Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Eagle of London, Mar 8, 2019.
So If JDB gets to play next week Due to a loophole should we play DW in round one?
aul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph5 minutes ago Subscriber onlyBeattie admits his job is on the lineJudge: ‘NRL’s ban damaged de Belin’s career’ In court, Jack de Belin’s legal team has accused the NRL and the Australian Rugby League Commission of misleading and deceptive conduct Despite his potential availability, the Dragons are reluctant to name de Belin in their 21-man squad on Tuesday. The Daily Telegraph understands the club’s concerns not only relate to de Belin’s physical and mental wellbeing, but also the impact it could potentially have on his teammates, who will fly to Townsville on Thursday. De Belin has not played in any of the Dragons’ preseason trials and was last weekend given further time off last week when the team travelled to Mudgee for the Charity Shield against South Sydney. The Dragons are also seeking clarity from the NRL as to whether they will be allowed any salary cap concession, but this can’t be settled until de Belin’s future is clear. It could leave the Dragons with an estimated $900,000 in salary cap space for 2019 and 2020 if de Belin is banned. The Dragons still have to pay de Belin under the code’s new rules but can’t replace him because the NRL is yet to clarify its own policy that was rushed in last week. In court, de Belin has accused the NRL and the Australian Rugby League Commission of misleading and deceptive conduct, claiming neither had the power to bench him on February 28. Last week, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and ARLC chairman Peter Beattie announced de Belin as the first casualty of the new discretionary powers. But Justice Rares said that was premature and noted that Beattie, a former politician and Queensland premier, should be used to choosing his language carefully. “It’s not as though Mr Beattie is not an experienced man with words,” Justice Rares said. “It is suggesting that this player has been stood down and he hasn’t … that would be pretty damaging for anybody.” Asked to clarify, NRL barrister Alan Sullivan QC agreed the disciplinary policy will not come into force until Thursday. “He hasn’t been suspended your honour,” Mr Sullivan said. “There is nothing to stop Mr de Belin from playing rugby league from now until (then).” The back-rower is seeking damages and wants the NRL and ARLC to issue a press release and advertise in several newspapers that the Dragons No. 13 has not been suspended and is free to play. Dylan Walker has also been stood down by the NRL under the “No Fault” policy. De Belin’s barrister Martin Einfeld QC insisted a correction should also be placed on the NRL’s website “so there’s no doubt”. The Origin forward has pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman in Wollongong last December. De Belin argues public comments from the NRL and the sport’s governing body suggested they had formed a view he was guilty, warranting his “immediate suspension” from the club. His lawyers say unsubstantiated claims he had brought the game into disrepute made national headlines, causing “irreparable damage” to his reputation and financial loss. It’s a move which could leave the game’s new behaviour policy in tatters as de Belin is also seeking to permanently restrain it from being introduced into either the NRL rules or Code of Conduct. De Belin claims his career days are already numbered given his age and he’ll suffer form loss from reduced field time if the “unreasonable” ban, which is likely to extend past his October 2020 contract, continues. Court documents also show de Belin stands to lose sponsorship deals and Blues selection chances from the ARLC and NRL’s “unconscionable conduct”, which amounts to an unlawful restraint of trade. As part of the decision, suspended players facing charges for alleged violence against women or children are still paid a salary and receive access to the club, including the opportunity to train. But that policy is now under threat as should de Belin win the case, it would also mean Walker, charged with assaulting his fiance, and May, accused of filming and disseminating sex tapes without consent, would also be cleared to play.
It would be hilarious if JDB did his ACL in training this week Paying lawyers against a multi billion dollar corporation is crazy. He should spend that on his criminal defense and expediting his court date to clear his name
The NRL will have to pay costs, then they will enact the new rule and suspend him properly .
Or he loses and JDB pays NRL Costs plus damages to their brand Legal cases are always a risk and you need deep pockets to keep up with the process
He would be getting backing from someone connected to the club. Just not in an official, on the books capacity
I am caught between options 2 and 4, which are miles apart. Its just that the NRL are happy to have that goose at Bronco's play ....... oh well its always been 1 rule for some and the hard line for others.
option 4 for me as it all revolves around the player but if found guilty there should be major repercussions, not just a year off and then off to the chooks/bongos on the cheap.
And his misdemeanours are in fact far far worse than what Walker did!!
I'm ALL about winning and maybe the court ruling is the fair way to go....but we need standards in our own backyard. The problem here is not just the NRL, court rulings or controversy about the inconsistency of what is right or wrong - it's the individual. I was not there and personally, am a NON believer of MOST media dog sh**, but Walker has a track record and has given them reason to grill him....again. Hope he delivers on the field and this crap is all a thing of the past.....1 thing for sure - a big Red letter "This is your final Warning" needs to be put under his nose and pretty sure it will be. The DeBellin issue is a complete other thing - I feel Manly need to work on its own moral compass and maintain high integrity regardless of what other clubs/NRL is doing.
Does that backing get included in the salary cap?
How is JDB potentaiily playing via a loophole ? The NRL are trying to enforce rules that are not even in the rulebook !
I don't think he has any choice. 2 years out of the game is effectively the end of a career that pays him $600k/year, and they've trashed his reputation so its not like he'll walk into a media gig! This is for a first (as far as I know) - unproven - "offence". The Court can determine whether he is guilty or not and if he is he will suffer the consequences and only has himself to blame. If he's guilty he should be jailed in my opinion, and the NRL will be the least of his worries. But for now, if I was him I'd be giving them everything I've got. Good luck to him.
Im 100 per cent with Maxta This was all so easy and it’s ended up a mess. Walker should have got four weeks from Penn for chasing his wife and kid around the front yard in public after an argument over a video game ffs which resulted in her being that scared she called the cops- and for being a serial problem child. Whether he assaulted his wife I’ll leave that to the courts. But with his form it was grub behaviour by any standards. A suspension from the club itself shows sponsors and fans this is not what our club stands for. He should also have got the LAST CHANCE chat. Actually give him an extra two weeks and 10 minutes in a room with Luke Lewis for being that stupid he actually argues with another adult over a video game!! The rest should be left to the courts and if guilty then he should be punted out of NRL. If not play on with that last chance card tattooed to his forehead But The Turd and Beatup had other ideas ..
wonder if he will play this weekend if de belin wins his court case which ends on Wednesday i think
Team has to be submitted by 4pm Tuesday though
Yes be interesting indeed.
In this case I think that would be over ruled .....
There is no room for him in our team !!! Don’t need him ! He has had enough warnings
Walker will walk right into our team if the case is overturned .
Separate names with a comma.