Wasting Away

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Looks like 2019 will be another of DCE's prime years flushed down the toilet because we lack a decent 6.

Why, after seeing how much better we fare with a Blake Green level talent to spread the pressure, do they consistently trot out people who aren't up for it? They may as well run him out with a giant sign over his head that says direct your defence here. His efforts in the rep teams show he is definitely not the problem.

Considering Winterstein is gone, have Walkers dead money off the books next year and our cap penalty ends, surely they can splash a little on a first grade level 6 at some point!

Yes was thinking the same thing. DCE goes great with good people around him as we have seen in Origin. He needs a strong pack which is moving forward over the advantage line, players that know when it's the last tackle and communicate this to him (as clearly he cannot count), a hooker that can throw an perfect pass to him and then a 5/8 who can complement him.

But then you would think that if Manly is paying DCE the reported $1 million a season then clearly he shouldn't need all this and should be able to do it all on his own. But as we know NRL isn't a one man game and one man can't do it all on his own.

When is DCE going to be judged on his merits and not of those around him supposedly stifling his talent ?? It'd be nice to be surrounded by superstars every week, but it ain't going to happen. He needs to find a way to deliver in the current set up - the good players do that. Elgey can kick a ball, Elgey can pass a ball - if DCE ends up with the ball on the 5th in a bad position then is that Elgeys fault ?? Someone is making that call - DCE, Api or Des ?? I wouldn't say that DCE's kicking game is that great that you would go to him in preference over Elgey anyway - so what's the attraction ? Just manage the game, get into a good position on the 5th and execute a good kick.

When is DCE going to be judged on his merits and not of those around him supposedly stifling his talent ?? It'd be nice to be surrounded by superstars every week, but it ain't going to happen. He needs to find a way to deliver in the current set up - the good players do that. Elgey can kick a ball, Elgey can pass a ball - if DCE ends up with the ball on the 5th in a bad position then is that Elgeys fault ?? Someone is making that call - DCE, Api or Des ?? I wouldn't say that DCE's kicking game is that great that you would go to him in preference over Elgey anyway - so what's the attraction ? Just manage the game, get into a good position on the 5th and execute a good kick.
So was it the forwards fault that Cherry missed that 1 on 1 tackle that resulted in a try . Garner is hardly a huge unit. Cherry ,s effort on Saturday was an absolute disgrace in all aspects. It is his issue our roster is uneven. I am furious with him as this happens far too often . It is nothing to do with Kane Elgey he set up the try.

So was it the forwards fault that Cherry missed that 1 on 1 tackle that resulted in a try . Garner is hardly a huge unit. Cherry ,s effort on Saturday was an absolute disgrace in all aspects. It is his issue our roster is uneven. I am furious with him as this happens far too often . It is nothing to do with Kane Elgey he set up the try.

Ahhh....I think you two are arguing the same point mate

The squad in 2017 was pretty similar to this lot and with Green at 6 they probably could have finished top 3 if Barrett wasn't coaching because they were up there a long way before falling off at the back end.

The guys not invisible out on the field. It's easy to say get in a good position on the last but the opposition defence can see that position and rush up on him. The 6 is always going to have way more time to operate until the defence feels they have to respect him more. When that happens DCE has more time too.

Can't expect DCE and Elgey to perform miracles behind a lazy arse pack of forwards who did zero to get us over the advantage line or momentum.

This was the biggest concern for me. No penetration and slow play the balls basically nullified our attack.

I think we had hardly any tackles within the opposition 20m zone.

Cohesion will improve and ball handling can be fixed, but being able to keep barreling downfield will be more difficult.

Edit: Regardless, we should have been able to find some answers when the chips were down and we didn't. No excuses on this point.

Last edited:

Not DCE's fault the roster is uneven, he signed for 800K only to have the owners drop it

For what they paid for DCE they could of got a top line half and 5/8th.

I am not saying DCE isn't a top half, of course he is, but if they had lowered their sights slightly.

The day wil come, and maybe soon, they will consider shopping him around because we can't afford him plus both Turbos.

Something will have to give in the next year or two. We aren't one of the teams that can be allowed 3 marquee players. Like it or not.

Oh I so agree with this post! Everyone makes excuses for DCE - he can be a wonderful player but generally he performs when things are going to his liking. He never seems to perform when he is under the pump. His kicking game was terrible on the weekend and his organisational skills were average/below average as normal. He needs to man up - take better options on tackle 5 and steer the side around. He also needs to take the line on way more - as does Elgey. But yes lets demand more - MUCH more from our skipper and highest paid player not make excuses about the talent around him.

I'd never criticise DCE's defence, it's one aspect of his game that is above average in comparison to his peers in the halves. Every half gets traffic run at them to try and isolate them on the fringes against a bigger man, all 16 teams use this tactic repeatedly. Imagine if we had Maloney or Moses, you'd be seeing that 1 on 1 miss numerous times a game. DCE's defence is normally very sound and he punches above his weight there week in week out.

Surely you jest Disco ,why would you bother to give anyone more than 1 week to prove that they are the 9th immortal!!!
Everyone know that competitions are won in March in round 1 FFS !! Even the "roads" scholars here on ST's know that ,I mean what are you thinking applying reason logic and common sense to the argument
Think twice next time before posting such credible statements!!!!!

This was the biggest concern for me. No penetration and slow play the balls basically nullified our attack.

I think we had hardly any tackles within the opposition 20m zone.

Cohesion will improve and ball handling can be fixed, but being able to keep barreling downfield will be more difficult.

Edit: Regardless, we should have been able to find some answers when the chips were down and we didn't. No excuses on this point.
I think you'll find the pack were struggling because the Tigers had all the momentum due to (a) handling errors, (b) penalties and (c) DCE's terrible last tackle options.

I wondered how long it would be before we got our first - sack DCE thread...
giphy.gif
I don't think critiquing DCE's performance constitutes a sack thread. Fact is, he had a bog average game on the weekend.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6