What's your opinion?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
What's your opinion on the Benji Marshall fiasco?

Do you have an issue with him playing Rugby in Japan during the off season, if the Tigers are happy for him to do so?

Im not sure. As Back door Benny said, Japan rugby is hardly direct opposition to the NRL, however I can understand where Gallop is coming from too.

I would probably let him do it. If he gets injured then the Tiges dont have to sign him, but are then left with no playmaker at the start of the season.

Not a problem let make some more cash in Rugby. He wont have to tackle and hurt his shoulder again.
Funny how Timana Tahu said he should play locally. Dont think Benji would make it in the super14s because he would need to tackle. Then again Tesesa Lavea is playing 5/8 for the Auckland Blues.

Man i cant wait for the Footy to start so i dont have to watch the Super 14s. Bring on the Rugby League now.

My view is that once again Gallop has overreached himself.  The guys just a clown.  So what if Marshall goes to Japan to play rugby.  If the Tiggers are happy and they wear the consequences, then it's their problem.  Gallop should stick to throwing cash at Cronulla.  That's about all he knows.   

I have no problem with Benji trying to earn extra dollars for a stint in yawnion if it means the tigers have to pay him less wouldn't that be good, I really think the NRL should be looking at players being able to earn as much as they can thru 3rd party  agreements it could lead to players being more loyal
Gallop is proving he is the worst ceo in NRL

If we let all players get whatever 3rd party deal they can, then we may as well get rid of the salary cap altogether, and from that watch the Roosters and Broncos win every year.

I am surprised the Tigers aren't the ones against this situation. Players need a rest and a break from the wear and the tear. I can't see why the NRL need to get involved though. None of their business.

He is one tackle away from ending his career in the NRL so why not let him earn as much money as he can while he can

He is off contract at the end of this year anyway and Gallop or the tiggers can't do anything to stop him then.

It is hard to see how Benji playing in a Japanese comp no-one here has the remotest interest in has any effect on the NRL. However it would form part of 3rd party payments and is a new attempted loophole of the salary cap.

"I don't see that (rugby union poaching players) as a need for change," Gallop said while in Melbourne to address Storm players and officials on Wednesday.

Unfortunately for Gallop it will eventually force a change and he is sticking his head in the sand if he thinks it won't. Whether we can afford to make the change is another question.

tookey link said:
He is one tackle away from ending his career in the NRL so why not let him earn as much money as he can while he can

He is off contract at the end of this year anyway and Gallop or the tiggers can't do anything to stop him then.

No but they can stop his registration in the NRL when he attempts to return.

clontaago link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=179207.msg207519#msg207519 date=1235019992]

No but they can stop his registration in the NRL when he attempts to return.
[/quote]

He will just go back to Japan or France or New Zealand to play rugby.   

What is it with Gallop?  Interfering ****.  If a club makes an arrangement with their player that doesn't infringe on others why bother getting involved.  He should play an expansive game and welcome the ability of players to make some money elsewhere.  Consider rugby the third party.  Marshall should be able to ply his trade wherever, if he's off contract or if the club allows.   

I wouldn't be happy but I wouldn't stop him.  Jeezus he might get hit by a bus next week, am I going to drive the guy around?  No.  If he wants to go and make half a mill for two months work, good on him.  Gallop  would rather have these youngsters sit on the beach for a couple of months and then run around ovals to get fit.  Why not go and eat sushi for those two months, run around over there and keep fit?  Japanese rugby is played by pussies, so no-one gets hurt.   

Gallop doesn't give a toss if he gets injured.

Its the fact he's promoting a different code and if it does happen it may open the floodgates for others to do the same.

So why didn't Gallop refuse to register Mat Rogers, Wendall Sailor and Brad Thorn when they came back from rugby ?

Imagine if this clown was a Manly player.  We'd be livid.  Barely plays for us but can risk his weedy little body chasing Yen.

I don't care if he plays over there and hope he gets injured because he is a media favourite and thoroughly over rated anyway.

But if it was a Manly player in a similar situation I'd be irate.

The way the Japanese economy is going that well is going to dry up soon anyway.

Chip & Chase link said:
So why didn't Gallop refuse to register Mat Rogers, Wendall Sailor and Brad Thorn when they came back from rugby ?

Different situations mate. They left the game completely and then returned. Marshall is trying to have the best of both worlds.

I'm with Gallop, he either stays or he goes.

No different. They were off contract, decided they wanted to play rugby, went and played rugby and then came back to league. No different to Marshall's situation, just that Benji wants to shorten the time frame down to about 6 months.

I can't believe Gallop is trying to dictate terms to a player who is off contract and a free agent. What if Benji wanted to play basketball, would that be OK ?? What if Mundine wants to return from boxing, is that OK ??

Gallop has lost the plot on this one.

Gallop has lost the plot on most issues.  He's a lawyer, and not a very good one.  'In house', couldn't make it out in the big world.  His mandatory excuse of all things is to look to 2012 for a TV rights upgrade.  Total wanker.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6