What can we do?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not sure why people keep saying there is nothing we can do. There is always something we can do. Question is how much responsibility do we take for the wellbeing of the club? Not much apparently.

Matt , appreciate your passion BUT considering the Franchise is privately owned what exactly can we do ?

1) We can't vote the board out!
2) We can't " storm the corporate offices and burn them at the stake!
3) Withholding funds could mean we become an NRL basket case, would you want that?
4) The media don't give a **** about us, so no ones going to run with our cause?
5) We know our letters, emails get ignored.
6) We know if we attack the Franchise on Facebook / Twitter we just get blocked.

Generally speaking our plea's fall on deaf ears.

So tell me exactly how you plan on " Doing it".??????

That's the fringe guys. Blake Green, Tapau, I'd give you Walker as possibly loose but still our best recent team had Choc who was as much of a ****wit as anyone.

Look who the Roosters recruited this year. Paul Carter, Knight, Tetevano...

If the Greg Bird rumour is true - he's not being recruited as a 'fringe guy'. And Walker is a good example of someone who wouldn't have been picked up by a club with a 'no dickheads' policy. Sure, he's young and will maybe grow out of it - but all the signs of the attitude, the arrogance, the penchant for stupid behaviour were all already there. What's worse, he displays the arrogance and over-inflated ego ON the field, and has done from day one.

Choc is a different case, because if they're your junior, they're your problem, to an extent - until they force you to sack them a la Canberra and their bad run with idiots. But why buy someone else's problem child? Their club is trying to offload them for a reason!

You'd think the Roosters would've learned after Carney - but their lack of a 'no dickheads' policy shouldn't be seen asan example to follow!

Or this I guess:

IMG_1633.PNG
IMG_1634.PNG

Matt , appreciate your passion BUT considering the Franchise is privately owned what exactly can we do ?

1) We can't vote the board out!
2) We can't " storm the corporate offices and burn them at the stake!
3) Withholding funds could mean we become an NRL basket case, would you want that?
4) The media don't give a **** about us, so no ones going to run with our cause?
5) We know our letters, emails get ignored.
6) We know if we attack the Franchise on Facebook / Twitter we just get blocked.

Generally speaking our plea's fall on deaf ears.

So tell me exactly how you plan on " Doing it".??????
Thank you I know your a passionate supporter as well.

I am thinking we could could literally boycott the first home game of 2017.

If my understanding is correct, now the the leagues club is sold off. The club will make no money off the beer sales/pokies and other incomes. Instead of going to the game, we could try and get as many supporters to the leagues club as possible, in a statement of solidarity. A protest of sorts. That way we are supporting our team whilst showing we are fed up with the management.

This would only work if the club makes no money off the leagues club. Someone may be able to confirm this or correct me. If thats not the case, we could simply choose a different venue.

The media may not give a **** about us but they would have a field day with this. We would get a lot of attention believe me. The Tele loves drama at manly and this would fit right into that category. Why not use it to our advantage for once?

We could make some simple demands such as "We demand that the club takes its supporters seriously through communication and acknowledging feedback", or "We demand that no more loyal club men including staff and players are treated with contempt and a lack of dignity going forward". We could even go as far to demand the sacking of Peter peters.

I would be more than happy to start a Facebook page outlining the cause but I would need the help of fellow supporters to get the word out. It may be as simple as sharing the page and getting fellow supporters to join. If enough supporters on here let me know they will support it, I will do it.

Last edited:
Thank you I know your a passionate supporter as well. I am thinking we could could literally boycott the first home game of 2017. If my understanding is correct, now the the leagues club is sold off. The club will make no money off the beer sales/pokies and other incomes. Instead of going to the game, we could try and get as many supporters to the leagues club as possible, in a statement of solidarity. A protest of sorts. That way we are supporting our team whilst showing we are fed up with the management. This would only work if the club makes no money off the leagues club. Someone may be able to confirm this or correct me. If thats not the case, we could simply choose a different venue. The media may not give a **** about us but they would have a field day with this. We would get a lot of attention believe me. The Tele loves drama at manly and this would fit right into that category. Why not use it to our advantage for once? We could make some simple demands such as "We demand that the club takes its supporters seriously through communication and acknowledging feedback", or "We demand that no more loyal club men including staff and players are treated with contempt and a lack of dignity going forward". We could even go as far to demand the sacking of Peter peters. I would be more than happy to start a Facebook page outlining the cause but I would need the help of fellow supporters to get the word out. It may be as simple as sharing the page and getting fellow supporters to join. If enough supporters on here let me know they will support it, I will do it.
All good ideas BUT here's the thing. Probably 60-70% of fans aren't Facebook / Twitter / Social media users, so your plea will only appeal to the 30% who are. Most fans are really excited about the first home game, regardless of how pissed off they are about what's going on they'll turn to see if the new team is going to be better than this years regardless of what you do!! I agree, Brookvale Oval empty would be a statement BUT in reality it's impossible to do. I spent 8 years promoting the MWTS, social media, word of mouth, Silvertails, " some" help by the club and I managed to get maybe 2500 contacts, in EIGHT years. I'm sorry but I think that's a losing battle for you, good idea, impossible to implement!!

