We are missing that 9

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Not to bag Levi who I was hoping could exceed expectations...truth is Api was massive....Fainu even more so , personally reckon Fainu coud have been N1 dummy half in the NRL by end of 2020 if not outed
We are missing te games best player Tom T, Walker , Suli and more but after today, damn tough to get it done without a Top 8 hooker...no secret why Storm have been so dominant, love or hate Smith , a world class 9 puts you a chance - every game - every level of footy...hope Levi comes back to be the player I thought he was...plenty of time

It is a pity we could not borrow Harry Grant for 12 months.
He is wasted at the Tigers. He would be awesome for Manly

I didn't think he was particularly poor tonight. He got our forwards moving pretty well in the early exchanges, good service and some well-timed darts from dummy half. But we couldn't sustain any pressure, mainly because our fifth-tackle options were so poor. Seemed like a problem with our halves rather than our hooker.

Last edited:
Today was a sobering one. So far the team until today had managed to cover the gaps we have in hooker and five eighth and those gaps appear wide right now.

We lack thrust around the ruck and our halves were reluctant to take the line on. outside of Sirro and AFB who was colossal we were out gunned, out enthused and mentally broken today. This team has played some tough footy over the last month and overcome adversity and prevailed.

Today the turning point was 30 mintues into the game, we got an adverse call and instead of attacking them the penalty was reversed and they scored from that set and it game them the inpetus to score again. Crucially we concede before and after half time, 22 points concede in this period and that ended any chance we had.

The experiment to play a few guys out of position did not pay off. Surely next week, Elliot to full back, Garrick back to the right wing and hopefully Suli back. I would get Cust into the halves and keep Croker on the bench so that we can rotate he and Levi.

The team did not give up and that is about the only positive from tonight. You cannot concede 40 points and be a serious contender!

This is the reality check the team needed and that we must play a different game until we get our guns back.

The question has to be asked as to why our halves could not take advantage of a decent opening to the game where AFB and Marty provided some decent go forward.

Our left side defence got badly exposed time and time again tonight. We missed Dylans defence as they got 2 tries in that hole between five eighth and centre and we also look so vulnerable to kicks in behind us when we push in to defend.

We need to be taking our chances and we have not scored ONE try from a kick all season and that is killing us. Our halves MUST do better because we are not a threat in that area.

Its another example of a week in football is a long one. We played amazing last week and today we were totally lost.

I hope that this is a reminder for the team that we must work harder. Des will get this right.

Credit to Cronulla they played really well, took advantage of all their chances that they created and only slackened off with 15 minutes to go.

Big test next week, a rebounding Newcastle who were soundly beaten too. Hopefully Brooky oval will see the team show up and put on a much better show!

I was literally going to write a post about the exact same thing. I couldn't agree more. Without a world class number nine you cannot win a comp. Levi does not have that elusive sharpness to his game. His passing is reasonable but he does not trouble defences and does not engage the opposition markers which leaves the ball receivers as sitting ducks. Even with Tom T back we will struggle until Fainu is back. God I hope Fainu is found innocent and his shoulder is ok, otherwise we are in trouble. You only have to see the bottom 8 and look at the hookers, they are nobodies except Harry Grant and with him in the Tigers side they look infinitely better. Raiders are travelling poorly because Hodgeson is struggling. Hooker is everything.

Today the turning point was 30 mintues into the game, we got an adverse call and instead of attacking them the penalty was reversed and they scored from that set and it game them the inpetus to score again. Crucially we concede before and after half time, 22 points concede in this period and that ended any chance we had.

Yep.

All Cherry had to do was stand up, play the ball, and have Crocker boot it downfield.

We are not discussing this if we aren't trying to milk a restart.

@maxta ... mate, you might not want to bag him, but I will.

Every game so far this year the only times we have really come alive and played well has been the times when Levi has not been on the field. Tonight was a perfect example of that.

He passes well from dummy half, not questioning that. But late in sets he has a bad habit of either not passing to the right person or taking a short run when we need the ball going through the hands. He seems to have little to no football brain at all. And its quite obvious that he and DCE just are not clicking and TBH its killing us.

