We are in a win win situation.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Firstly, I am a Des Hasler fan.
But being a site for opinion, don't feel any responsibility to agree with every game plan or selection policy and stick firmly with the opinion his team selections are frustratingly predictable.
Rather than being judged as supporters who know little, or have never laced a boot at U12's level, I propose a different angle.
I believe both Schuster and Hoppa would be playing in the top grade by now under Bellamy, Cleary and several other NRL coaches and yes this includes coaches with BETTER records than Des....also if they had a bloke like Cust who performed brilliantly with a MOM performance, would have held his spot the following week and Walker would have been in the centres or on the bench.
As for the Guocomole, if anyone can explain why he has been behind the likes of Gowiski, Waddell I would be interested to know why ?
The thing Des does excel in, is passion and love for the Manly club, he also can create a mindset of "us against the world"....just think that there are better options to help rejuvenate a team looking off the pace and needing a lift.
Don't need 100 changes, as I get this is a slippery slope also, but 1-2 could well add some life into the season, regardless of the results, which have been underwhelming recently anyway.

Firstly, I am a Des Hasler fan.
But being a site for opinion, don't feel any responsibility to agree with every game plan or selection policy and stick firmly with the opinion his team selections are frustratingly predictable.
Rather than being judged as supporters who know little, or have never laced a boot at U12's level, I propose a different angle.
I believe both Schuster and Hoppa would be playing in the top grade by now under Bellamy, Cleary and several other NRL coaches and yes this includes coaches with BETTER records than Des....also if they had a bloke like Cust who performed brilliantly with a MOM performance, would have held his spot the following week and Walker would have been in the centres or on the bench.
As for the Guocomole, if anyone can explain why he has been behind the likes of Gowiski, Waddell I would be interested to know why ?
The thing Des does excel in, is passion and love for the Manly club, he also can create a mindset of "us against the world"....just think that there are better options to help rejuvenate a team looking off the pace and needing a lift.
Don't need 100 changes, as I get this is a slippery slope also, but 1-2 could well add some life into the season, regardless of the results, which have been underwhelming recently anyway.
It is inappropriate surmising that posters on here that don't agree with Des's selections know little or have never laced a boot at u/12'a level. And then to top it off you suggest different selections to that of Des. I expect many posters on here played football for many years I did. I expect many posters on here have had a crack at coaching football teams I did. I expect that a great many posters on here have been a student of the game for many years some in excess in 50 years such as me. Des has had great success and knows what he is doing - that is what I find most concerning about what is going on.

Replacing which of the 3 centres we already have?

Any, and all of them.

Parker has reached his ceiling and has a glass jaw. He is a good, reliable back-up for 1st grade.

Walker can't stay on the park, for a multitude of reasons. And I'm starting to question if he will be here next year anyway.

And Suli is good, but not involved enough. He is the pick of those 3 though.

I'd be picking Funa first, and then worrying about the other outside backs around him.

It is inappropriate surmising that posters on here that don't agree with Des's selections know little or have never laced a boot at u/12'a level. And then to top it off you suggest different selections to that of Des. I expect many posters on here played football for many years I did. I expect many posters on here have had a crack at coaching football teams I did. I expect that a great many posters on here have been a student of the game for many years some in excess in 50 years such as me. Des has had great success and knows what he is doing - that is what I find most concerning about what is going on.
Firstly you need to read again to understand the context of my post, because you got it Very Warped with your analysis....obviously plenty if not all here have a good footy knowledge, simply differing opinions.
My statement read "Rather than being judged as supporters who know little, or have never laced a boot at U12's level, I propose a different angle."
Meaning -
This angle of (other coaches), takes us Silvertails opinions out of it, as I feel very strongly other NRL coaches would be giving these rookies a go and WOULD agree with posters on here, a few changes could be very beneficial in giving a much needed boost.
This was aimed at those stating Des "MUST" be making the right calls, because he has a successful coaching record, which I make clear imo, are still the wrong selections regardless of what he has achieved in the past.

Last edited:
In relation to picking young players in my humble opinion there’s a way to do it.

They become player 17 and are only used firstly when we’ve won the game and aren’t under any pressure and secondly only if injuries force their use.

We could afford to give them all a run or two this way.

Firstly you need to read again to understand the context of my post, because you got it Very Warped with your analysis....obviously plenty if not all here have a good footy knowledge, simply differing opinions.
My statement read "Rather than being judged as supporters who know little, or have never laced a boot at U12's level, I propose a different angle."
Meaning -
This angle of (other coaches), takes us Silvertails opinions out of it, as I feel very strongly other NRL coaches would be giving these rookies a go and WOULD agree with posters on here, a few changes could be very beneficial in giving a much needed boost.
This was aimed at those stating Des "MUST" be making the right calls, because he has a successful coaching record, which I make clear imo, are still the wrong selections regardless of what he has achieved in the past.
Oops sorry.

