We all love Slater

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Quote from Ricky Stuart;
"If I ask Billy Slater to take it out of his game, he wouldn't be the Billy Slater we all love".
Who is this idiot kidding.  I guarantee you, Snake wouldn't have gone near the sideline, too smart for that play.  Stuart must have been referring to the way Slater slides feet first into players.  Slater now joins the short list of players who have thrown games by their own inept displays.  Hayne is another of this illustrious band of idiots.  " I would never ever be critical of Billy, Stuart said.  With that sort of attitude Stuart should now be sacked.  The team had enough world beaters to have won ten world cups.  Uncritical 'love' is best left in the bedroom, when the lights are out. 

Ricky Stuart has murdered his reputation over here completely today, with his "we were stitched up" cry

Below is an article where Billy, Stuart and Gallen show themselves up for what they are. Interesting to hear Steve Price on the radio right now saying that "Our mistake put us into that position, and the penalty try was a fair enough call"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Kangaroos have been slammed for their post-match sulk and a whinge about a "stitch-up" by match officials after the Kiwis' upset World Cup rugby league final victory.

The conduct of coach Ricky Stuart's team was under the microscope in the Australian media today after most of the team, including the main protagonists Billy Slater and Joel Monaghan, refused to be interviewed after the Kiwis' shock 34-20 win in Brisbane.

An upset Slater, just days after accepting the plaudits for international player of the year, was asked to discuss the match, including his wild infield pass which handed Kiwis five-eighth Benji Marshall a crucial late try.

"But instead of fronting up to the media and, in turn, league fans, (Slater) snuck out with nothing more than a sneer for those who had waited patiently for him to finish his post-game ritual," Dan Koch wrote in The Australian newspaper.

"It was an arrogant and indignant display from a bloke once regarded as one of the more affable characters around, but who, in recent seasons, has earned a reputation as one of the game's more abrasive players."

Slater's howler was rated just outside the Daily Telegraph newspaper's top-five sporting blunders, which included Wallaby David Campese's stray pass to hand the British Lions a matchwinning rugby try in 1989, and South African Herschelle Gibbs' dropped catch off Australia's Steve Waugh at the 1999 cricket World Cup.

BBC television commentator Ray French, a former England league and rugby international, labelled the Kangaroos "sooks".

"I've never heard such a load of mumbo-jumbo. If you get beat, you face up to it, get dressed and go home. Life goes on," he told the Daily Telegraph.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported widespread dissatisfaction among the Kangaroos about the performance of English-based Australian referee Ashley Klein and video ref Steve Ganson (England).

Stuart reportedly fronted Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr afterwards, alleging a conspiracy by tournament organisers.

"Witnesses say Stuart was out of line in his attack, blaming match officials and accusing them of stitching up his team to such an extent that defeat was virtually inevitable," the paper said.

Stuart allegedly said the result suited organisers and the future of the World Cup which was written off as a one-horse race.

The Kangaroos were fuming at the Kiwis' penalty try after Lance Hohaia was taken out by Monaghan, which had an element of doubt with Slater in close proximity to contest the ball; and in Jerome Ropati's first half try after Marshall was deemed to have been stripped of the ball.

"It was terrible, to be honest. We knew we were going to have to play bad to get beaten, (and) we didn't play our best game but we weren't that bad," lock Paul Gallen told Channel Nine.

"It was a bit of a stitch-up, I thought, in some decisions."

Gallen should get a mind, Australia did play badly and NZ played well, all game.  The referees were OK in my book.  In fact they were kind to a few Aussie grapples which I saw.  (Kitey was holding around the brain region a few times)  Four guys in a tackle is ridiculous and leaves nothing but the head to hang onto for the fourth guy.  Stuart has always been a whinger and its catching on down Cronulla way.  I just love it when he gets beat. 

Things didn't go their way, but to call it a stitch up is just churlish. I thought the strip call on Marshall was generous to say the least, Laffranchi didn't intentionally play at the ball in my opinion. Add the gift that Slater gave them and then the penalty try (which was a 50/50 call but acceptable I suppose) and the Kiwis certainly got their share of "luck". Hard to justify calling them the best side on the night, but they hung in there long enough to make the most of some good fortune.

I thought they were the best side, based purely on the domination over the Australian forward pack for a lot of the match

Yep kiwi forwards **** all over ours. Kite didn't have his best game.

