What this means for our club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Today's verdict is huge for this club.

Immediately, of course, there is the great emotional relief. The lifting of the creeping tension, the sheer stress that must have weighed heavily on Brett, his family and all those close to him. There's some anger as well, but I don't expect we'll focus on that too long.

Beyond that there is also the lifting of the smear. That particular shadow simply cannot be overstated. It was felt all the way to the top of the NRL, but Brett and his family – and the Manly club – have borne the brunt of it.

The details of Brett's character given in evidence in court have been nothing short of outstanding. It would be no surprise if before too long he was restored to a position of great respect within the wider community. This of course is not always the case for accused persons.  Even when charges are not proved, suspicions sometimes linger. This won't occur in the case of Brett Stewart. It may sound bizarre to suggest, but he may even come out of this shocking ordeal with an enhanced reputation.

So we will get our attacking spearhead back. Not only this, but the bonds between our players, who have stood fast together while this marathon played out, will count for plenty when they all run out next year, together with Brett in the Number 1 jersey.

Aside from his mates in the team, the club itself never wavered in support of Brett, and massive credit to the club for that stand. Led by Des, who was literally with Brett at every step, the club defiantly continued to select him in the face of considerable outside pressure. This stance was quite clearly never simply a selfish desire to get their star player on the field. The allegations were serious, and it was apparent the club really did have full faith in this young man. A faith finally vindicated by the resounding 'not guilty' so swiftly delivered by the panel of citizens commissioned to decide the facts.

What this now means is that the entire club can go into this next off-season on something of an emotional high. A very tough time has been endured – together – and survived. The mood will be buoyant, and forward looking. Better times are coming. From the outside too, we suddenly look better. Our appeal to potential sponsors is no longer clouded. Our brand is intact.

As a fan of the team, and the club, and a fan of Brett, I am highly impressed with how he and all of us have come through this. I have only met the man twice, and was certainly impressed both times.  I'm also impressed with Silvertails, and the manner in which our on-line community has developed. Thanks to the well-conceived strategy of Dan and his moderators, and the sterling efforts of our star court reporter, we've been able to follow this event in an extremely close and quite unique way, and in my view we've come through stronger than ever.  Now bring on 2011!

You have excelled yourself Lachie....but many of us have been driven to great words today, it's a day to remember for a long long time and I agree with you 110%...it has the potential to kick start our 2011 season like nothing else.....brothers in arms....onward we march!

Top post SER8 and a lot of merit in what you say.

There will of course be the usual "Knobs" at away grounds giving it to him and us but in general the highlighting of Brett's involvement in the wider community will stand him in good stead and as you say may elevate his status in the NRL and wider community.

I'm already thinking about the hysteria that we'll see at Brookie for the first home game that he takes the field....

No winners in these matters of course but absolutely stoked with the verdict

I wonder when the first home game will be... probably a monday night 4 weeks into the season...

I'll be there and i remember a certain chant last year during a game vs w@nktigers that i can't wait to scream out again

Wonderful words SER8 indeed it has been a day to bond us all and hopefully push the entire club to achieve greater goals next year and beyond. The last couple of weeks on Silvertails has shown we are a passionate and committed bunch of supporters whose love of this club is bonded by the knowledge that we are unique.
We all know that the rugby league public supports 2 teams, theirs and any team that plays against us. The complete and utter lack of support or committment from the NRL to try and help us establish a decent stadium to compete for the corporate dollar. Their obvious desire to see us disappear so they can have their Central Coast team. The appalling displays by sections of the media in the early reporting of this episode and the subsequent vindication in our belief that Brett is a good and descent human being have created an unbreakable bond with this club. The stoic support by the club for Brett has made my love for this club stronger than it ever has been.
I grew up going to Manly games from the early 70's and although I no longer live in Sydney I support them with a passion that has and never will diminish. This is the dawn of a new beginning for this great club. A chance now for us all to push this club to heights greater than 2008 or 1978 or 1972. Watch this club in 2011 and beyond it is going to be great to be a part of it I cannot wait.

Well put SER8.  The way Brett has handled himself only raises his stature in my eyes. And the future trend looks rosy. A new sponsor would be the icing on the cake for a fantastic week.

The professionalism of Dan and his team has indeed been truly outstanding.  The clear boundaries drawn, the tight rein held, yet the common sense that valued and actively, flexibly and promptly responded to the desires and curiosity of the readers.  