In relation to picking young players in my humble opinion there’s a way to do it.

They become player 17 and are only used firstly when we’ve won the game and aren’t under any pressure and secondly only if injuries force their use.

We could afford to give them all a run or two this way.
I reckon there's a simple way Mark....the argument is

Are there options that may improve the team ?
Or
Are we happy to keep the same team performing at this level ?

I feel fairly confident there are better options and rookies with nowhere near the talent of Schuster and Hoppa have shown this at other teams...
In fact if memory serves me correctly, young Fainu was already being touted in the top shelf of hookers after just a few games in the NRL in 1 of the toughest positions and Guocomole gets a shot and was the best Manly player last week, as was Cust a few games ago getting best on ground before dropped....

Let's be more specific then. The waddler. The last 2 weeks has been an utter gong show. How many dropped balls? NRL site lists 3 missed tackles and 3 dropped balls. This guy should not have started and more importantly should have been raked after the first drop ball. He killed our momentum on several occasions. 10 hit us in 80 minutes is not good enough especially at 77m.

Vs his old club the week b4 he made 8 tackles in 49 minutes. Disgraceful effort from a forward.

In my opinion he is the stand out worst player we have fielded this year. But he is in our 17 again this week.

So here is my point. In a winning footy side you need pressure on you to make the side and keep your spot to deliver high performance. If Des had raked the waddler first drop ball last week he would have set an example and a clear message. If he had dropped the waddler the message would have been loud and clear. Instead, and as pointed out above, Cust who was mom was dropped, croker who has been woeful, retained and Funa who has run great lines and keeps scoring also dropped.

My money is on the players also noticing this stuff just as we do. Now they start thinking what do I have to do to get a run. Then they start looking elsewhere for an opportunity.

Worst of all within the squad it creates uncertainty, not a trademark of successful winning cultures. The coqs and scum coaches have made their careers on bringing any player in to perform a role when a player is out. When players flop their opportunity they give someone else a go. Until they get the combination right.

I am a massive fan of Des, but I recall looking at his selections and game plan in his last couple of years at the dogs and that is what this team looks like. Bring back the mad scientist, the innovator, take some risks and reap the rewards.

Also, you know when you are watching a game of footy and your team kicks and you think why the hell did you kick it to him. The player at wing or fb and your heart is in your mouth knowing he could cut through your line and run 90m. No sign of said player in our team without Tommy. We need speed at the back and out wide anyone paying attention especially since the 6 again rule can see that. With our back three plodding on kick returns teams can basically send 1-3 chasers without risk and have their line set for the next tackle. You don't win rugby league games off your back foot.

Either Des's trusted players turn it around in the next 2/3 weeks or we get a free look at our youth for the last 4/5 weeks of the season.

Whilst most are lining up to give it to Des and his selections I have no doubt he wants to make the finals as much if not more than anyone and is using his experience and expertise to put our best foot forward every week. Very easy to throw up 3 or 4 inexperienced players that we'd like to see in the side but that is unlikely to save our season.

Injuries have near crippled us this year but there is no need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Are Hoppa, Schuster, Guacamole and others ready for full time first grade? I Don't know but I doubt anyone posting here has a better idea than Des.
Give me a year since 2014 where injuries haven't crippled our season. I think it's our new norm now days

I almost wish Des would pick the "dream team" 3/4 of ST posters are putting forward, just to see how ST reacts to them losing games. Who do we bring in then? My guess is they'd say "anyone, I don't care, we just need change". Losses are hard to cop but the answer can't always be to sack half the team.
And the answer isnt sacking no-one either... poor old Jorge must look at Elliott, Garrick, Parker, Croker GoJetski etc and think why me? Mind you it took a lot of losing to unseat Jorge too so maybe he shouldn't complain... after all he will be back next week just like GoJetSki...

Give me a year since 2014 where injuries haven't crippled our season. I think it's our new norm now days
The storm, the roosters, raiders, eels have all had injuried but get the job done...
The real problem arises when your squad is not that great to start with and has very poor depth... welcome to Manly 2014-2020

I guess Des was thinking the same as me to pick Funa instead of Jorge for today's game. Funa played well, saved a certain try and it certainly wasn't a cricket score.
Congratulations, we lost because of him

Give me a thousand dropped bombs over a dead**** dope who doesn't even try to compete, he's about Darius Boyd good but today not when Dawius was good

He'll look great in another teams jersey asap

I almost wish Des would pick the "dream team" 3/4 of ST posters are putting forward, just to see how ST reacts to them losing games. Who do we bring in then? My guess is they'd say "anyone, I don't care, we just need change". Losses are hard to cop but the answer can't always be to sack half the team.
What if they won though? I doesn't seem like Des can pick a team that will at the moment.
Then we can demand a ST poll becomes the new selection panel for Manly!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8