The Take on Jake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jakes body language of late has not looked good. He is a passionate player and he loves to club. I feel he might be dealing with that shoulder of his as he really is not even close to the level of the last few years.

I think the new rules have also been a big issue for him as his ability to slow the play the ball is being punished by zealot referees, he seems to be targeted by them.

I think an off season to totally recover and some adjustments in how he is being used. I would like to see him in the 2nd row and be an occasional ball player. He is being used as a battering ram and I dont think it suits his game.

I agree that hes missing Tommy, they have a great chemistry on the field and work well in tandem.

Jakes body language of late has not looked good. He is a passionate player and he loves to club. I feel he might be dealing with that shoulder of his as he really is not even close to the level of the last few years.

I think the new rules have also been a big issue for him as his ability to slow the play the ball is being punished by zealot referees, he seems to be targeted by them.

I think an off season to totally recover and some adjustments in how he is being used. I would like to see him in the 2nd row and be an occasional ball player. He is being used as a battering ram and I dont think it suits his game.

I agree that hes missing Tommy, they have a great chemistry on the field and work well in tandem.
Definitely not the footballer that destroyed Queensland in origin last season.

Jake is a proud club man and could be the captain of this club, needs to work on his discipline as it is hurting his team.

Needs to return to prop and get his playing minutes down.

To me with Jake it's just the defence is not buying that he's going to attack the line and hurt them so when he ' ball plays ' the defence is already sliding off him and onto his support runners. He's not fooling anyone anymore. He needs to get some speed back in his legs and either threaten the line with more punch or with offloads cause opposition have worked out he's more of a ball distributor than a dangerous runner.

The comparisons to Aiden Tolman are way too harsh and Jake is still trying hard I've got no knocks on him. But I see a lot of comparison to the role James Graham was asked to play at the Bulldogs. Teams soon work out who is just a ball player and who is a real running threat and adjust accordingly.

Our team has been worked out by opposition in both attack with Jake, and out wide in defence ( jamming in and being easily outflanked ) and we need to respond with something different.

He is modelling his game on his idol, Aiden Tolman
Unfortunately I think you are spot on. Des has him playing the Tolman Graham ball playing forward. Guess what get the pigs out of the backing movements. This includes block running 2nd rowers. Open the bloody field up link both halves to both centres running straight hard lines. You know that formulae that has always worked.

He is modelling his game on his idol, Aiden Tolman
Speaking of Aiden. Massive news yesterday when Trenty announced
he will not be offered a contract extension for next year.
I think if we can find the money we have to jump on this once in a life time opportunity.
Think Nate Myles 2.0. (without the Dwarf head).

I'm not sure if you mean the refs are zealots or overzealous but either one is correct.
It's like as soon as he's made contact and put the ball carrier on the deck we hear "Jaaake...!" "six again"

It seems contradictory to me that a dominant tackle one on one has less latitude in the ruck than three tacklers that hold a player up and yet when the ref calls held they then put him on the deck without any sanction.

Jake is trying his hardest every game. I will be well and truly disgusted if he and Tom get picked in the NSW side though. They should both have a long off season so we can compete better next year. The problem is the NRL don’t care if Manly don’t make the finals- they want the popular teams in three which is obvious from the refereeing and the blatant salary cap rotting. And still can’t believe the warriors can let Green go however still get loan players and Newcastle get Green and McCullogh under there cap. Although karma seems to have presented with the 2 of them.

According to reports the playing group is split.....many pissed off that Hoppa is not getting a go & Olakau’atu dropped for Gosiewski & Waddell. Hoppa looks like he’ll go elsewhere & become a star, Olakau’atu to follow suit & probs ask for a release & Schuster more than likely to follow. To me that’s all to do with Des & his Preference to keep selecting his favourites Croker, Gosiewski, Elliott, Taufua, Levi, Garrick & Waddell to a lesser degree! I’m not the coach & I’m not privy to what goes on at training but no one is gonna tell me that the 3 youngsters are not ready or wouldn’t make a difference! With the season on the line Hasler drops Olakau’atu & has Gosiewski & Waddell ahead of him? What a crock that is for a start. Almost every other team has promoted guys the same age & most have been brilliant.....no wonder our boys wanna leave & I don’t blame them! Probs Storm by 100 next week!
If Barrett wants Gosiewski & Waddell then the club should arrange a taxi today and have them delivered to the dogs I would throw in Crocker as well for free Jorge's best days are long behind him Now The future is Guac, Hopoate and Shuster and they should be blooded now as our season is done and other teams steal them

Jake isn't as effective it attack without his brother. When the pair were together he put on several tries for Turbo with deft ball skills.
With Turbo we are a top four team.
Without him we are a bottom six team.
The 17 DESpicable selected against Souffs contained two (at best) guys with attacking skills -- DCE at Con. Most of the others are respectable players who need to be put into gaps, to be given space to move, and generally only have their bulk as an attacking option.
Last year we had Api and Blade Runner providing extra attacking spark.
We need more creativity and our only option is to try some of the players in the 'Missing Eleven'.