As much as I hate to say it Adam Blair deserved MOM. Let it be known I f@#king can't stand Adam Blair

I thought the guy with the half mohawk played very well.  Actually their pack was dominant.  Fitz and Civo are just getting too old.  Gallen is a dick and the rest, bar Choc and Glenn, were poor.  Our 5/8 was hardly a link to anything and to blame the refs was Ricky Stuart all over.  Poor loser.

Whilst i don't want to sound like Stuart plus the fact that the WC really means nothing seeing that we are 08 premiers. However, i think the Aussies can feel a little unlucky with the Marshall "strip" and the penalty try.

Marshall wqas trying to get his hands in a position to pass and laffranchi was trying to catch him from behind - he would of done well to see the ball let alone strip it.

Also i think there was enough doubt over whether Slater would of been first to the ball for the penalty try to award a plain penalty and sin bin Monaghan.

Meh - bring on the real footy

The Marshall strip was a dud call in my eyes. For 30 odd weeks in the NRL that wouldn't have even gone to the video ref. Ball carrier lost the ball, it went forward. That was my thoughts on that.

Thought the penalty try was spot on though. Maybe there was a bit of doubt over who might've got to the ball first, and maybe Hohaia would have knocked on if he did get there first, but fair go....he was over the tryline, was in the right position and got coathangered. You just can't do that. Fair call.

Other than that, I was stoked to see the Kiwis win, and I'm happy for them to get a couple of lucky bounces (and boy did they get them!)

willstyles link said:
Thought the penalty try was spot on though. Maybe there was a bit of doubt over who might've got to the ball first, and maybe Hohaia would have knocked on if he did get there first, but fair go....he was over the tryline, was in the right position and got coathangered. You just can't do that. Fair call.

Can't agree with you there Will. For a penalty try to be awarded the referee has to have no doubt that a try would have been scored if not for an illegal act. At best it was a 50/50 call as to who would have got to the ball first, so by definition there has to be doubt as to whether a try would have been scored and therefore the correct ruling should have been a penalty to the Kiwis and Monaghan to the sin bin for a professional foul.

The wording isn't as exact as no doubt i think Corso

I thought the ruling was spot on imo

Probably the best judge of that on the field was Monaghan himself, and he felt the need to take Hohaia out to stop him getting the ball

And the 'strip' was a strip fair and square.  Look at it again in slo-mo and you'll see Lafranchi's hand on the ball all over it, pulling at it.  The ball then rotates forward.  Sure Marshall might have been going to pass but he couldn't because Lafranchi's hand was on the ball.  Monaghan must have thought Hohaia was going to get the ball and so held on to him holding him off the ball thus allowing Slater to run through and get the ball.  (If it's a penalty try from a blatant illegal play why was Monaghan allowed to stay on the field instead of getting ten in the bin?)  Fair calls both.  I thought Australia got away with a few illegalities of the neck holding type and were lucky Marshall had such a ****e game.  I can't figure how he dropped that ball with a try begging.     

It is clutching at straws to blame the loss on the penalty try and Marshall stripping incidents.  Both fair decisions.

Slater's effort was the turning point in the game.  He selfishly took a gamble for personal glory and it didn't come off.  Then he greatly magnified the error with his rash toss of the ball towards the try-line with the Aussie supports greatly outnumbered. Anything other than a Kiwi try from that effort would have been a surprise.

Players' worth to a side is more than what necessarily shows up in video clips.  A selfish player infects the attitude of others in the side. No surprise that Aust lost when the pressure was on, with that attitude on the field.

As for Stuart.  He unconditionally supports the likes of Gallen, Bird and Slater when they do their worst. Grubby attitudes infect team attitudes.

And the four props selected should have all been (of course) in Aust's top 17.  To not have extra genuine prop replacements in the WC squad was an astounding error of judgement.  Fitzgibbon and Topou should never have been selected.

C'mon fells lay off Stuart.  He knows that he won't win many games for the next couple of years while coaching the sharks and he realised that this was his only chance of lifting a trophy.  No wonder he was pissed.

Fitzgibbon was useless and Perry should have been in the 17 to provide some go forward against the kiwi pack.

Both decisions in my opinion were 50/50 calls, so I have no problem with either of them.

Short story is BILLY THE COCKHEAD SLATER cost us 90% of the World Cup through sheer arrogance and selfishness, and Monaghan contributed the 10% through an ILLEGAL play.

I hate Slater and Monaghan is a Ranga, they can both **** off.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4