What's your YART for when your life depends on it?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Inspired by recent historical reminiscing posts, I've been wondering about a hypothetical best of team for when you need a side that will never ever let you down, or take a backward step, or lose heart. The may not be the most individually brilliant or play the most flashy football, but they will win when the opposition are intimidating and your life depends on it.
Here's mine.

Graham Eadie
Tom Mooney Jon Hopoate
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Bob Fulton
Geoff Toovey
Malcolm Reilly
Terry Randall Steve Menzies
John O'Neil Max Krilich Jon Harvey

Subs
David Gillespie, Ben Kennedy, Mark Carroll, Ian Martin

Inspired by recent historical reminiscing posts, I've been wondering about a hypothetical best of team for when you need a side that will never ever let you down, or take a backward step, or lose heart. The may not be the most individually brilliant or play the most flashy football, but they will win when the opposition are intimidating and your life depends on it.
Here's mine.

Graham Eadie
Tom Mooney Jon Hopoate
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Bob Fulton
Geoff Toovey
Malcolm Reilly

Subs
A fair few I would have in there so I'll throw in some match winners and trenchmen : Alan Thompson, Russell Gartner, Paul Vautin, Ron Gibbs, Kevin Ward, Michael O'Connor, Matthew Ridge, Cliffy, the Ox, Brent Kite, Steve Bell, Snake, DCE, Mighty Kapow.

Here's mine.

Graham Eadie
Tom Mooney Jon Hopoate
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Bob Fulton
Geoff Toovey
Malcolm Reilly

Subs
Wow
Imagine that side if we got behind in a game
I can hear the chants already as we pull the game back in our favour and get ourselves back in front

Eadie
O'Connor
Innes
Lyon
Robertson
Lyons
Toovey
Vautin
Menzies
Randall
Carroll
Krilich
Ward
Reserves:
Hasler
Kennedy
Kite
J Turbo

Although i am sure worthy, i did not consider players i have not seen play such as Fulton and Reilly.

Here's mine.

Graham Eadie
Tom Mooney Jon Hopoate
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Bob Fulton
Geoff Toovey
Malcolm Reilly

Subs
Really great side - I agree with starting team but would change the bench. Brent Kite, Ian Martin, Marty Tapau, Cliff Lyons.

Eadie
O'Connor
Innes
Lyon
Robertson
Lyons
Toovey
Vautin
Menzies
Randall
Carroll
Krilich
Ward
Reserves:
Hasler
Kennedy
Kite
J Turbo

Although i am sure worthy, i did not consider players i have not seen play such as Fulton and Reilly.
shame you didn't see them both they were the very best we had

To my way of thinking the 'best ever team' and the 'when your life depends on it team' are the same team.

All great players.
One not mentioned is the centre Craig Innes. He was known as 'The Postman' because he always delivered.
Just one worthy of consideration, not necessarily in the superstar class.

1. Superman. Will stop a train so any player who makes a break is in deep sheet
2. Batman. Because he is batman
3. Robin. Batmans insider
4. Wolverine. Would slice through the defence
5. The Flash. speed on the wing nuff said
6. Tony stark. talented tactician and a hard runner
7. Macgyver. Crafty nutter will scheme a plan with a blade of grass and the laces off his boots
8. The Hulk. Who else would you want as a bookend
9. Julia Roberts. pretty sure she once played hooker
10. The Thing. tough as a rock
11. Rambo. mows down anything in front of him
12. Terminator. Never gives up, just when you think he is done he'll be back
13. Hancock. Because every NRL team has a drunk who is constantly in trouble with the cops

Here's mine

Graham Eadie
Tom Mooney Michael O'Connor
Jamie Lyon Craig Innes
Bob Fulton
Geoff Toovey
Malcolm Reilly
John O'Neill Max Krilich Ian Roberts

Subs
Les Boyd, Ben Kennedy, Des Hasler, Ian Martin

thanks all.
Hard to argue against Ian Roberts, Les Boyd, Kevin Ward somewhere in the forwards rotation. Les Boyd! Could have been anything but lacked the mentality to channel his incredible power and ability. High praise for Jake T but if he keeps going as he's begun he's a Manly great in the making.

I went with Lyon + Matai, but great to see the love for Craig Innes; only with us for a couple of seasons I think but I'm with you all on what a quality player he was (only saw him make one mistake which was give away a penalty in the 96 GF when he belted Mark Coyne -- so a very justifiable mistake). He was one of those players who simply does exactly what is the best thing to do on every occasion.

I suppose the difference between this idea and the 'best' team was this one is more going to stand up against intimidating opposition and fight their corner. Which is why I preferred someone like Hopoate to the much more classy Michael O'Connor who was a sports car to Hoppa's Ute.

4 years ago, Choc Watmough and G Stewart would have been walk up starts

funny how our minds work!
no-one offered brett stewart either!
there was a lot of discussion previously as to who was manly's best 17 & snake v wombat had a fair bit of discussion for fullback.
i hope all the crap that has been going on the last year or two hasn't made people forget the brilliance of snake when at his best.
for me to pick a team id be stuck as to who kicks goals-
do i put snoz in there if i had snake to 1,or pick ridge, or wombat
god help me when i got to the halves!

Eadie
Brett Stewart
Lyon
Fulton
Irvine
O'Connell or Cliff Lyons
Toovey
Reilly
Randall
Menzies
Bull
Krillich
O'Neill

res
Hasler
Watmough
Kennedy
Kevin Ward.

Snake
Wolfy,
Snoz,
Lyon,
Robbo
Cliffy,
Tooves,
BK,
Beaver,
Gifty,
Ian Roberts,
Ballin,
Ward

Bench: Ian Martin, Terry Randall, Brent Kite, Phil Blake.

And yes I'm old enough to have had seen Mooney, Alan Thompson, Krilich, Gartner and the likes play and they were some of my favourites along with Choc, Kosef and Des in the modern era but I couldn't find a spot for them unfortunately.
Fancy leaving out Kite, Tezza, Ridge and Innes etc too.

Our side from 2008- 2012 - I just had the feeling that we could win from anywhere against anyone and that weighs heavily in their favour.

The prefice was to play for your life. These are the competitors I would choose.

Ridge
Irvine
Lyon
Matai
Fulton
Toovey
Reilly
Randall
BK
Ian Roberts
Krilich
Marty Kapow

The prefice was to play for your life. These are the competitors I would choose.

Ridge
Irvine
Lyon
Matai
Fulton
Toovey
Reilly
Randall
BK
Ian Roberts
Krilich
Marty Kapow

Very confident only picking 12 in your team.

Gotta say when it comes to going to war in the trenches, it is hard to leave Ridge out. Incredible competitor, amazing will to win and a brilliant communicator/motivator at the back. And an absolute gun goalkicker, in fact the best I've ever seen.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6