V'landy missing V'landy-ball (game speed)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
There's a'rumblin that the game is too slow with 151 more penalties so far this year than last.
Plus the wrestle, etc.

ARL chairman Peter V’landys will raise concerns over the speed of the game and the impact of wrestling on the sport’s most potent attacking players at Tuesday’s Commission meeting.

There is a growing feeling of discontent around the wrestle creeping back into the game in 2022, which will be explored when the directors catch up.

It comes after a report in The Sun-Herald which outlined concerns from a leading NRL coach that the game’s most exciting players are being strangled by defence and the wrestle as time-wasting resurfaces in the game.

V’landys confirmed to the Herald on Sunday that there was a concern over the trend in the opening four rounds of the season.

“We are noticing that the wrestle is working its way back into the game,” V’landys said. “The Commission has previously given an edict to eradicate the wrestle and make sure players aren’t slowing down the ruck, but it’s sneaking back in.

-
because the refs are incapable of doing a non - biased job correctly, and should be replaced with turnips.

Leading coaches are privately fuming at the way the game’s most exciting players are being strangled by defence and the wrestle as time-wasting resurfaces in the game.

It seems like only yesterday that the buzzword in rugby league was “fatigue”, as the NRL looked to eliminate the wrestle, stoppages and free up the best attacking players.

The findings are surprising and include:
■ There were 319 more runs made by players in the opening three rounds of 2021 compared to the first three rounds of 2022;
■ Total metres made were 2456 more in 2021 compared to 2022;
■ Total line breaks were 12 more in 2021 compared to 2022;
■ There were 28 more offloads in 2021 compared to 2022, indicating there are more players in tackles;
■ There have been 151 more penalties in 2022 compared to 2021 following the change to the six-again rule, which is the big difference in the way the game is being played. That’s 151 more stoppages. Each penalty takes about 30 seconds from the time they are blown to play restarting, so that’s 75 minutes extra time lost in the first 24 games of the season. There has been an average of 12 penalties a game in 2022, adding up to about six minutes of wasted time each game;
■ There were 159 six agains in the first three rounds of 2021 compared to 87 in 2022, a difference of 72;
■ The GPS data is perhaps also revealing, the document showing fullbacks and hookers are running about one kilometre less each game in 2022 compared to 2021, and halves are running about 800 metres a game less.

“It’s very early to be drawing conclusions about trends based on the data after just three rounds,” NRL head of football Graham Annesley said.

But I will now use three rounds of data to prove I am doing a great job by saying:

“However, on what we have seen so far, the average time the ball is in play is marginally up on last year and the number of play-the-balls is pretty much the same, so any suggestion there has been a significant deterioration in the flow and continuity of the game would seem premature.

- add to that, I can't do my job unless it is to find minor stats to prove I am doing a great job. I'm totally ineffectual and would quit but I like smoothies derp de derp.

“It’s also relevant to note that average game margins across the first three rounds have been closer than at any time since the formation of the NRL 25 years ago.”

The coaches I spoke to conclude that, because of the increase in penalties, defensive lines are set and the fatigue levels of players have been reduced, resulting in increased line speed. Coaches also believe the lack of fatigue is making the wrestle more effective. All of which means the best attacking players are having less impact.

this years draw with lots of free to air games . while the big PV is dishing out the messages, its who is in his ear that matters

Ch9 had a horror run last year with the bronx ratings duds, as bonco fans went fishing instead of enduring the humble realities of being a fan and the hunger being the competition bitch gives you,

but tom was killing it as ch 9 joined the club in admitting they also wanted a tom. and while privately they probably want us to lose, tommy and co in flight sell **** tonnes of colonel frankenchicken bits

could be a really helpful draw considering all the talk of the advantaged teams whirling about

• 👍
Reactions: max
The only game this year that was reffed like last season was our opening game v Penrith.....when we got reamed by the ref in the opening exchanges, and killed us for the match.

Clearly after that match, there has been a shift to slow the ruck down.

Now PVL wants to speed it up again.

For ****s sake.....pick an interpretation and stick with it, so teams can roster and train for however they are intending to interpreting the rules.

He must have spoken to his cronies Sunday morning as he would have been happy with yesterdays results

They underestimated the impact of removing the 6again in the 40. Should only have been inside the 20 or on tackle one or two as that’s where the deliberate infringing came.

