What's needed to get us to the next level??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Look I know there's another thread about us improving in 2022 but I'm keen to see everyone's views on how and what we need to do to take that next step up to being genuine contenders.

Is it some better players in some positions???

Is it, we'll learn from this year and be better for it in 2022??

Is it, a coaching issue, you know Des being Des???

Is it, purely an attitude thing from the players???

Or something else not mentioned.

There's no doubt we will improve ,if we are at 80% and we improve 10% we get to 88%, but do we need 95% to be a contender and 99% to be Premiers.

Let me know your thoughts.

More depth in the spine and backs. Forwards look good (apart from more depth needed at hooker).

Player wise I think we are pretty close ,if we get Fainu back and someone as back-up fullback,we have some good depth to cover injuries , I think it's more players being able to grind out a win , no mistakes pressure football which comes to the attitude and mental toughness
Is that a coaching thing di you reckon ??

Or lack of an field leader ??

Player wise I think we are pretty close ,if we get Fainu back and someone as back-up fullback,we have some good depth to cover injuries , I think it's more players being able to grind out a win , no mistakes pressure football which comes to the attitude and mental toughness
I agree (that playerwise we are pretty close) - you could see the fatigue in our young blokes towards the end of the season (Schuster, Olakau'atu, Harper) & I think they'll be better for their first full season in NRL.

The addition of Bullemor will provide backrow rotation if/when Schu & Ola need a spell which will do wonders for their longevity in 2022.

Hard nosed leader of the pack, roster looks pretty good, but in those big games we lacked a leader with intensity to show the way for the young guys to follow, no doubt dummy half and centre bit of a concern if we're going to reach the top.

Look I know there's another thread about us improving in 2022 but I'm keen to see everyone's views on how and what we need to do to take that next step up to being genuine contenders.

There's no doubt we will improve ,if we are at 80% and we improve 10% we get to 88%, but do we need 95% to be a contender and 99% to be Premiers.

They say you are only as good as your last game

Well , This is how good were in our last two games against quality teams .

We were king hit and knocked out of finals contention in two straight sets of benchmark finals footy

It was evident we rely too much on Tom , When Tom is shut down , Manly is shut down.

Rebuilding from last seasons finals fiasco requires the addition of new blood in the team and also requires blood transfusion to the current players to step up a gear

Which players are capable of stepping up a gear ???

The fact is....
There is so much juice that you can squeeze out of an orange
As Every player peaks on their performance potential ie , speed , skill , and power game

Just a few examples Examples ...
How much more muscle can our high prized aging forward Marty add to our pack?
Has Marty peaked ? I think so

How much more flair can the aging Foz add to our back line ?
Has Foz peaked? I think so

How much more creativity can Croker add to our spine?
Has Croker peaked ? I think so

How much more potency in attack can our centres Harper and Parker provide to add points when Tom is shut down ?
Has Harper peaked ? No
Has Parker peaked ? I think so

How Great were we in 2021 ?
We were only as Great as the Great teams that we conquered

Last edited:
Injury free is number 1....as the team were "strangers" going into 2021 and will be far better for the Experience....so keeping a healthy 17 - 20 players season long is key.

2nd is mongrel and toughness in the middle, those crunch games need the big bodies to show far more agression (controlled) and Win more collisions - both with and without the ball.
Almost played like gentlemen in the big games and it's the ugly gritty stuff that can break down those more structured, quality sides looking for a conventional contest....we have the X factor and strike to create opportunities, but in 2021 lacked the bustle allowing the opposition to play their Natural game.

The 3rd in order is tough, but is the dummy half situation, however I still firmly believe if he forwards can step up in those "Top 4" battles and "Finals time games"...even without a "Flashy" dummy half, but can offer swift sharp service from dummy half on the back of momentum will still create many chances from anywhere.

At 4 I go with the youngsters last season stepping up again and maybe a couple of youngsters currently training with the NRL squad will creat a competitive squad where you don't jus "get" a Manly jersey each week - you "earn" it, or someone else hungrier may take it and not give it back...and will throw in the Bull as a major X factor, definately improves the squad and will be in the 17..

Just on Parker and Harper - simple for mine - step up or step aside - there are some hungry flyers who have bulked up for 2022 and may only need 1 opportunity to steal a permanent spot. ....

2nd is mongrel and toughness in the middle, those crunch games need the big bodies to show far more agression (controlled) and Win more collisions - both with and without the ball.
Almost played like gentlemen in the big games
Our Pack Played finals footy like Gentleman indeed

The moral of the story....
Nice guys finish last

A bit more experience for the younger guys and the resilience that should come with it.

For the most part, we were great with the ball last season. But we still had games when we kept coughing up possession and shooting ourselves in the foot. That **** has to stop.

Defensively, we still need a bit more grit. There were times when we gave up points far too easily.

But mostly it's learning how to win when things aren't going your way. There were times last year when we played some incredibly attractive footy and looked unbeatable, but when it really counted we got off to awful starts and lacked the ability to scrap our way out of the hole.

The ability to change momentum.

It's not spoken about enough under vlandysball but momentum is King and it's harder than ever to turn it around.
If we can learn / play players who can, turn momentum than we are sweet

Keppie, Turbo, DCE all could. Probably need a nine and/or 14 who can play what's in front more.

Less reliance on turbo. We won’t win big end of season games if we just throw it to turbo.

and start hunting as a pack in defence and hurting teams legally like we use to do in the golden era just gone.

also we need a much better home record .. make Brookvale oval a place teams hate to come and play at again.

I understand that the CoE will have lifts installed.

That will provide an easier path to the next level.

2022 is a real solid building year.

Now if Garrick and Saab hadn’t been in the top 5 try scorers of the year, I’d completely agree that we need new centres however, if both are going to score over 20 tries in a season, why do we need new centres?

Defence wins matches and Parker and Harper are that. Sure, they had some lapses at the end of the season but so did many players from all sides who were carrying niggling injuries.

I think we’ll improve next year however, 2023 will be when we win the premiership and probably 2025 as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4