Whats at the heart of the problem?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Without naming names directly I'm sitting here wondering why controversy seems to follow particular clubs and how we can change the attitude some seem to bring?

We have been through the ringer lately but why? Is it that we need to pick up players that other clubs discard? We seem to have a pretty good core of players that keep out of trouble. DCE the Turbos and Marty look to be solid as rockets both on the park and in private. Do we need more leaders or just a different recruitment path?

We have a player in bags of trouble now just as we did last off season. We recruit a centre with a checkered history. We have more than one player that have been charged with DV in the past.

Looking back at social media I remember thinking 6 months ago that one of our boys looked a complete gangster want a be with most of his photos having the hand signs and look what's happened now.

Do we need to just cut the cord on that path of recruitment? Shame because the talent is undeniable but the baggage is more than it's worth...

It would have been easy to bag AFB with off field antics early in his career, but he is living proof that it’s not a Manly thing and also an individual has the ability to turn their life around.
The bloke in question at the moment is mentioned as mixing with the wrong crowd, but has a family with good values, just so sad IF the result is a bad 1, as this kid imo was every bit as valuable as any player we have in coming years.
That aside....love my footy, but it’s just a game and the way ppl choose to live their life and effect others comes first....it’s not a Manly, NRL or sporting thing, more about individuals in today’s society thrown into unfortunate situations and sadly, instead of avoiding red flags, choosing violence to try solve the Situation which will often end badly.

Good players can basically do what they like, all's forgiven if you can play!
Exactly if he was an average player the club would have dumped him with the "sex tape" but because he could play we let it slide and now look at this.
Is he just unlucky? maybe he us but if he is found not guilty the club needs to sit him (and others) down and read the riot act to them.

Yes they are on a break but they are still representing us and we should be demanding better than what we have seen these last couple of off seasons.

When we have a team leader and an old man (in football years) getting pissed and severely injuring himself what examples are being set?

Generational and cultural fun and games. Sadly some just don't like to listen to advice and think they are invincible. From what I understand this youngster got a good talking to and more than enough support / offers to assist from the leadership group / teammates after the last indiscretion, much of the advice I'm told was to change the circles in which you walk as it won't end well, but has seemingly ignored that and continued down the wrong path. You can only do so much I guess and there is no endless supply of second chances. Whatever the end result, it doesn't look good, you surely can't blame lack of education these days as the players have it drilled in day after day, even more so after the past 12 months of off field issues. It would be a big waste if he has let down those who offered their support.

Let's see what happens.
The Brett Stewart situation taught me that.
Cops were way to keen to charge and looked like idiots but at a major cost to an innocent man who happens to be a Manly legend.
Bloody painful to watch that was let alone what Brett and his family were feeling.
I'll give it some time.
Whatever though, it's going to cost us.

I'm surprised @Woodsie has yet to say something like...

"Doesn't everyone say again and again that time under supercoach Des sorts even the worst player out?"

I'm mean I wouldn't say that, but woodsie might.

I dunno. I won a muffin at McDonalds so I'm going to eat that.

edit: speaking of McDonalds, here's an article about a Burger King dressing up as McDonalds for Halloween!

Without naming names directly I'm sitting here wondering why controversy seems to follow particular clubs and how we can change the attitude some seem to bring?

We have been through the ringer lately but why? Is it that we need to pick up players that other clubs discard? We seem to have a pretty good core of players that keep out of trouble. DCE the Turbos and Marty look to be solid as rockets both on the park and in private. Do we need more leaders or just a different recruitment path?

We have a player in bags of trouble now just as we did last off season. We recruit a centre with a checkered history. We have more than one player that have been charged with DV in the past.

Looking back at social media I remember thinking 6 months ago that one of our boys looked a complete gangster want a be with most of his photos having the hand signs and look what's happened now.

Do we need to just cut the cord on that path of recruitment? Shame because the talent is undeniable but the baggage is more than it's worth...

NEWSFLASH ..... that centre last year was found NOT GUILTY and the bloke this year is claiming innocense .... until the case has been proven either way .... aren't we being a bit hysterical about the club being a disaster zone ....

... and reality check ... I am not certain of the statistical facts .... however I would suggest that if you took a cross section of any 30 testosterone enhanced Alpha males between the ages of 20 and 30 in any walk of life ... you would find your fair share of miscreants and nere-do-wells .... in a violent macho sport like Rugby League ... it is a solid lock guarantee .....

... and as @globaleagle hinted .... it doesn't make any difference who the coach is .... you can take all precautions ... recruit wisely ... but in the end .... dumb is as dumb does .....

All that can ever be done is to make the guilty take the consequences of their actions ...... that is of course ... after their day in court ....

The time in jail whilst awaiting a reapplication for bail may scare some common sense into him :nod:
The reality of living with gang members is not what is potrayed in hip-hop music :eek:

NEWSFLASH ..... that centre last year was found NOT GUILTY and the bloke this year is claiming innocense .... until the case has been proven either way .... aren't we being a bit hysterical about the club being a disaster zone ....

... and reality check ... I am not certain of the statistical facts .... however I would suggest that if you took a cross section of any 30 testosterone enhanced Alpha males between the ages of 20 and 30 in any walk of life ... you would find your fair share of miscreants and nere-do-wells .... in a violent macho sport like Rugby League ... it is a solid lock guarantee .....

... and as @globaleagle hinted .... it doesn't make any difference who the coach is .... you can take all precautions ... recruit wisely ... but in the end .... dumb is as dumb does .....

All that can ever be done is to make the guilty take the consequences of their actions ...... that is of course ... after their day in court ....
This post is so true.
The Police, the Tax Office and other authorities love nailing high-profile people, and the coverage is always greater than the alleged crime warrants.
If anyone remembers how the Taxation Department hounded Paul Hogan for 10 years just to set an example. Hogan was never proven to have done anything unlawful.

Definitely a social issue and hardly confined to any sport based organization or community group in particular and primarily still surely comes down to individual responsibility and peer and associated influences . Just in relation to the N R L scene , 16 clubs , 30 main squad registered players plus development players , say over 500 young men and while not being unduly negative but to expect unblemished behavior from every individual player . The law [ pardon the pun ] of averages dictates just not possible .

This post is so true.
The Police, the Tax Office and other authorities love nailing high-profile people, and the coverage is always greater than the alleged crime warrants.
If anyone remembers how the Taxation Department hounded Paul Hogan for 10 years just to set an example. Hogan was never proven to have done anything unlawful.
Should have invited them all around to put another shrimp on the Barbie and then mention " don"t come the raw prawn with me "

Should have invited them all around to put another shrimp on the Barbie and then mention " don"t come the raw prawn with me "
I actually know Hoges and Cornell's accountant who has told me of 10 years of "hell". His house was raided by the AFP and they were treated like criminals. The stress caused my friend to have a heart attack and a triple bypass. He is still scared by the event, so I image it had similar effect on Hoges and Cornell.
It was all about the Tax Department trying to show that no-one was above the law, even though as I understand Hoges and Cornell did nothing more to minimise tax than all smart businesspeople do.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6