GE - love your article inserts. You're what journalism needs.
A couple of blowout scores yesterday regardless of whatever's going on....
Free Tommy Turbo!
Stop rolling all over him and mushing him into the ground you f**ks!
In other rugby league news Papenhuyzen should be jailed for his ridiculous mullet!

Well start with the teams most guilty. Penrith, Storm, Parra just given way too much leeway in holding down and moving up in defense before the ball has been played.

****ing no

No
No
No
No
No

The quality of the game is back this year. It is consistent.

In vlandysball last year one team would dominate for a long period. They walked through the middle and wrestled the opposition to exhaustion in the opposition half. Happened to us all the time if we didn’t start fast. The wrestle was never eliminated as Vlandy’s likes to claim, that is an absolute myth. It only became concentrated.

Once momentum flipped, the opposition team would sometimes do the same for a period, giving the illusion of a back and forth game. More often though it’d be far too late before momentum turned, and the team that started slow would be worn down and make basic errors, continuing their domination. It completely disrupted the natural back and forth flow of a game

This year, games are close. Games are more natural. It is back and forth. Yes it is slightly slower, but that notion of speed in the 6 again form of the game was generally developed due to one team blowing the other off the park and blitzing through the middle. And why is speed such a trigger word at the moment? It’s still a fast paced sport ffs.

Who cares about trbo/teddy and the like. They will improve, it’s only early season. They are still stars. The game shouldn’t change just to try push stars to a higher pedastal. They just want to milk them for ads and marketing.

I hope no one genuinely blames the rules for our poor (ish) start.. That is an easy, naive scapegoat. We looked bad in game 1-3 from in the first 10 minutes, the rules had no effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Annesley said): “It’s also relevant to note that average game margins across the first three rounds have been closer than at any time since the formation of the NRL 25 years ago.”
Great, except it's also relevant to note that this year we've seen some of the worst quality games ever endured by fans since the formation of the NRL....

****ing no

No
No
No
No
No

The quality of the game is back this year. It is consistent.

In vlandysball last year one team would dominate for a long period. They walked through the middle and wrestled the opposition to exhaustion in the opposition half. Happened to us all the time if we didn’t start fast. The wrestle was never eliminated as Vlandy’s likes to claim, that is an absolute myth. It only became concentrated.

Once momentum flipped, the opposition team would sometimes do the same for a period, giving the illusion of a back and forth game. More often though it’d be far too late before momentum turned, and the team that started slow would be worn down and make basic errors, continuing their domination. It completely disrupted the natural back and forth flow of a game

This year, games are close. Games are more natural. It is back and forth. Yes it is slightly slower, but that notion of speed in the 6 again form of the game was generally developed due to one team blowing the other off the park and blitzing through the middle. And why is speed such a trigger word at the moment? It’s still a fast paced sport ffs.

Who cares about trbo/teddy and the like. They will improve, it’s only early season. They are still stars. The game shouldn’t change just to try push stars to a higher pedastal. They just want to milk them for ads and marketing.

I hope no one genuinely blames the rules for our poor (ish) start.. That is an easy, naive scapegoat. We looked bad in game 1-3 from in the first 10 minutes, the rules had no effect.
So very true

Personally I prefer the slightly slower game when I'm watching non Manly games and I can't stand mid season chopping and changing of the rules but at the end of the day Manly Prems are all that matters so the faster the better.

V’landys is off his head. The quality of games has been great and it feels like the fabric of the game has returned ten-fold this season.

People complained about the quality of the Thursday nights game of the titans vs tigers but I’d rather have watched that game than the bore fest of parra vs dragons blowout.

Last edited:
V’landys is off his head. The quality of games has been great and it feels like the fabric of the game has returned ten-fold last week.

People complained about the quality of the Thursday nights game of the titans vs tigers but I’d rather have watched that game than the bore fest of parra vs dragons blowout.

After 2 years of boredom from pandemic-inspired shutdowns and a painfully long wait for NRL to finally return - don't you think there are any rusted on league fans who don't even bother to watch many games, or start to but then switch off? I can tell you there's at least one!
I find the slowing of the play the ball by the usual suspects just terrible to watch.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6