Watmough Unleashes On DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dicko

https://www.acast.com/hellosport/hellosportpodcast-105-anthonychocwatmough

Anthony Watmough finally unleashes on Daly Cherry-Evans.

1:40 - NRL Debut, Becoming a powerhouse NRL team,

7:43 - Bad press,

9:39 - Des Hasler the coach,

11:18 - The Stewart brothers,

13:40 - Grand Final wins/Celebrations/throwing cheese burgers at the media,

19:26 - Hasler leaving Manly,

21:02 - Bad blood with DCE,

23:40 - Glenn Stewart getting pushed out,

25:18 - Paying to leave Manly,

31:25 - 2013 Grand Final: Toovey’s selection error,

37:57 - Move to Parramatta,

40:28 - In the restaurant game

Just imagine where we'd be right now if we didn't upgrade cherry and gave the money to gifty instead. Damn..... Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

FORMER Manly player Anthony Watmough has unleashed an extraordinary tirade against current skipper Daly Cherry-Evans, accusing him of trying to hold the club up for money.
Watmough told the Hello Sport podcast the halfback told Watmough he wasn’t going to turn up to training unless he was given a better deal, and says Cherry-Evans “turned into a f***wit” after his first year in the NRL.

“I said to him ‘mate, you know what we’ve (the senior playing group) sacrificed to stay together, to be successful. Your time will come’ and he just looked me straight in the eye and went ‘nah, not turning up’. So I just went ‘f*** you’.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/ead58f414e6e63b4e2bcfb7264203e97

Classic

Was a massive Watmough fan and in fact, the bloke took the mantle from BK to be the inspirational Manly leader in great times.
DCE like most NRL players, is in it to get the best he can for himself.
I don't rate him a Steve Menzies legend who played for Manly for way less than he could have earned else where, but this does not make him different from most.
This story was pretty open at the time and years later when on skid row is probably not the best time to regurgitate this stuff, add the fact Watmough left to take a better offer himself.

Turns out that Choc hates 2v more than he does Chez :cool:

Gist is Choc hates :
1)Chez getting 500k in 2012

2)Quantum Board preferring the younger players (not just Chez) over the old ones.

Manly's succession planning obviously not Choc's priority :nerd:

3)2v agreeing with Quantum, hence 'backing himself over us'.

But the Manly Board of 7 only had 2 from Quantum and 3 from Penn Sports :confused:

4)Gifty and Choc choosing to stay together at Manly then Gifty 3 years later not being renewed.

Thi is again 2v's fault :banghead:

5)2v picking Wolfie instead of Jorge for 2013 GF.

Has Choc seen Jorge under a high kick :think:

6) Hated driving to Parra as it's cold, dewey and has no beach :p

7)Was ready to take on the 'old fcks of Manly' who were in the paper telling him to pull his head in when he broke his contract with Manly.

Igor was the one in the Manly Daily - I'd back him even with his arthritic hands :giggle:

8) Bought into the 'Baz crucifying Jacko because Chez doesn't like him' myth.

Baz stated on numerous occasions that Jacko's offences occured in pre season. That Jacko's assault on Chez at Training could have been against any other team mate as it was brewing :swear:

Can see why Coc needs botox to smooth away his bitterness :nod:

I did listen to most of it. Interesting to hear the other version (side) of the story, especially about Des, DCE, what happened with Gifty and Tooves.

I'm not saying I suddenly believe everything he has said, but it just gives the 2nd side of the story to the ones that were played out in the media.

He is right about one thing though and it is thought provoking (not saying I believe it, just saying that it makes me think). Pretty much all the crap over the past 4 or 5 years at Manly, DCE has been smack bang in the middle of it. Contracts, mega contracts, issues with other players. And when you look at it, the issues with other players doesn't just stop at Manly. The Queensland Origin side doesn't want to know him. Last year they picked a guy (Hunt) who had only a few weeks before had been dropped by the Broncos to Qld Cup, yet DCE was widely acknowledged to be just about the form half of the NRL at the time and he couldn't get a look in.

Last edited:
5)2v picking Wolfie instead of Jorge for 2013 GF.
Has Choc seen Jorge under a high kick :think:
I'm pretty sure he meant to say Hiku as Tafua played (and scored the first try :p). Shows how good his memory is really and how much value his insight into the past is. That being said I think he did allude to one key point; big money and greed will be the death of the great NRL teams of the past, specifically the work done by player agents and the NRL to secure the best deals possible and excite fans over hype rather that actual week in - week out performances.

If one part of this article is a reference to the start of the 2012 season [ and after the 2011 Manly premiership ], D C E had previously signed a 3 year contract for some 130 grand a year and after being a premiership half and then selection in the Australian squad at the end of 2011 , he was no doubt more then entitled and justified in seeking a deserved upgrade . Looks like that he could have used some much better tact and approach back then to achieve this and definitely think that his back flip price was considerably excessive but again if it was the aftermarth of the 2011 season , he did have a very good case and issue for a major upgrade. Also was apparently quite content with a more modest but more realistic 850 k per season contract extension at the end of 2014 and before the back flip re signing circus that then occurred . Really need his mindset and playing level performance back to where it should be now in a big way however .

I'm pretty sure he meant to say Hiku as Tafua played (and scored the first try :p). Shows how good his memory is really and how much value his insight into the past is. That being said I think he did allude to one key point; big money and greed will be the death of the great NRL teams of the past, specifically the work done by player agents and the NRL to secure the best deals possible and excite fans over hype rather that actual week in - week out performances.
Choc also went for the money in the end as a choice !

All through the interview he resented Quantum, 2v, Chez making their own choices, somehow only Choc has a right to choose. :wait:

Choc chose to stay to play with his BFF in 2012 and claims it a sacrifice of monies (from Melbourne or some other Club) :p

Absolute cornerstone of Manlys decade of domination.

Did it turn out sh!t? Yes
Did he say **** about the club? Yes

But did this guy bleed for the club for a decade? Fuc$ yes!
Did he take unders to stay here? Fuc$ yes!
Did he fit into our culture ? Yes
I for one won’t forget that period of time. Amazing amazing team.

And just proves Mcmoney ball Evans was, is and always will be a smarmy little mercenary.

What I will find amusing is ..... that many people will believe everything Choc has said ......

That is of course excluding the bit about Baz being an outstanding coach and having done everything right at Manly (except Hastings) and that a lessor man wouldn't still be there .........

All through the interview he resented Quantum, 2v, Chez making their own choices, somehow only Choc has a right to choose. :wait:

Choc chose to stay to play with his BFF in 2012 and claims it a sacrifice of monies (from Melbourne or some other Club) :p

Agree .... he made it very clear that Gifty and he took unders to stay together ... NOT, as local legend has it, to stay FOR Manly ......

Really enjoyed it a lot.
For me it kind of confirmed a lot of things ive considered over the years .
Gotta say made me feel good and a little sad

He could have also brought all this to light at the time...but didn't want to jeopardize another big potential payday. I have little doubt that Choc's memories from then were heavily influenced by what the politicians on the other side of the fence were feeding him at the time. Sadly for us now as fans, we will probably never know the truth about what happened and what is currently going on at the club - there is far to much money involved (now and into the future) for anyone to tell it like it is (or be allowed to without serious legal and financial consequences).

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7