All good ideas BUT here's the thing. Probably 60-70% of fans aren't Facebook / Twitter / Social media users, so your plea will only appeal to the 30% who are. Most fans are really excited about the first home game, regardless of how pissed off they are about what's going on they'll turn to see if the new team is going to be better than this years regardless of what you do!! I agree, Brookvale Oval empty would be a statement BUT in reality it's impossible to do. I spent 8 years promoting the MWTS, social media, word of mouth, Silvertails, " some" help by the club and I managed to get maybe 2500 contacts, in EIGHT years. I'm sorry but I think that's a losing battle for you, good idea, impossible to implement!!
Nothing is impossible, especially if the people are on board. We are all passionate supporters, if we work together we can achieve something like this. We can appeal to our friends that aren't on Facebook through word of mouth. the media would probably do the work for us. I understand if people do not want to be involved but the offer is there. If this is something other people will support I will happily do much of the heavy lifting.

Nothing is impossible, especially if the people are on board. We are all passionate supporters, if we work together we can achieve something like this. We can appeal to our friends that aren't on Facebook through word of mouth. the media would probably do the work for us. I understand if people do not want to be involved but the offer is there. If this is something other people will support I will happily do much of the heavy lifting.

You've got nothing to lose BUT don't start this now, in a few weeks Cricket / Summer begin and people won't give a ****.

If you still feel this way in February, then when the footy season is approaching is the time to do it !!!

am thinking we could could literally boycott the first home game of 2017.
Absurd
We could make some simple demands such as "We demand that the club takes its supporters seriously through communication and acknowledging feedback", or "We demand that no more loyal club men including staff and players are treated with contempt and a lack of dignity going forward". We could even go as far to demand the sacking of Peter peters.
Even more absurd
I was thinking of giving you some marks for enthusiasm... but changed my mind.

Hey, Mark,
Your comment re: withholding funds probably needs some investigation.
The way I see it, the franchise gets funded from three broad areas.
* NRL (TV revenues)
* Sponsorship
* So-called "Club subscriptions.
I imagine that these are in order of importance.
You make the point that the "club" might suffer if "membership" fee income fell. I agree that it might suffer , but I dont agree that the franchise would fold because a number of customers did not re-join.

You also said that the franchise does not listen to members/customers.
I have been in business for myself. So have you. So have lots of folk on this forum. I learnt early in life that a business does not function without customers.

Surely, someone at MWSE Ltd would notice the signs of customer dissatisfaction and realise that they weren't "listening to their customer base?

Doing Nothing is not the answer!

(Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been a member. I have lived away from Sydney since about 1974 and right now, it would be about a five hour drive just to get to Brookvale. I pay my dues by enduring the carpet bombing of betting ads on TV)

Last edited:
I understand the disappointment and passion displayed in this, and other threads, at present. I've had the same feelings of discontent with the club over the last couple of years. However, lately I've tried looking at this situation from a more rational viewpoint in an attempt to make sense of everything.

Firstly, regarding the OP, the memories you have of going to Brookie with your Grandfather struck a chord with me, as I'm sure it does many others here. I've been following Manly for all of my 39 years. My dad named me after Graham Eadie. He's not much of a traveler and always told me as a kid Brookie was a bit too far take me to watch the footy (it's about 4-5 hours for us). Once I was old enough to make my own way to Sydney (about 18-19), I got to Brookie a couple of times. I kept telling the old man he didn't know what he was missing out on not experiencing a packed Brookie Oval. Finally, about 15 years ago, I bought him a membership for his birthday and told him there's no more excuses. We've been getting down to Brookie 2-3 times a year ever since. This year, my dad has been battling bowel cancer, and as a result we only got to Killer's farewell. He's finished his treatment and all looks well, but it's taken a toll on him and I'm not sure how many more trips to Brookie he'll be up for. Fortunately, the last couple of years my son has been coming with us and he absolutely loves the place, so there's plenty of more memories ahead.

