Vlandy's adds new team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has confirmed the league will move ahead with plans to add a 17th team to the competition in time for the 2023 season.

A decision on the new franchise, which will finally give Brisbane its second NRL team, could be made as early as June, according to V'landys who detailed the developments to the Sydney Morning Herald.

"It's very realistic to say that we'll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023," V'landys said.

"From what I've seen and the presentations that have been given to me, they are well advanced. If I said 2022 they'd be ready. They've been doing work for years. There's no reason why we can't be up and running in 2023.

"The one thing that I am impressed with is how advanced these bids are. They are not mucking around. They are serious. If we came to a decision in June this year, that would give them a year and a half. It's plenty of time. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen mid this year.

The bids vying for the NRL's new opening include the Brisbane Bombers, Brisbane Firehawks (Easts Tigers), Ipswich and Redcliffe Dolphins.

Last year, V'landys and NRL chief Andrew Abdo reportedly travelled to the United States where it is believed they received the blessing for expansion from News Corp co-chairman Lachlan Murdoch, who last year rubber-stamped Foxtel's pay television rights extension until 2027.

Last year, V'landys revealed on Nine's 100% Footy that the league was only interested in expansion if it was in Brisbane.

V'landys said the game's intentions were to avoid "rusted AFL states" and focus on improving the NRL's stranglehold on the Queensland market.

"If there is a 17th team, it will be in Brisbane, no doubt about that," V'landys told Nine's 100% Footy.

"That's where the market is, that's where we are strong. No good spending a lot of money in rusted on AFL states in my view.

"You want to go to the states where you have the nurseries and have the population that loves the game.

V'landys reveals NRL's expansion plans​

"But before we do that, it's got to be a pretty strong business case. You just can't go there without making sure both the Broncos are not affected, and the Titans are not affected.

"We don't want to cannibalise them at all. So, there's a long way to go because it needs to really stack up commercially.

"I like the fact that players can get a bye. That helps their mental well-being, they can always look forward to having that weekend off during the year, so there's that benefit. But it has to stack up commercially."

Last year, V'landys and NRL chief Andrew Abdo reportedly travelled to the United States where it is believed they received the blessing for expansion from News Corp co-chairman Lachlan Murdoch, who last year rubber-stamped Foxtel's pay television rights extension until 2027.

(This part irks me off)

So all sides would receive an automatic bye through the normal course of a season with 17 teams and then probably another adjustment if two byes would still be the preferred option . Then some teams not quite as advantaged if they would play any new club very early in the season but unavoidable i guess . Still no consideration of Perth but in the present environment quite understandable . The 20 team comp at one stage in the 90 's seemed viable enough so should be able to manage a 17 team format . Broadcasting rights are the bread and butter of revenue sources [ must be a pun in that somewhere ] for quite some time now so hardly seems that important who the main players are or where any critical discussions take place .

So all sides would receive an automatic bye through the normal course of a season with 17 teams and then probably another adjustment if two byes would still be the preferred option . Then some teams not quite as advantaged if they would play any new club very early in the season but unavoidable i guess .

Should we take votes on when our bye would be, week 1, 2 or 3. Sometime of no value whatsoever

Should we take votes on when our bye would be, week 1, 2 or 3. Sometime of no value whatsoever
Naturally can see the light hearted side but generally always a tough , hard season for all sides[ and niggling injuries almost inevitable ] and having byes early or very early byes is going to disadvantage some sides .

Be interesting how much consideration is given in regard to Redcliffe and Easts Tigers having large and apparently quite profitable Leagues clubs Brisbane Bombers [ or consortium ] previously had a pretty organized and good financially based proposal [ although no existing Leagues club ] , not too sure about this Ipswich based proposal . No idea really except that the Bombers seemed the front runners early on .

My preference would be to bring in either a team based out of Redcliffe or the Sunshine Coast and then another in Perth at the same time.

Having a team in Perth opens up a big Saturday worth of League with games at 1pm (played in Auckland), 3pm, 5:30pm, 7:30pm and 9:30pm (played in Perth). All times are EST.

Whoever the new team is, I wonder whether they will try and jag the current QLD captain on a juicy 3 year deal? Getting a new club up and running is no small feat, and they will need a marquee player to be front and centre, do all the promo work etc, and it will no doubt help to have someone with a QLDer with a big profile.

Whoever the new team is, I wonder whether they will try and jag the current QLD captain on a juicy 3 year deal? Getting a new club up and running is no small feat, and they will need a marquee player to be front and centre, do all the promo work etc, and it will no doubt help to have someone with a QLDer with a big profile.

Yes possibly, and for us that may not be such a bad thing!!

Probably inevitable but an extra two N R L teams would be diluting the present player pool a bit , at least initially and would need a bigger revenue pie . Maybe some more Poms to ear mark , still think that there must be plenty of footy talent in South Africa and worth a look , particularly with Perth and of course the present overseas locations like Kiwiland , P N G and Fiji . Was the occasional South African footy import in past eras

Yes possibly, and for us that may not be such a bad thing!!
I agree. While he is one of my favourite players and I love the idea of a one club player, the Shoe will be demanding big money in the not too distant future and DCE's hefty salary sure would be handy.... If I was running the new QLD team, DCE would be in my top two to be the inaugural captain (first target would be Munster).

Redcliffe for me

Then Perth in 2025 to make it 18 teams

Perth Bears anyone?

I can't believe the people in charge of the Bombers consortium are staying with that name. Idiots. How about they change it to the terrorists, jihadis, murderers or some similar name?

I'm sure sponsors will be falling over themselves to be associated with bombers.

Last edited:
I'd like the Bears back in some shape but NSW has too many teams.

I'm a fan of a New franchise taking on history and colours of an old club like the Bears or Jets.

Perth Jets

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8