What positions do we need to Strengthen?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevo

First Grader
I think its clear we need another old head in the front row. If the starting props are Kapow and AFB and Paseka comes off the bench i don't think he has the ability or temperament to carry on the game by himself. Paseka really should be #4 prop IMO. Some one with a hard head and experience should be #3. As much as i like Keppie i can't see us winning anything with he and Paseka playing the middle half of the game together. It's just not enough firepower,

And i think we are 1 player away in the backline. To me Alex Johnson would be perfect. Someone to cover at fullback since Tom only likes to play half a season. I know people think Parker is a great centre but the truth is that ihe is a great defensive centre. He really doesn't offer much in attack. I guess the other option is to buy a 5/8 and move Walker back to centre which is my prefered option. I know everyone thinks he is an awesome 5/8 but in my opinion he will never be as good a 5/8 as he is a centre.

Thoughts?

A rip, tear, bust middle forward like Lolo, Murray, Brown, Radley. The Scum would never let him go but someone like Brandon Smith. Play them at lock and put Jake back into prop rotation. Need that player that smashes out the metres, runs hard, finds their front and has a quick play the ball. Someone to get our sets rolling

Also it'd be nice to have a strike weapon in the outside backs beside Turbo.

Not sure that any positions need any particular strengthening at all actually , still seems to be a bit of uncertainty over Elliot"s future at Manly but that could revolve over a couple of factors . Trying to retain young Hoppa , maybe Brendan wants to venture to the Super League for some different life experience Certainly would not anticipate it in the forwards , apart from the present squad [ i st grade members ] there is Schuster , Saddler and Sonia Fauni . Cust has been retained , another promising back in Weekes . Not sure about Metcalfe and Miski Could surprise but again really would not expect Manly to be active in the open market leading into next season .

Based on Saturday’s game I would have Tent start and bring Marty on from the bench as our impact player.

Keppie is a good one, if your thinking of another prop who brings another dimension to Marty, AFB and Paseka it would be Saddler, plenty of agro in this fella.

Alex Johnstone is good player, we have Albert in the squad, could be anything Albert, some good judges are saying a once in a generation type player, we are blessed to have him and Schuster who is also held in that regard.

Hopefully we can retain our junior talent before shopping elsewhere.

Yeah i like keppie and i think he will be great but i just dont think him paired with Paseka is good enough. And Des seems to view Paseka as a #3.

Props are the least of our worries. Des just won't select them. We have AFB, Taupau, Keppie, Boyle, Sipley and Saddler. That would be as strong as any prop depth in the competition. Plus Jake can play prop at a pinch and even Olokoatu could play middle. Schuster maybe lock.
I'd be chasing a 5/8 and Walker to centre OR keep Walker at 5/8 and chase Alex Johnson or Saab.
Fainu is our biggest missing asset and will be like a new buy next year

Yeah i like keppie and i think he will be great but i just dont think him paired with Paseka is good enough. And Des seems to view Paseka as a #3.
Plenty of upside in Tent, he has been a little bit slow adjusting to the speed of first grade and coming off some niggling injuries. A few people have a big opinion on Tent.

We are in an interesting space at the moment as a lot depends on how we see Schuster, Hoppa (with possible Morman mission), Haumole and S Fainu developing.

Thats why I'd I would like to see them get a bit more game time this year because they really effect our recruitment.

Sign nobody and count on them and they bust and we are a bit short. Commit to big signings and they burst through and we lose them or have to release players.

Personally I'd hold fire on bigger name signing for a season, and see how they come on. Then reasses for 2021.

Thats not to say the squad couldnt do with some tweaks.

Hooker - Having one hooker in the squad is no good so whatever happens I'd chase TOM STARLING from the Raiders. The kid is very highly rated and looked sharp so far. If Fainu is cleared they compete. If Fainu goes down keep Levi as backup.

Wing - I believe Elliott will go and I'd replace him with JASON SAAB. High upside and gives us an ariel threat.