Jake's 6 agains frustrate me too, but this speaks for itself. I think people are being a little too harsh on him.

This is how the points are calculated btw:

"Each player's VB Hard Earned index score is calculated by doubling their total runs and adding a point for every tackle, offload, decoy, support, charge down and tackle break.

Negative plays lower the index score. One point is taken off per missed tackle, while errors and penalties cost four points. Being sin-binned results in eight points being subtracted."

Jake's 6 agains frustrate me too, but this speaks for itself. I think people are being a little too harsh on him.

This is how the points are calculated btw:

"Each player's VB Hard Earned index score is calculated by doubling their total runs and adding a point for every tackle, offload, decoy, support, charge down and tackle break.

Negative plays lower the index score. One point is taken off per missed tackle, while errors and penalties cost four points. Being sin-binned results in eight points being subtracted."
I'm not surprised because he works his butt off every week but fmd imagine how far he would be in front if it wasn't for the 6-agains coz he must have lost 40 points just on them...

2014 is a long time ago ! Des better get with the times what his trying to turn jake into is a thing of the past as is a slow moving second row style winger who rushes in its on des to reinvent himself as a coach or we as a club will keep going backwards ,shape up or ship out ...

It was a gutless performance. Those blaming Des for his poor post Covid plans are in dreamland.
Defence wins games, and that team is capable of great defence.
Something has collapsed within the playing group for sure. They were not turning up for each other, just going through the motions.
Jake just looks like he is doing his own thing. Plenty of effort, but poor attention to detail.
You only notice him now for his numerous errors.
Last year he was a freak, wrecking ball
lets draw a line on the sand shall we ....
Des does not miss tackles and run to the line

lets draw a line on the sand shall we ....
Des does not miss tackles and run to the line
Exactly!
Executing the game plan and effort lapses were the reason for the loss.
But Des IS responsible for assessing KPIs as to why, and perhaps changing something...that could come in a variety of different messages and actions to the players responsible.

Exactly!
Executing the game plan and effort lapses were the reason for the loss.
But Des IS responsible for assessing KPIs as to why, and perhaps changing something...that could come in a variety of different messages and actions to the players responsible.
We do have issues with injuries and the other issue we have is the back up players that are not performing to NRL standards . They try hard but they are not hard enough to compete affectively and consistently
The new faster NRL power game now exposes mediocre players more than ever and teams that cant keep up with the power and the pace get blown away

Okay I've had enough, I've seen for months people blowing up about Jake being over paid and how Jake is just a tackle bot and offers nothing else.

Just seen it again in another thread and I cant take it anymore.

Complete disrespect to a player who has been our best and fairest in 3 of our last 5 seasons (2019, 2018, 2015) and who is our current spiritual leader.

So lets take a look at the hysteria, it is justified or simply petulant fans trying to lash out where they can.

I jumped onto the foxsports stats lab to compare Jake to other locks in attacking stats (I assume nobody has issues with defense)

So here we go

TRY ASSISTS = equal 2nd
1. Murray - 4
2.TRBOJEVIC - 3
2. Peachey - 3
3. Elliott - 2
3. Glasby - 2

TRY CONTRIBUTIONS = equal 3rd
1. Fisher-Harris - 3
1. Brown - 3
3. TRBOJEVIC - 2
3. Carrigan - 2
3. Yeo - 2

TRIES = equal 4th
1. Faasuamaleaui - 5
1. Faitala-Mariner - 5
3. Asofa-Solomona - 3
4. TRBOJEVIC - 2
4. Murray - 2

TOTAL TRY INVOLVEMENTS = 1st
1. TRBOJEVIC - 7
2. Murray - 6
3. Yeo - 5
3. Faitala-Mariner - 5
3. Faasuamaleaui - 5

LINE BREAKS = equal 6th
1. Yeo - 6
2. Faasuamaleaui - 5
2. Faitala-mariner - 5
2. Peachey - 5
5. Taumalolo - 4
6. TRBOJEVIC - 3

LINE BREAK ASSISTS = equal 2nd
1. Murray - 6
2. TRBOJEVIC - 4
2. Finucane - 4
4. McInnes - 3
4. Harris - 3

Tackle busts he is obviously well down the chart but that is not the role we are playing him.

PENALTIES CONCEDED
Jake has conceded 6 which is equal 33rd worst forward with 13 other players so 46 forwards have conceded 6 or more.

Jake is one of the best forwards in the game and we are lucky to have him....it blows my mind that people don't see that

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2