And the in-depth reporting from our intrepid Clark Kent exposed how much wool is effectively pulled over the public's eyes by the superficial reporting we get fed in today's rags. Best behind the scenes reporting I've read for years.  Felt like I was there in the room and eagerly waited every report, Thanks DSM.  If Silvertails could replicate this, perhaps with interviews with players and the like then, appropriately, the sky may be the limit for this high-flying Sea-Eagle site.

A few days on and plenty has happened. Significantly, Brett has spoken publicly for the first time.

I am now even more convinced that this event has a huge significance for the Manly Sea Eagles. The modern incarnation of our famous club has of course been focussed on the multi-million dollar business of running a competitive team in the professional era of NRL. We're a strange hybrid entity - part private business, part club. We are still evolving in terms of the balance, but the wider body of fans have been kept at varying distances from the core organisation, to the frustration of some. The Brett Stewart saga has become a rallying point for all Sea Eagles stakeholders. Most significantly, it is a rallying point that has got almost nothing to do with football.

What it has to do with is an enhanced appreciation and pride in the quality of individual we have at the Sea Eagles, now that the full truth has finally been able to be told. For many of us this final chapter has been an emotional rollercoaster.  After seeing on TV what this has done to Brett, I felt as if a family member had been cruelly wronged.

Realising this, it occurred to me that this new modern hybrid business we call the Manly Sea Eagles really is a family, or at the very least a proper club in the most personal sense. Soul is not the right word, but I am so pleased that we have people like Des, and that everyone stuck by Brett. I think all who follow or identify with the Sea Eagles will now be sticking more strongly together than ever before.

The other thing is that I expect no-one associated with our club will ever again simply believe what we hear in the media, or rush in to judge before knowing the facts.

As I said elsewhere during the course of the week that was (and it applies universally as well)....the the circumstances of this event and the last two weeks really have brought us together on this website.

There's been the "old" (not in age) stagers that have been here since day one, and the Johnny come lately's (such as myself) that have been here on and off for a few years...and then the masses that arrived after the closure of MWSE forum.

For a while it was "them" and "us"....why even the "unwashed herd" name (although being funny and no one would really take it seriously) had a connotation of the them and us mentality.

But this week we are one.....brothers in arms together...fighting against a sea of disbelievers to right the wrongs of the past.

And doesn't it feel great!

This morning I got a text from a MWTS member who wants us (the MWTS group) to do something nice for Barry and Narelle...and by that I mean throw in money and send them somewhere nice for a long weekend where they can escape the limelight and get back to just being Mr & Mrs Stewart.

Fair dinkum if that doesn't bring a tear to your eye nothing will.

I am just so damned proud to be a part of the MWTS "family" and the Manly family at large.

What great people

What great fans

What a magnificent club

Mark from Brisbane link said:
As I said elsewhere during the course of the week that was (and it applies universally as well)....the the circumstances of this event and the last two weeks really have brought us together on this website.

There's been the \"old\" (not in age) stagers that have been here since day one, and the Johnny come lately's (such as myself) that have been here on and off for a few years...and then the masses that arrived after the closure of MWSE forum.

For a while it was \"them\" and \"us\"....why even the \"unwashed herd\" name (although being funny and no one would really take it seriously) had a connotation of the them and us mentality.

But this week we are one.....brothers in arms together...fighting against a sea of disbelievers to right the wrongs of the past.

And doesn't it feel great!

This morning I got a text from a MWTS member who wants us (the MWTS group) to do something nice for Barry and Narelle...and by that I mean throw in money and send them somewhere nice for a long weekend where they can escape the limelight and get back to just being Mr & Mrs Stewart.

Fair dinkum if that doesn't bring a tear to your eye nothing will.

I am just so damned proud to be a part of the MWTS \"family\" and the Manly family at large.

What great people

What great fans

What a magnificent club

Good stuff Mark but one slight error....."brothers AND sisters in arms"
nicci and wendy'll rip yer bloody arm off for that oversight ;-)

Yes correct...although more the saying than anything.

We are one, and we are many, and from all the lands on earth we come, we share a dream, and sing in one voice.

Manly (clap clap clap) Manly

Mark from Brisbane link said:
We are one, and we are many, and from all the lands on earth we come, we share a dream, and sing in one

I hate
You hate
We all hate Victorians

May as well finish the song properly.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7