@mave ... I'd be willing to bet that most of our points have come when Levi has been on the bench and either Croker or Cust have been the dummy half.

Unfortunately due to the current injury situation with Croker now at 5/8, we don't have a lot of choice outside of blooding a rookie like Schuster.

@mave ... I'd be willing to bet that most of our points have come when Levi has been on the bench and either Croker or Cust have been the dummy half.

Unfortunately due to the current injury situation we don't have a lot of choice.

I agree.

We do have some choice. Let's start with Crocker or Cust, and have Levi sub on against a tiring defence.
Clearly what we are doing is not working (in terms of scoring 1st half points), so let's try something different.

I agree.

We do have some choice. Let's start with Crocker or Cust, and have Levi sub on against a tiring defence.
Clearly what we are doing is not working (in terms of scoring 1st half points), so let's try something different.

Having Levi coming off the bench might be an option. But I'd be more in favour of keeping the attack going, not killing it.

Today was a sobering one. So far the team until today had managed to cover the gaps we have in hooker and five eighth and those gaps appear wide right now.

We lack thrust around the ruck and our halves were reluctant to take the line on. outside of Sirro and AFB who was colossal we were out gunned, out enthused and mentally broken today. This team has played some tough footy over the last month and overcome adversity and prevailed.

The experiment to play a few guys out of position did not pay off. Surely next week, Elliot to full back, Garrick back to the right wing and hopefully Suli back. I would get Cust into the halves and keep Croker on the bench so that we can rotate he and Levi.

The team did not give up and that is about the only positive from tonight. You cannot concede 40 points and be a serious contender!

This is the reality check the team needed and that we must play a different game until we get our guns back.

The question has to be asked as to why our halves could not take advantage of a decent opening to the game where AFB and Marty provided some decent go forward.

Our left side defence got badly exposed time and time again tonight. We missed Dylans defence as they got 2 tries in that hole between five eighth and centre and we also look so vulnerable to kicks in behind us when we push in to defend.

We need to be taking our chances and we have not scored ONE try from a kick all season and that is killing us. Our halves MUST do better because we are not a threat in that area.

Its another example of a week in football is a long one. We played amazing last week and today we were totally lost.

I hope that this is a reminder for the team that we must work harder. Des will get this right.

Credit to Cronulla they played really well, took advantage of all their chances that they created and only slackened off with 15 minutes to go.

Big test next week, a rebounding Newcastle who were soundly beaten too. Hopefully Brooky oval will see the team show up and put on a much better show!

Agree completely. The hooker and 5/8 is a big concern. I like your idea of rotating crocker with levi, that did ok. Crocker at 5/8 is a liability. Massive holes in the defence where normally Dylan and Thompson do so well. Crocker just arm grabs or runs out of the line WTF

Going to be tough without a full strength side and the likes of Faniu, Walker, Tommy and Suli out. Dont have the depth

I thought we went better when Cust was on. I would have him start with Levi off the bench.

Levi played adequately today, but he is not going to win a game for you, however we have few options, with seemingly Croker having to fill in at 5/8. We don't have any other halves with some experience with the exception of Zach Docker-Clay, who is on the small side defensively.

I think we are missing a 7 more than we are missing a 9.

We are missing the guy that steers us around the park when our strike weapon is out.

A better 9 would be great but he wouldn't have made the difference today without a REAL 7.

Sorry I repeat it everywhere but it's annoying the hell out of me.

but but but

he told us when he signed that he considered himself one of the better number 9's in the nrl....!

With the new rules, there is a new speed of the ruck, and space through the opposition middle.

With our go-foward, off the back of Marty, AFB, Keppie,etc, we should be in prime position to exploit this new game.

It's obvious to me why we are not.

He doesn't draw the markers and rarely passes wide, seeing far too many runs stifled. For some reason when he's on our forwards get the ball flat footed, which allows the defence to rush up on them. Makes some selfish plays inside the attacking zone and takes the wrong option too often when there's a quick play the ball. Far too many of his tackles allow the opposition forwards to land on their belly and get a quick play the ball in.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6