get off your backside and go to the venue.

Now people can watch every match of the season without leaving their house for a relatively small amount of money.

Yep correct there, and another "fall out" from the Super League war

Remember pre Super League there was limited RL on the Telly, now its wall to wall.

If Thursday nights are to stay, then Monday night HAS to go!!!

The extra day causes too many short turn arounds for clubs outside of the Donkeys and the Vermin!!

sheridanstand78 said:
If Thursday nights are to stay, then Monday night HAS to go!!!

The extra day causes too many short turn arounds for clubs outside of the Donkeys and the Vermin!!

If Thursday nights are here to stay then they can start spreading the matches between all clubs.

Monday night matches are the worst.

Due to the time difference between here and NZ, the Warriors never have the disadvantage of playing a home match on a Monday night.

Monday night is so popular, than Channel 10 will bid for them exclusively in 2017.

We, who like to attend live games, will continue to dwindle in numbers :(

HoldenV8 said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

That's because there is nothing else to watch on Thursday's before 8:30pm.
or after
The reaction by the NRabbitohs League to the 18K + crowd at Brooky was one of bemusement.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2