We Need To Play Deeper in Attack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What's the point of Hodkindon throwing a flat pass to someone who gets crunched the moment he catches the ball. Already seen him do this a few times already.

For years now I've lamented the lack of backline creativity from a scrum win. Can anyone tell me why you play a forward in the backline in a scrum situation?
Scums give you a greater chance to attack because there are a wad of players engaged (or should be bound) in the scum pack.
Wouldn't it be worth a chance to kick over the defence, where the opposing fullback is either in the scum or in the line, and allow your fast centre and winger to gain a flying start?
I would have thought that Barrett, as a former terrific 5/8, would be chock full of attacking ideas. No, he (and almost all other coaches) are more concerned with not losing and playing it safe than taking calculated risks.
Our backline has let us down in most matches this season. So, if we are going to "sack Barrett" as many want, then his replacement must be the Walker Brothers who would turn this game on its head. Not only would we win more games with an attacking mindset we would be more entertaining to watch than the current five 'die-with-the-ball hitups' and then a kick-and-hope game plan.

100% correct.
A player who hits the ball at pace is a far tougher prospect to stop than a flat footed player.
This is also a key reason players run sideways, players will tend to crab after getting a ball while not in motion to avoid the oncoming defence.
The opposite effect is getting the ball deep, the better players make space off the ball, so once it arrives can play direct at a hole.

And it would also give our slow players such as (M.Wright) more time to react and pass the ball to his outside men when an overlap presents itself. Something he seems incapable of doing with our current style of play.

One thing I can't understand these days is why so often there are two passes thrown on hit ups, particularly on set starts. In the eighties the forwards used to get a massive head of steam on the first 1 or 2 hitups,and time their run so one short pass to them and they are charging into the defence. Campbell Gillard times these kinds of runs well and I love it. It gives the chance for a quick play the ball even if there are no post contact metres and you make heaps of ground and have a deep line to play off.

So often there are two passes to a forward, or passes 5 metres back so the forward is almost flat footed and actually ends up 5 metres back and the line flat. I just don't get why that has changed. For an example, watch Manlys 30-0 win over Great Britain in 1988. The whole game is on Youtube. Watch how those forwards hit it up. It is how footy should be played!!

NYEagle

Last edited:
Why use up all of our forwards' energy making ground through post contact metres when we can make just as much yardage if not more through deeper set backline attacking raids? A player running at the defence full steam will also tire the opposition out more and make it harder for them to wrestle their way into slowing down the play the ball.

Why use up all of our forwards' energy making ground through post contact metres when we can make just as much yardage if not more through deeper set backline attacking raids? A player running at the defence full steam will also tire the opposition out more and make it harder for them to wrestle their way into slowing down the play the ball.
This is the argument of why Manly are losing games whilst being so dominant making more metres than the opposition.
The drop is to iscolate 1 defender...make the collision...win off the ground.
Not great as a spectacle but creates plenty off the back of it, opposition do it to Manlys big players often, playing the ball whilst players are still getting off the ground.
This can be more advantageous than struggling an extra 2-3 metres and ending up with a slow play ball.
An unfortunate part of today’s game is much resemblance with touch footy where the drop is like a touch footy dump play, driving the ruck back 100mp....in my opinion, a bloke like Jake or Radley who can hit a bloke with textbook shoulder tackles 1 on 1 then instantly have to release is the issue......this should be dominant with a 3 second defensive win.
Would help bring back Real tackles instead of this hold , dance, numbers in - then wrestle to the ground crap.

What a sight the big, deep backline moves were.
It was necessary largely due to 5m rule, but far better to watch them unfold than the replicated stuff most teams do today.
And, importantly, it was better to see it happen at the game than on tv.
Tbh I've got no idea what we are trying to do this year.

What a sight the big, deep backline moves were.

Other teams have no problems managing it in today's game. I watch every game, every week and it is quite common, just not with us.

First receiver needs to be deeper and so on out the backline. The quicker the opposition is getting off their line, the deeper first receiver needs to be.

Our elusive backs NEED BALL IN SPACE!

Kelly has shown great quick hands when bottled up but wait until you see him with some room. He would be ripping it up if he was in a team that played with space.

put simply we lack football brains. DCE has none, Turbo has none, these guys play of their own ability 90% OF THE TIME.

boy do we miss LYON, \ SNAKE, SKIVVY , these guys has skill and brains

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8