What age should a Gifted player debut ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The old saying "if your good enough, your old enough" seems now pushed aside...
The old days when an early high shot, clip across the ear or a face rub, was your welcome to the big time are gone....which is fine...the game has evolved and in actual fact, this should benefit the rookies coming into the NRL, without feeling like a target for the experienced tough guys to chew up and spit out, as there is far more protection and the speed of the game also reduces the time in the contest where the old dog can mess with the young dog.
The biggest detraction in the current game, effecting the youngsters stepping up is the lack of a reserve grade where they can at least compete against men rather than jumping from playing against kids, straight into NRL level....this is quite a big gulf as it's not just the jump up in class and speed, the brute force in every contact is up a fair way and the experience in reserves at least gives a closer feel of what to expect and prepare for.
There is an abundance of young talent at Manly and personally see 2 who could hopefully step up and make instant impact, but there is risk, no doubt....or Des would have done it.
The problem is that it will probably be a longer wait for these youngsters who train and play with the NRL team mates at training, but have no real game time now until selected, which is obviously a risky timing factor as it can make or break a career.....I hope we get more "friendlies" before the top grade games and maybe then, these kids can prove themselves against men and earn selection...

Depends.

There's just not many players who are physically developed enough at a young age and have enough strings on their bow to be able to compete in NRL.

Theres lots of junior players who excel in juniors because they can ballplay but arent big enough for NRL, and theres lots of juniors who excel at that level by being physically imposing but are unremarkable by NRL standards. Some will get there with a few years of playing in lower grades with men, but a lot won't.

I have to trust that Schuster is still a work in progress which is why he hasnt debuted yet.

I’m not sure if age is the reason. If the Jersey Flegg or Reserve Grade competitions were running I reckon there would be a better chance of them being picked. It’s hard for someone like Hoppa to come back from injury, playing no footy at a lower level to get use to it, and be chucked into first grade.

Would love to see a couple young ones debut soon but understand if they dont

The young fellas also need to be mature enough to handle everything about first grade - it's not just on-field ability. Think about social media, the 24/7 news cycle and how unforgiving fans (and opposition fans) can be for a few below par performances - just look at this site these last few days. The young blokes read this stuff and take it to heart, so a coach needs to be sure that they can handle the scrutiny.

Age is not the defining factor, " ready" is.

The people in charge being a good judge of that is the defining part.

In the current climate where boys with no experience against men can't even practice against boys it takes even more judgement.

Bear in mind that in young Hoppa's case, he is coming off 2 season ending knee injuries back to back and zero game time.

Depends.

There's just not many players who are physically developed enough at a young age and have enough strings on their bow to be able to compete in NRL.

Theres lots of junior players who excel in juniors because they can ballplay but arent big enough for NRL, and theres lots of juniors who excel at that level by being physically imposing but are unremarkable by NRL standards. Some will get there with a few years of playing in lower grades with men, but a lot won't.

I have to trust that Schuster is still a work in progress which is why he hasnt debuted yet.
Well they do it differently in the Shire hehe!

You can get a guide from players who are not gifted, and when they debut. Most players (just a guess!) probably debut aged 21 to 23. Some younger, not very many much older than that.
Gifted players won't be a lot different, probably a bit younger but depends what position and depends what their 'gifts' are.
Speaking of gifts, Gift was a classic example of a gifted player who was brought along slowly, and when he was finally ready for the physical demands of first grade he excelled.

If your good enough your old enough! In regards to Albert he is one of the strongest in the top 30. Upper body strength is better than most first graders running around.

The injuries have been an issue in the past, but there is only one way to find out if players are ready and that’s to give them a run.

Ideally I would love to see young players blooded into the team, the circumstances of 2020 mean that its unlikely that we will see too much of that.

Des likes to stay loyal to his team and will only make changes if he absolutely has too. We have problems in our number 6 and 9 and this is our achillies heel this season. I hope he does not wait too long if results start going against us. We have 13 rounds to go and we must win at least 8 of them to make the finals.

The biggest barrier is there is no football for the younger players and it would be a big ask to blood them into a first grade environment without any match play what so ever. I would like to see the NRL and NSWRL get some minor grade football so that clubs have options come finals time.

A Gifted player should debut at the age he is good enough .
Have faith in them and give them the confidence to soar like Sea Eagles

In my opinion it also depends on how many senior players are in the team, what position they're playing, how the team is playing, how settled the team is etc.
Look at the Knights a few years ago, Brownie admitted that a lot of his players weren't ready and they came through together so they, the team and the club went through a world of pain.
Look at the Broncos now, their youth policy most likely will reap dividends in a year or two but are their supporters and board prepared to wait?

Beaver debuted at 19.
Bradman Best and Coats have both shown at 18 you can be NRL quality.
The Shoe is a big lad. He'd handle the physicality of NRL, and he certainly has the skill. He's the one who should be in our top 17.
Ok 18 or 19 then

Ideally I would love to see young players blooded into the team, the circumstances of 2020 mean that its unlikely that we will see too much of that.

Des likes to stay loyal to his team and will only make changes if he absolutely has too. We have problems in our number 6 and 9 and this is our achillies heel this season. I hope he does not wait too long if results start going against us. We have 13 rounds to go and we must win at least 8 of them to make the finals.

The biggest barrier is there is no football for the younger players and it would be a big ask to blood them into a first grade environment without any match play what so ever. I would like to see the NRL and NSWRL get some minor grade football so that clubs have options come finals time.

The NSWRL should lobby the Federal Govt. for a JobSeeker inclusion for minor grade footballers who have lost their income.

Treat them like "Gig workers", who do not have a 12 months record of employment. Assemble, say 10 or 11 NSW teams in a one off competition for, say $1000 per week ea. for 10 weeks plus basic finals.

Give them support through their clubs and maybe even a win/loss payment?

If the govt came good and with contributions from all interested parties, we could keep these young guys employed.

Lots of red tape to work out, but still a possibility for the rest of the season.

You can get a guide from players who are not gifted, and when they debut. Most players (just a guess!) probably debut aged 21 to 23. Some younger, not very many much older than that.
Gifted players won't be a lot different, probably a bit younger but depends what position and depends what their 'gifts' are.
Speaking of gifts, Gift was a classic example of a gifted player who was brought along slowly, and when he was finally ready for the physical demands of first grade he excelled.

One of the more remarkable examples from recent memory. He was a reserve grade player (with the occasional NRL appearance) for four years until Des finally gave him a starting position in 2007. Then never looked back.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4