2nd Row - With Thompson leaving we need another body here despite the fact I have high hopes for Haumole. I'd look at either ISIAH PAPALI'I from the Warriors or KEEGAN HIPGRAVE from the Titans. Both are rough diamonds who are prone to the odd dip in performance but I think Des could really polish them.

Props are fine. People are talking about Paseka and Keppie like they are both the finished article. They will both improve.

Halves I think with D Walker, Cust and Schuster we are okay. Croker is signed so can stay but if he gets an opportunity elsewhere we could look at someone like Mason Lino.

One thing I would suggest but not sure if he is off contract, sniff around SAM WALKER at the Roosters as a long term halves option. If they are committed to Keary and Flanagan he could be a real coup.

SBW although pretty sure the chooks have plenty of space in their cap

I agree i he would be handy but no way would come to us. Lol they'll let a fringe 1st grade player go and absorb SBW comfortably with room for additional players haha

Personally think at Full strength, with the addition of Fainu, could beat anyone, including Roosters....so essentially if worst case scenario, Fainu does not get back at 9...a quality hooker would be my take, as in the modern game the service and asking questions in the middle is essential.
There are at least 2 players in Schu and Hoppa, who WILL be in the team next season and add even more firepower given time....our backs will be fine.
There is speculation about Walker and if he was to go I would throw the money straight at Burton from Penrith.
So in a nutshell the strenghthen would be -
9 - Fainu is ideal ...if not ??
6 - Walker - we do have Schuster, but in a perfect world add Burton and have Schuster at lock as Jake can handle anywhere in the pack with aplomb....this would give us great zest with Schuster both creating and dynamic in his own running game.
Would have mentioned wingers, but very, very confident in the ability of both Funa and the yet to be unleashed Hoppa - (if he is still at Manly).
Happy enough with the props as AFB and Marty are the number 1 combination, I like Keppie and Paseka is improving...add Akalou'Atu of the bench and the pack starts to look Super imo.....
Looking at the future, I believe most of what we need is already in our own backyard with the 9 and 6 the debatable positions.

Last edited:
I think its clear we need another old head in the front row. If the starting props are Kapow and AFB and Paseka comes off the bench i don't think he has the ability or temperament to carry on the game by himself. Paseka really should be #4 prop IMO. Some one with a hard head and experience should be #3. As much as i like Keppie i can't see us winning anything with he and Paseka playing the middle half of the game together. It's just not enough firepower,

And i think we are 1 player away in the backline. To me Alex Johnson would be perfect. Someone to cover at fullback since Tom only likes to play half a season. I know people think Parker is a great centre but the truth is that ihe is a great defensive centre. He really doesn't offer much in attack. I guess the other option is to buy a 5/8 and move Walker back to centre which is my prefered option. I know everyone thinks he is an awesome 5/8 but in my opinion he will never be as good a 5/8 as he is a centre.

Thoughts?

Surprises me that I’m saying this, but I think Parker is actually a bit under rated in attack as well. Sure he doesn’t have the footwork to create for himself, but he runs a very good line putting himself into half holes that he has the size to push through, that was more evident playing outside Walker. And there was a try, may have been against the sharks, where a long ball was coming to him and he changed direction while the ball was in the air to get inside his defender then threw a nice pass to put the winger away

If we look at strengthening I would be looking at Alex Johnson, quality winger, very good full back and very quick. If Fainu is banned permanently in the game we need a hooker with a kicking game and running game ASAP. I would also like to see a goal kicker with an 80 percent success record.

Surprises me that I’m saying this, but I think Parker is actually a bit under rated in attack as well. Sure he doesn’t have the footwork to create for himself, but he runs a very good line putting himself into half holes that he has the size to push through, that was more evident playing outside Walker. And there was a try, may have been against the sharks, where a long ball was coming to him and he changed direction while the ball was in the air to get inside his defender then threw a nice pass to put the winger away
Yeah i reckon he runs a really good outside and in line but its more like a crash ball close to the line. Pehaps we were too spoiled with Matai and Lyon. But i'd be much more confident if we could create trys from our own half again.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6