What does this mean for Brookie?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Peter C

Bencher
Here's a interesting article by Roy Masters.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/onetime-foes-united-on-plan-for-two-stadiums-to-cover-all-codes-20120410-1wn4f.html[/url]

I think that other than a minority of short sighted fans that refuse to see past their noses, that deep down, most of the reasonable minded Manly fans already know that Brookvale oval is not a long term solution that will enable the Sea Eagles to prosper.
That's not to say we shouldn't enjoy playing at Brookie while we can but it can't be doing the Sea Eagles brand much good in corporate world playing out of a dilapidated stadium held together by band aids and electrical tape.

As the best team in the comp, Manly deserve better than playing out of the worst ground in the league.

But would we be the best team in the comp if we didn't have brookie as a home ground? Catch 22.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
When Abbott wins the next election we have $20 mill coming our way apparently

Berk please tell me you are not believing politicians promises.

Stick with Santa at least he delivers once a year.

Surely Sydney is big enough to warrant one decent stadium on the north side? Multi-use. Lack of a train line might be the main problem.

I believe there is merit to this, especially if marketed correctly. Throw in some more double headers and you will get more people to the game.

We are already seeing a move away from all home games at Brookvale - and if it keeps the club finsncially stable then I'm supportive.

I don't think Brookvalr should be completely abandoned to become a frisbee park, we have seen the impact of having select home games at Leichard, full houses, happy faces and $ rolling in

WAMF said:
I think that other than a minority of short sighted fans that refuse to see past their noses, that deep down, most of the reasonable minded Manly fans already know that Brookvale oval is not a long term solution that will enable the Sea Eagles to prosper.
That's not to say we shouldn't enjoy playing at Brookie while we can but it can't be doing the Sea Eagles brand much good in corporate world playing out of a dilapidated stadium held together by band aids and electrical tape.

As the best team in the comp, Manly deserve better than playing out of the worst ground in the league.

League is tribal and local. That is its strength in my opinion. We are not a soulless "franchise". The northern beaches is a tribal and local oriented area. It is great that manly has fans such as yourself from other parts of the country, but, with respect, please don't tell us what "most reasonable minded manly fans" think.

A significant brookie upgrade is the only way to go.

The arguement about brookvale oval is missing the point entirely. Yes its old and crap, yes its spiritual, yes its an advantage, yes yes yes but

Brookvale is part of a council, is part of a community which requires the communities cash and support to continue long term. Unless the Manly district supports manly financially and embraces them as an important part of the fabric of the area,, they have no long term prospect

This has been a major hurdle in going forward as much of the council and the community feel they would be better off without the club there. Its sad, but its reality.

WAMF said:

No WAMF, you'll find that the majority of people who share your opinions are from outside of Sydney, moreso outside of NSW.

It shows a lack of understanding or loss of touch with the local people. Sure, the Northern Beaches attitude is a bad thing, I'm not going to defend it but we have to accept it is a reality. A team playing in a flash stadium in front of 5000 people is not a good look for corporates either.

Just because something works in other states, cities or even regions of Sydney does not mean it will work in another. That goes for more issues than just the one at hand.

The only way to keep the Eagles relevant is to make Brookvale workable, whatever that entails.

The comparison with Melbourne is ludicrous.

1) The whole city is walking distance from end to end. The MCG precinct with AAMI park etc is serviced by trams, trains, buses and a 10 minute walk from the heart of Melbourne CBD.

2) The AFL game does not translate well to TV, so fans have to attend to appreciate the nuances of their game.

3) Assumption that the fans who go to their local grounds will migrate to the 2 Sydney Stadiums was debunked with Manly's first semi last year.
Would the Sharks fans go to ANZ Stadium? The Bulldogs fans hardly turn up now, and they are geographically within the area.

4) Not sure if the mythical Corporates will be willing to fork over big bucks to wine and dine at a partially empty stadium, when the actual Fans do not fork out extra time and monies to supply the atmosphere.

Shoe1 said:
WAMF said:

League is tribal and local. That is its strength in my opinion. We are not a soulless "franchise". The northern beaches is a tribal and local oriented area. It is great that manly has fans such as yourself from other parts of the country, but, with respect, please don't tell us what "most reasonable minded manly fans" think.

A significant brookie upgrade is the only way to go.

Hi Shoe and Duff,
Just to clear up I am Sydney born and bred. I fully understand the tribal culture of rugby league in Sydney and definitely don't need to be reminded of this.
I was also a season ticket holder between 1989 and 2003. I sat in the same seat all that time in what is now the Fulton Menzies Stand.
I can't recall missing a single home game in all that time.
I also love Brookvale oval...BUT I love my team even more and want them to do whatever needs to be done in order to survive, even if it means shifting grounds.
Go the Sea Eagles!!

I personally think a move to the "Big Two Stadiums" would be the death of Manly.

So many people say it is what the fans want, however how many Manly fans do we get at Roosters, Dogs or Souths games currently. I have been to Souths games where there are only 1 - 2K Manly supporters.

If we were to play say the Cowboys at ANZ, I could see crowds of under 5K, is that what people really want for the club.

There is not one major stadium on the northside of Sydney. If there was one then, yes, this proposal would have merit. But of Sydney's three major stadia (SCG, SFS, Olympic Park) two are south-east close to supporters of Easts, Souths and St George, and the other at Homebush is relatively close to Parramatta, Canterbury and Wests.
So, when you see the clubs supporting this proposal look at the reason why.

The Who said:
There is not one major stadium on the northside of Sydney. If there was one then, yes, this proposal would have merit. But of Sydney's three major stadia (SCG, SFS, Olympic Park) two are south-east close to supporters of Easts, Souths and St George, and the other at Homebush is relatively close to Parramatta, Canterbury and Wests.
So, when you see the clubs supporting this proposal look at the reason why.

I Agree with the above, maybe if there was decent transport to central stadiums from here it would be a possibility but there isn't.

Ever tried getting to a Monday night game at 7pm at the SFS after work (5pm) from the beaches? Goodluck! We would basically be giving ohme ground advantage away every Monday / Friday night game as it's too difficult to get there on time.

Totally agree with you Brookie4eva, I don't mind the game of the round idea but to have all games transfered to the big 2 stadiums would be the end of Manly, make that Cronulla and Penrith also i think.

People say we need better facilities which is true in that Brookvale needs to be upgraded but if they move all our games to SFS our crowds will drop massively and then everyone else will say we are ripe for the chop.

Also in Melbourne most of the AFL Clubs are based a whole lot closer to the city than a some Sydney clubs are, so fans from outer suburbs were already traveling to get to the games and changing to the 2 big stadiums wouldn't have changed their travel times as much as it will with with Sydney fans

bob dylan said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
When Abbott wins the next election we have $20 mill coming our way apparently

Berk please tell me you are not believing politicians promises.

Stick with Santa at least he delivers once a year.

No I'm just putting it out there

Could this be a precursor to the Trust idea for Brookvale? The Northern beaches needs a stadium, and we would be the client. I just hope the 'brains' trust realize that Sydney is not Melbourne and allow the game to stay in it's various tribal heartlands. However I like the thoughts that to much has been given to the likes of Leichhardt and other small stadiums in Labor electorates and very little to others. My worry is that the likes of John Quayle think that they can push their 'big stadium' agendas onto reluctant fans. Sydney fans won't travel for local weekend games, full stop.
A very small number of us are willing to travel. History has demonstrated that if you build it big, they still won't travel.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4