With regards to a boycott of the first home game, whilst well-intentioned, I think it would backfire. No doubt the media would grab hold of it, but they would use it against us. Every year we hear the 'Manly fans don't travel' jibes. I can see the DT headline now "Manly fans don't travel....even to their own home ground!" It would be turned against us without a doubt.

I'm not a fan of Scott Penn. Right from the start when Max Delmege bought into the club to save it, the way he and Zorba went around saying they were going to do the same thing but Max got in first came across as bitterness and jealousy that they didn't get to play the hero. Then there was the power plays for years between the Penn's, Delmege and the Football Club. I'm not saying this was all Penn's fault, in fact I'd assume all parties were to blame to some extent, but they appeared to be in the thick of it. Despite all this, I'll go through some other points raised in the OP and offer what I believe may be some reasoning behind them.

With regards to some of the names mentioned:

Toovey - I have no reasoning here. Obviously a victim of the power struggles but to treat a club legend this way is inexcusable. I was still to be sold on Tooves coaching ability, however he deserved the chance to prove himself, which he never received. Now Penn has won that struggle he could do worse than to get Tooves back on board in some capacity. He is a qualified accountant and has served on the board of the NRMA so I'm sure the club could make use of his skillset either in the coach's box or the boardroom. This would go some way to restoring the faith of the fan base. Whether Tooves would be interested is another matter but the offer should be made. Fulton is crucial here. They won a premiership together so there has to be a connection there.

Gifty - one of my all-time favourite players, but reality is he was done. He showed that at Souths. His departure should have been handled better. DCE and Foran were rightfully the priority at the time. That obviously didn't work out as planned but we may have dodged a bullet with Foran anyway.

Gutho - there's reports Gutho was dirty Turbo was being touted as Snake's successor and didn't want to play wing/centre. All speculation, but if there's any truth in it, not the best way to promote yourself when trying to crack first grade. Also, don't under-estimate the influence Choc and Foran may have had there.

Hiku - depends what cash was involved here. He was a current international when he left so may have been offered good coin.

Buhrer - more to play out here. If it's to make room to resign the Dual Turbo's hmmmmm....maybe, but still think there's other deadwood we could shed, but depends on who is on what $$$ I guess. If it's to make room for Greg Bird then no way. I have no desire to see Bird in a Manly jersey.

With regards to the overall management of the club, while I don't like Penn, the fact remains he is pumping his own cash into the place. That alone means he has every reason to see the club successful and prosper. I can't buy into the theories that he's intentionally destroying the club. I don't see what he can gain from that, but I can see what he can lose.

I am a Fulton fan however. He is a massive part of what it means to be Manly. I didn't see him play, but the fact he was selected as a one of the first Immortals without any question, speaks volumes. As a player he was a massive part in making Manly a premiership powerhouse in the '70's. As a coach, he won multiple premierships and was a highly successful representative coach. He made tough decisions in cutting club legends Paul Vautin, Chris Close and Ron Gibbs...all at the right time as history shows. About the only player I can think of he let go who went on to emulate their Manly success elsewhere was Phil Blake. He has been brought in to make similar decisions. Whether they prove the right calls history will decide, but he has a fair track record. Again, I don't see what he has to gain by the club being destroyed. I doubt he needs the cash (if he's being paid at all) and I have no doubt he has every desire to see the club successful again.

Sorry, that went on a bit longer than anticipated, but that's my recent take on the happenings at the club. However, let me stew on things over a few beers tomorrow night and I'll probably be all for burning every Weight Watcher's clinic to the ground, particularly if we sign Bird.

Now i have not posted here in a very, very long time as i was ridiculed for having an opinion here, However I can't sit quietly now and not voice my concern of the direction the club seems to be going. And for the record this is my personal view.

Fans and Members are treated as if they are insignificant and not valued at all, there is very little communication from the club and no recourse for Members (especially) to voice concerns.

Whilst us as fans do not have as big a say as we used to, the FC still has the preference share and whilst we do hold 2 board seats at the MWSE it is unlikely that we would win a vote in the current environment.

Boycotting memberships or games is not the way as this will directly effect the Teams finances, we can voice our concerns but hurting the team financially should not be anyone's agenda IMHO.

All I can suggest is join the FC, let's get the numbers up so the small voice we currently posses can be made louder. I Truly believe if we can get the FC membership to a respectable level (on par with sea eagles membership #s) we as fans can still have our say in the organisation whether they choose to listen is up to them, however with a large membership base we will hold more weight.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6